Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Goat Farming

Register

Click Here!

surifarm

Hi,

I have 10 acres of land with water facilities,in Chittor District,Andra Pradesh. I am planning to start a Goat/Sheep farming with in due course of time after analyzing business opportunity, pros & cons.

I am yet to decide weather to go for sheep or goat farming. Could some one guide me the differences.

Could some one please let me know the fact sets of this business in technical, financial aspects.

I am interested to know what would be the budget i would require if have to start with 500 sheep or goats, what would be the technical farm requirements?
how about feeding?
how much land i need for 500 ?
how about labor requirement?
how about budget?

Regards,
Surendra Reddy

Last edited by a moderator:

asadrazvi2000

Dear Surender,
Nice to more and more people from A.P in this Goat Buisenss. Below are the answers to your queries
1-technical Report – Please Contact us by Email.
2-FOR 500 Goats you need 10 Acres of land with fodder such as Maize, jawar, Lucerne, Stylo Scabra, Hybrid Napier RBN13,Egytian Clover and Subabul.
3-For 150 Goats you need 1 Skilled + 1 Helper Labour
4-26 Lakhs only Live Stock and this is Price for Osmanabadi Goats

mmkhan

-=[ Help needed ]=-

Hello there,

Sorry for writing into other's thread :p

I am really interested to start a Sheep farm. My friend got a land which is surrounded by others open land that can be used for taking sheep for food.

I don't have any any idea about the same as I am very new to it.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Infact, I am looking for a step-by-step guidance.

Please help.

Regards,
Mohammed

garao56

Goat/Sheep Farm - Sri Surender Reddy

Dear Sri Surender Reddy, if you 10 acres of land in chittoor District go for sheep rearing 500 eves + 25 rams scheme under semi intensive method of rearing . Goats require leaves of trees or busy forest must be available nearby to your land . Feeding can be supplied by making silage.

Please have the following basic information on sheep rearing:
1.shed has to be constructed.
2.Stylo Hemata and Anjan grasses are to rasied in the 10 acre plot
3.Besides ouside grazing /silage can be prepared and fed to the sheep under stall feeding conditions.

There is NABARD scheme for sheep rearing and the particualrs are furnished here below:
GUIDELINES FOR SCHEME FOR INTEGRATED DEVELOPMENT OF SMALL RUMINANTS AND RABBITS

1. Background
1.1. Sheep, and goats are reared by the most poor of the rural population and they provide our society with meat, wool, milk and manure. These animals have wide adaptability to suit many of the agro-climatic conditions. The contribution of the sector to rural economy estimated at Rs.2400 crore mostly to sustain landless, marginal and small farmers. It forms 10% of total value of livestock products. Though our country has around 41 breeds of sheep and 20 breeds of goat, very little scientific breeding has been done to improve their performance at the field level. Efforts to import exotic germplasm to crossbreed local animals have not been successful.
1.2 Poor awareness of the role played by the sector for the downtrodden; absence of attention by the planners/ bankers; lack of focus on improving performance of animals are reasons for the sector remaining backward. There are no farmers’ organisations to help them. There are no schemes aimed at this sector at the national level. Their problems are getting acute as fodder availability in the migratory routes is drying up. It is necessary to organise and educate them in the latest technologies available and ensure that animals are selected for better performance and make use of locally available resources.
1.3 The present proposal addresses the past neglect.
2. Objectives of the Scheme
The main objectives of the scheme are:
i. To encourage sheep/goat/rabbit rearing farmers to go in for commercial rearing rather than subsistence farming by providing incentives for performance.
ii. The production performance of native breeds will be improved by regular selection and culling based on measurable indicators.
iii. Facilitate marketing based on acceptable norms so that producer gets a fair share of the price paid by ultimate consumer for the meat.
iv. To encourage value addition of the products locally and help farmer realise a better income from the animals.
3. Implementing Period and Area of Operation
The scheme will be implemented during the remaining XI Plan period with a focus on 114 districts for small ruminants and 12 districts for rabbits in 24 states ( Annexure I). State Level Sanction and Monitoring Committee (SLSMC) can include new areas in their State taking into account potential in such areas.
4. Eligibility
4.1. Individual farmers, SHGs are the intended beneficiaries for setting up rearing units. Preference would be given for traditional shepherds, women, SC and STs.
4.2. Individual farmers, NGO’s , Companies would be eligible for breeding farms with preference for those who have organised the farmers into groups for taking up rearing of small ruminants and rabbits.
5. Project Costs and ceilings on Interest Free Loan (IFL).
5.1. The indicative project costs and ceiling on IFL for different activities are given below
S.No Component Total financial outlay
(Rs lakh) Pattern of
Assistance
1 Sheep and Goat Breeding units (500+25) 25.00 Lakhs 25 % of the outlay as subsidy subject to a ceiling of Rs 6.25 lakh

