Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Goat Feed and Feed Cost in Stall fed system

Register

Click Here!

lramkumar

Dear All,

I am from Tamilnadu, India. I am planning to start a Goat farm, I have attended some goat farm trainings. However still I have Queries on Goat feed and Feed cost.

In Goat farm trainings they said about 3 types of Feeds.

1. Green Feed
2. Dry Feed
3. Concentrate feed

Green feeds include - Tree, plant and grass variety

Tree Varieties - Subabul, Gliricidia sepium, Agathi, Neem, Kodukapuli etc..
Plant varieties - Velimasal (Desmanthus virgatus), Kudirai masal (alfalfa), Soundal etc..
Grass variety - COFS29, CO4, Guinea Grass, Corn etc..

Dry Feed:

Dry feed includes - COF29, ground nut leaves, Corn etc.

My Queries are..

Query1: What is the best and cheap concentrate mix (ingredients) that will be converted to good meat ratio?. What is the percentage of the ingredients to be?. What will be the concentrate feed cost for it per goat per day?

Query2: Is there any alternate feed (Green or Dry) for concentrate feed which will give the same energy, vitamins and minerals etc...

Query3: What is the best green feed mix (ingredients) to give goats and what is the proposition of the ingredients?

Query4: What is the best Dry feed mix (Ingredients) to give goats and what is the proposition of the ingredients?

Kindly advice me in this regard.

Regards,

Ram

Last edited:

smy82482

1.The best concentrated feed with low costing is your farm residue.You can use husk of any pulses.Concentrated feed cost varies from kid to adult goat.Kids eats very less where as adult will eat more.
2.Alternate feed for concentrated feed, can be used are silage and hydroponic fodder.
3.The best green feed includes-green maize,subabul,alfa alfa(lucern) and co4,ratio 25% of each.
4.Best dry feed- remains of jowar or wheat or rice or any pulses.
Regards,
Dr.Shaikh
Phd in Goat Farming.
www.goatfarm.co.in
Osmanabadi Goat