Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Guidance to start-up spirulina cultivation

Register

Click Here!

shaibatulhamd

I am 59 yrs of age and presently living in Nagpur, Maharashtra. I am interested in cultivating Spirulina. Where can I learn how to cultivate Spirulina. I shall be very grateful if anybody can guide me. Actually i want to become an entrepreneur doing business in Spirulina. The product is very good and has many health benefits. I want to make it as a passion.
Regards.
S.H.NADEEM

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashwini

Hi

For passion you can cultivate it in the following way..

DESCRIPTION

Spirulina is an edible micro-algae. It is toxic-free, rich in proteins and vitamins and has a high medicinal value. A simple and cheap technology has been developed for rural women to cultivate spirulina at home, requiring little space and investment. This can be a profitable industry as dried spirulina can be sold at about Rs. 300/- per kg.

MATERIALS

Three mud pots of 35 to 40 litre capacity/25 sq.m. of exposed and protected space.

MEDIUM

Bio-gas slurry and 2-3 grams of sea salt or chemical medium (Potassium dihydrogen Phosphate, Cooking Soda and Sodium Chloride); and Pure Spirulina Culture.

WORKING

The three mud pots are buried upto their necks in the ground, filled with water mixed with the medium. Bio-gas slurry is the cheapest nutrient medium for spirulina culture. A small quantity of pure spirulina is put into the medium. (In the initial stage, the nutrient medium has to be supplied to the producer as stock-solution for ready mixing). The medium has to be stirred 3 to 4 times a day as the spirulina can not grow in a stagnant medium. The pots have to be exposed to sunlight as the spirulina takes 3 to 4 days to mature. The mature spirulina (When the pale medium turns into dark green) can be harvested by a simple cloth-filtration. After washing the spirulina in fresh water (to remove the adhering chemicals), it can be directly mixed with the chapatti / dough, chutnies, noodles, dais, vegetables etc. (about 2% by weight). Spirulina can be preserved by drying it in the shade. It must be dried immediately to preserve its quality and value.

ADVANTAGES

Spirulina grown in 3 earthen pots of 35-40 litre capacity is sufficient to provide 2 grams per day (per person) high-quality spirulina powder to meet 100% vitamin A and 200% vitamin B-12 requirement, daily.

l
Pots are easy to handle as compared to concrete-lined ponds or polythene-lined pits.

l
Pots can be replaced easily, if damaged, and can be shifted, if necessary.

l
Pot-cultures can be maintained for long periods if no infection, contamination, or other mishaps occur.

l
More pots can be manufactured by village women with minimum additional effort.

SOURCE

Dr. C.V. Sheshadri, Amm Marugappa Chmtiar Research Centre, Algal Division, Saverivyar Puram, Pudukkotai Dist., Tamilnadu

Regards
Ashwini

d_dharmarajan

Hi,

If you want to do Spirulina cultivation as a business, you can search the net for more information. Growing in mud pots in a small quantity may not be sufficient for selling the spirulina. You should have enough land and infrastructure to cultivate spirulina for large scale production. Search for "Spirulina cultivation" in you tube. You may find more information there.

Regards,
D.Dharmarajan

ryan_m

Education makes our life easy and we able to get the desired job to live batter life. The assignment service update would help all the student and they must get the benefit as well. Thanks for your help that would be a great idea you have a share.