Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Growing Stevia Rebaudiana - First Time Farming

Register

Click Here!

vasukinv

My father has about 1.6 Acres of land which isn't currently being used right now. So, I'm planning to cultivate Stevia Rebaudiana there.

1. How much time do I need to spend there myself? - After hiring labourers and NO manager to supervise.
2. How much money would I need to invest if I want to invest for just .5 acre? - For preparing soil (bed), cattle manure, plants, irrigation system, harvesting and anything I'm missing, if any.
3. What months in a year are appropriate to plant? - I'm in a small town in the western ghats.
4. How long does the crop take to payback the invested money? - Provided the quality of leaves will be normal.
5. What are the possible risks of cultivating Stevia Rebaudiana? - Like diseases, pests and/or anything.

kirti s

Hello Sir
Stevia plant grow best in rich, well drained soils like red and sandy loam soils.
The soil should be of fine tilt and natural ph. level.

The site should not be susceptible to flooding of or pudding.

Stevia plants are planted 25,000-30,000 with plant to plant distance 8-9 cm.
This plant will grow to about 1-2' high and wide.

Frequent light watering is recommended during the summer months while during winter months as the bed starts loosing moisture .

Stevia plants responds well to fertilizers with lower nitrogen content than fertilizer with Phosphoric Acids or potash content.

There is no pest and disease incidence in this crop.

First harvest can be made after 3 months while the subsequent harvest can be made every 3 months for 3-5 years.

Subsidy may also be available from National Medicinal Plants Board.
Financial support from Banks should be available for the cultivation of Stevia.

Cost of cultivation:(1 acre)
The cost of planting material may reach to Rs. 1,35,000.00/-
Cost of cultivation & input expenses - Rs. 10,000.00/-
Labour charges during planting, weeding charges-Rs. 5000/-
Harvesting: Rs. 10,000/-
Total cost may reach upto: Rs. 1,60,000/-
Average returns: Rs. 2,00,000/- year

regards
Kirti