6. Funding pattern
• Entrepreneur contribution ( margin) - minimum10% in the case of rearing units Rs.2.50 Lakhs
• Subsidy 25 % of the total financial outlay subject to a ceiling 6.25 Lakhs
• Bank Loan - Balance amount of Rs.18.25 Lakhs (Initial sanction Rs.22.50 Lakhs)
In case the outlay is more than that indicated above, either the entrepreneur can bring that amount as additional margin or the bank can sanction it as a loan.
7.Linkage with Credit
Assistance under the scheme would be purely credit linked and subject to sanction of the project by eligible financial institutions
8. Eligible Financial institutions
a. Commercial Banks

If project is to be starged inform your Banker and seek for project report: G.Ananda Rao, B.Sc(Ag) , Vijaya Agro consultants, please contact..

Last edited by a moderator:

asadrazvi2000

Goat and Sheep Farming

Dear Mohammad Bhai,
kindly email me on under signed email address. i will provide you some useful information about Goat and Sheep farming

siddharthfarms

intensive rearing of sheep, Is it Viable?

Dear Members,

Somehow after a few years into sheep rearing and after a lot of mathematics,we feel that intensive rearing of sheep is not a viable option, for at least looking at the initial costs involved and i will tell you this scheme proposed by Nabard of Rs,25,00,000 for 500+25 will suffice for about a little more than 50% of expense you might incurr in doing the same.

Silage is also an expensive option,I suggest silage is best reserved for drier months than through out the year.A silage pit costs you a bomb and a fodder chopper is nothing less than a lakh with the electricals.

Intensive system needs protein supplementation(GNC + grain / Lurcene) which otherwise in the grazing system ,a sheep gets it from different weeds.

And there is an old saying that " irrigated lands are not for rearing sheep". and they can be put to better use. So,I think that we should concentrate more on sheep/goat for extensive and semi intensive system . its like a advocating a broiler system of rearing with out the broiler chicken.. Either get a broiler chicken and get into the intensive way or some one was suggesting keko goats,they get their weights just on grazing and nothing else.

But today with the scarcity of grazing lands, I would suggest people with good access to grazing lands to get into this type of farming and follow the semi intensive system( grazing plus supplementation)for better results and stable finances.

Siddharth farms is into sheep rearing for sometime now and these are my personal views out of my experiences in managing the farm,nothing to offend people who advocate intensive system,but only to say " Think before you leap". Any kind of comments and advice is welcome.

Best Regards
Ravi
Siddharthfarms@gmail.com

asadrazvi2000

Dear Ravi,
in todays compentent environment where there is lack of grazing lands, problems of robberies and little high cost of intensive farming,it is better to do semi intensive farming as we are doing, by this is animals will be excercise and we may also reduce the cost of fodder.
waht is your advice to new farmers.

siddharthfarms

Dear Mr.Hussain,

Of course i advise semi intensive system,I have actually started a new thread on this subject " intensive rearing of sheep,is it viable?"can you kindly put your comments on that and also ask your friends to share their experiences on the above subject. As i feel any real talk by people who are already into it will actually help the new comers.

Best Regards
ravi