Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Need information about Durmstick cultivation

Register

Click Here!

iusfff

Is there anybody who can provide information, As I am new to the field of agriculture, I want to do Drumstick cultivation. I have NO problem of water, I want to know wether my land which is a mixture of clayey and red soil is suitable for Drumstick cultivation. I request you to provide information regarding suitale soil, procedure of pre plantation and size of pits, best suitable variety, how many plants per acre, cost of seeds, total cost of plantation upto the start of yield. Also I want to know that the suppliers will supply seeds or saplings, and any more information about Drumstick cultivation and to achive maximum from this cultivation.
Along with this I also want to know that can we put some other crops between the plants of drumstick?
Thanking you . Muhammad Iqbal,
Please contact........

Last edited by a moderator:

kirti s

Dear sir,

drumstick is wonderful and hardy which requires minimum maintainens cost of seeds

Cultivation

The drumstick tree is widely cultivated in tropical Africa, tropical America, Sri Lanka, India, Mexico, Malaysia and the Philippines. The drumstick tree can be propagated using seeds or cuttings. Seeds may be sown directly in the field or in seedbeds and the seedlings transplanted to the field after 2 to 3 months. Mature stem cuttings 3 to 5 ft (1 - 1.5 m) long can also be used for planting. The tree grows rapidly, producing the first fruits within 6-12 months of planting, depending on the cultivar. The drumstick leaves and pods are used as vegetables, aphrodisiac, food and medicine in Asia . The flowers are consumed either mixed and cooked with other foods or fried in batter. Tender leaves are used to flavor ghee and to enhance the shelf-life of ghee.
suitable varites.coimbatore 1, coimbatore 2, PKM 1 , PKM 2
Refer this site also for the varietal characteristics.............D R U M S T I C K I N D I A

Cost of cultivation Rs/hectare

Sr.
No. Operation Method Local check Demonstration
1. Land preparation 0 0
Ploughing Tractor 1000 1000
Harrowing Tractor 500 500
Land preparation Tractor 1800 1800
2 Seedling 1510 3775
3 Seedling Transplanting 1500 1500
4 FYM 1000 2000
5 Chemical fert. 0 3125
0 0
0 0
0 0
6 Plant protection 0 5000
7 Pruning & Intercultivation 3775 8550
8 Harvesting 1800 2250
9 Total cost of cultivation 12885

10 Yield (qt./ha) 44 72
11 Rate (Rs./Qtl) Rs. 500/- Rs.750/-
12 Gross return Rs. 22000/- Rs 54000/-
13 Net return Rs. 10115/- Rs. 24500/-
14 Additional Income/ha Rs. 14,385/-

cost varies from place to place this is just an reference.

Regards

Kirti s