Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Goat farming

Register

Click Here!

khalidnoor

hi,

i just want to know is goat farming for milk or meat is porfitable.

and what is the average margin after excluding all daily and fixed expenses

please sugest as i too want to start goat farming in small scale.

Thanks

antony_pratap

Goat farming for milk is not very popular in india, as much as for meat, since 95% of the goats are used for meat purpose and their milk is more consumed for personal purpose or neighbours.

Goat farming for milk for consuming milk may not be that profitable however it could be fetch a decent profit in making the milk products from the milk, however unlike US we do not have such exposure to those kind of processing units.

Goat farming and with minimal feeding management techinques are always the best, more over when one goes in for stall fed commerically the nature of management and work load is close to same in handling 50 goats and 150 goats, so having small unit in stall fed condition is not a very profiatble bet.

The most commom mistake and assumption that people make in goat business is that they purchase around 50 goats and look after them for 6 months to 1 year and then since they need to compensate for their running captial for that period of time, they sell few of the goats they bought and it goes for cheaper rate than they bought, which brings them to a conculsion that goat farming is not profitable and they end up losing hope.

People need to understand that goat farming ROI is a min of 2 years.

Min investment to see a decent margin of profit will be around 5 lacs. If you want this to be your bread winner.

Goat farming is not as easy as it sounds friends i want people here to understand that, this is not a note of discouragement but a note of caution.

All the best!

Thanks,
Antony

vbhuvan

Dear sir,

Can you furnish following details, please?

Weight at birth:
Weight at selling age:
Selling age:
Selling Price per Kg:
Cost of feed per Kg., if it is concentrates:
quantity of feed it would consume till the seling age:

Thanking you,
Regards,
vbhuvan