Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Need advice for a novice farming

Register

Click Here!

jagsrao

Hello,

I intend to start small time farming near Kanakpura, Bangalore. I need advice on the crops that are short term, high yield and less labor intensive. Can anyone please suggest something ?

3gfarm

That's a lot of good information PA, thanks. I am also located in the same area as JA and would be interested in following the zero budget farming with SML mix. Any suggestions and help is highly appreciated. My land is about 2 acres and is kind of terraced.

padmanabhan_ganesan

If you are want to go with ZBNF, it already provides the various crops that go along with the main crop. So, you can completely get the information from the ZBNF folks or buy the ZBNF books and follow it.

My suggestion if you are not following ZBNF would be to go for Agroforestry model and my blog has different aspects related to that.

Identify the main crops (basically Long Term Crops like Mango, Chikoo etc) that grows well in your area and depending on the soil etc. Then you can drill down further from there.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
http://agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

3gfarm

Thanks for further inputs and advise on ZBNF. Your blog posts are very informative, as well. As of now I plan to start the ZB way. Knowing the location, can you suggest a suitable mix of timber and fruit trees in the long term category? Rest of the area could be used in annuals and herbs, perhaps and inter crops!!!!!!

padmanabhan_ganesan

Instead of me giving the trees, I suggest you to search for "Checklist of Commercial Varieties of Fruits" published by Govt of India, Ministry of Agriculture, Department of Agriculture and Cooperation.

I have a copy of 2013 but you should be able to get the latest from the net. It gives the complete details along with the varieties as well.

Timber Trees - Teak, Mahogany, etc depending on the age.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
http://agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com