Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Gurmail Singh Dhonsi - Devises rapid compost aerator to ventilate, humidify and mix bio waste

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Devises rapid compost aerator to ventilate, humidify and mix bio waste

“I took one month to understand how earthworm turns waste into manure! Based on the same principal I designed compost aerator to produce natural manure from bio waste. It is invention for the farmers to help them produce chemical free fertilizer right in their farm,” says Mr. Gurmail Singh Dhonsi, 55, serial innovator of agricultural machinery. He hails from Padampur, Shriganganagar district, Rajasthan.
Gurmail Singh Dhonsi.jpg
Mr. Gurmail Singh Dhonsi

Compost Aerator has received many accolades for being unique to agriculture. Its distinctive features are that the machine can turn and mix biomass of size 6.5 ft x 2.5 ft (i.e. about total 1200 tons) in an hour and consumes 3.5-4.0 litre diesel for the purpose. The compost has better fertility value as compared to farmyard manure and vermicompost. “It has more nitrogen content. The machine maintains optimum temperature for making compost,” he claims.

It is tractor driven machine, consisting a rotor shaft at which number of straight blades made of carbon steel are fixed to cut and thoroughly mix the bio-wastes while adding moisture as well. The entire process has been mechanized. “The machine can be attached to any make and model of tractor of size 50 hp or above. The rotor, which is 16” in diameter, is nine feet long. Its 9”blades are helpful for breaking, chopping into small pieces, mixing and lining the biomass. The blade is made of carbon steel and suffers no wear and tear,” informs Mr. Dhonsi.
Gurmail Singh Dhonsi receiving award from Sharad Powar.jpg

Compost Aerator has hydraulic jack to facilitate the up and down movement of the rotor. At the side of the tractor, a water tank with 1500 litre capacity has been provided. This water is used to moisten the compost while the rotor blades are turning the heap of biomass. A weight box has been provided next to the water tank to maintain balance during movement.

While the rotor rotates and the blades cut the biomass, moisture is also added to the mixture. To cover the entire heap of biomass, the tractor is slowly moved from one end of the heap to the other. This operation is repeated four to five times at an interval of about five days in summer and interval of seven days in winter. As a result the total time for converting biomass into manure reduces to 25 -40 days, as against 120-150 days using conventional methods. The machine can cover a row of wastes disbursed by 100 trailers of size 11 ft x 6.5 ft x 2.5 ft (i.e. about 400 ton) in one hour consuming fuel about 3.5-4.0 litre per hour. “The machine reduces the dependency on labour, as the waste does not have to be collected in pits. The waste is spread in rows on the ground and then processed by the machine,” he highlights.

Compost Aerator makes compost out of cow-dung, livestock excreta, domestic refuse, fallen leaves, vegetable and fruit waste, putrefying matter from the roadside, plant waste and so on. “Farmer needs to ensure the waste does not have plastic in any form, glass or stones. Rest all other bio waste and farm waste is turned into manure. Only compulsory ingredient in the waste should be minimum 25% fresh cow dung. The machine takes the waste load by itself,” he elaborates.

Speaking of cost benefit ratio he says, “My machine reduces the long period of 6-8 months to 20 to 45 days and the huge cost of Rs. 3-4 thousand per ton incurred by conventional machines to just 2 Rupees per ton. To process 12,000 tons farm waste (3000 trolley loads), the machine takes 10 hours. A tractor requires diesel of 40 litres to work for 10 hours. A driver takes Rs. 500 as payment to work for 10 hours. To make 12,000-ton organic manure, 10 hours of tractor duty is required four times, spread over 20-45 days, i.e. 40 hours. The driver and diesel cost for 40 hours amount to Rs. 11400. The fully prepared compost costs Rs. 2 per ton or 20 paise per quintal!” The output of the machine is the maximum and expenses minimum. This enables the farmers to get organic manure very cheap and in a matter of days. The maintenance cost of the machine is nil.

Agricultural machinery, equipments and implements have always been childhood associates of Mr. Dhonsi since he was a young boy. “Machinery became my life when I was only 7 years old. I got immense satisfaction in fixing the machinery of all types. As a youth when I observed any accidents or tribulations in farming activities I always resolved it by designing the machine. For example mustard threshing in my village lead to demise of some farmers as their process was incorrectly executed. Therefore I modified a combine harvester originally suitable for wheat and paddy to suit mustard crop. It was a huge success but unfortunately all my discoveries and inventions got copied!” he shares. Nevertheless Mr. Dhonsi continued to develop new machinery. Latest invention in his kitty is compost aerator.

Compost aerator has brought Mr. Dhonsi the name and fame he deserved all his life. Along with the awards the model of compost aerator has been showcased at the invention museum at President House, New Delhi. “I am delighted with this honour,” he adds. The machine is being sold across the country.

Sharing the future plans Mr. Dhonsi concludes, “I am next working on fodder processing machine. This shall assist the farmers with handling the fodder on the farm as well as in transportation. I am committed for life to make farming activities hassle free.”

Contact details:

Dhonsi Mechanizations
Office: In front of Utshav Palace, Main Road, Padampur, Rajasthan
Factory: H-56, Industrial Area, Padampur, District Shriganganagar, Rajasthan
Phone: 01505-223570, +91- 94146-31570, 94615-62570
E-mail : info@dhonsimechanizations.com
Web: http://www.dhonsimechanizations.com/

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)