Fresh Water Fish Farming

Register

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear All,

I have collected some(limited) information which may be of good help to you related to FRESH WATER FISH FARMING mainly CARP VARIETIES (Rohu, Catla, Mrigal, Grass Carp, Common Carp & Silver Carp).

Anybody wants to know the details, please let me know.

Note: Please DO NOT ask for the entire project details. Please ASK only the questions which you have doubt. If I do not have the information, either I can collect or somebody can share in this forum.

Feel free to send a private mail as well.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

archidambaram

Fish farming

Dear Mr. Ganesan,

I have a pond of size 8000 SFT and about 4 feet deep. Can you write to me which type if fish(es) are suitable. I will have water in this pond for about 7-8 months only in a year.

Regards.

Dear All,

I have collected some(limited) information which may be of good help to you related to FRESH WATER FISH FARMING mainly CARP VARIETIES (Rohu, Catla, Mrigal, Grass Carp, Common Carp & Silver Carp).

Anybody wants to know the details, please let me know.

Note: Please DO NOT ask for the entire project details. Please ASK only the questions which you have doubt. If I do not have the information, either I can collect or somebody can share in this forum.

Feel free to send a private mail as well.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear archidambaram,

I think the best option would be to go for CARP varieties as they are the safe/risk free to some extent and the management also will be easy.

1 Square Metre = 1 CARP FISH
8000 SFT = 743.224 Square Metre
So you can grow 743 CARP Fishes.

I suggest you grow 40% (Catla+Silver Carp), 30% (Rohu+Grass Carp) & 30% (Mrigal+Common Carp). Please calculate and proceed on this.

You have mentioned you have only water for 7-8 months, you can grow the carp varieties as they can be harvested from 6th month onwards. For this, you need fingerlings of size 8-10 cms and above and not below.

Once you get experience in this, you can go for Murrel, Catfish, Barramuda varieties as they give more profits.

Best of Luck !!!

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

rafik

How to make a floating fish feed

Dear Sir,

Kindly provide the complete information about floating fish feed what are the things to include into?

Rafik

Last edited by a moderator:

nawabsaheb

growing of murrel

Dear Sir
I would be very happy if you can through some light on growing and feeding of murrel

I have ponds with surface area upto 5 acres and dept to 1 1/2 meters ie 5 feet aprox
ahmed

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear rafik,

Without knowing what type of Fish you are having, I am unable to comment. One more thing, I am interested in more organically growing fishes rather than feeding them from the market.

Please give more details for me to comment on.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

Dear Sir,

Kindly provide the complete information about floating fish feed what are the things to include into?

rafikshahib.vm@gmail.com

Rafik

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear nawabsaheb,

1 Acre = 6000 to 7500 Murrels
Size of Fingerling to be introduced should be 10 cms and above

Remember, Murrels are predatory fishes and hence you cannot grow other fishes along with it unless they are atleast .25 kgs in weight.

Initially, Murrels can subsist on planktoons which is green thing floating on the water surface. But later on they need other things to eat on. Otherwise, they will do cannabilism. Hence, before introducing the Murrles, you can grow Tilapia / Jalebi Fish (atleast 4 months before introducing the Murrels) and Tilapias birth rapidly. This will ensure you have enough food for your Murrels.

Also, you can feed the following.

1. Small fish
2. dried goat or cow dung
3. chicken by product
4. dried or live tubifex worms
5. cladoceran (neer puchi)
6. rice bran
7. groundnut oil cake

Best of Luck!!!

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

Dear Sir
I would be very happy if you can through some light on growing and feeding of murrel
my contact no +91 9030070086 and my email id : ahmednalladin@yahoo.com
I have ponds with surface area upto 5 acres and dept to 1 1/2 meters ie 5 feet aprox
ahmed

nawabsaheb

Fish farming

Dear Sir
Thank you very much for the infomation
Also i would like to know where i can get gilebi fish and Tilapia seed lings or grown up fish
Ahmed

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear nawabsaheb,

I have the contact of some of the companies which provide fingerlings. You can contact them.

Posting of contacts are not allowed in this site and hence I have posted the same in FarmNest Site. You can search on that site and get the details.

Best of Luck!!!

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

Dear Sir
Thank you very much for the infomation
Also i would like to know where i can get gilebi fish and Tilapia seed lings or grown up fish
Ahmed

rafik

Dear rafik,

Without knowing what type of Fish you are having, I am unable to comment. One more thing, I am interested in more organically growing fishes rather than feeding them from the market.

Please give more details for me to comment on.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
Dear Sir,

Actually I want to floating feed for composite fish culture… can I have your email ID please…

Thanks & Regards,

Rafik

editorialteam

Problems and difficulties faced by Indian fish farmers in India.

The main issue is lack of knowledge, I think. Many people have land or resource but they don't know to use that info. There are lots of areas where water resources are available but people are not aware of how to use these resources such as ponds and tanks. They are not keen on taking any initiative to fish farming because they are not aware of the income they can get out of the same. That is the reason I think why they don't come forward to take up fish farming. Many ask about the income from it first. The initial investment is more if they go for fish farming in their own land. They are not interested in this, may be because of this. Marketing is yet another problem. When these farmers go to markets, the agents take 10 percent commission from these fish farmers and so they get fewer amounts. If they market directly it will fetch them good profit. Most of the markets are like this only and the government won't involve because the local markets will not allow them to interfere.

Shares -
Padmanabhan Ganesan
Chennai

editorialteam

Dear Mr. Padmanabhan Ganesan,

According to you what can the Indian Fish Farmers do to make more profit of fish cultivation?

Regards,
Shweta

editorialteam

According to you what can the Indian Fish Farmers do to make more profit of fish cultivation?

Regards,
Shweta
I would suggest that they go for integrated fish farming, which means they should not depend on fish farming alone. Rather they should combine piggery with fishing or poultry and fishing, etc so that their profit grows up.

As told by -
Padmanabhan Ganesan
Chennai

editorialteam

It is said, 'In India fish culture is practiced in less than 30 percent of the total areas available". What could be the reasons for this?

Regards,
Shweta

editorialteam

It is said, 'In India fish culture is practiced in less than 30 percent of the total areas available". What could be the reasons for this?

Regards,
Shweta
I have found that generally Krishi Vigyan Kendra is doing a good job of imparting knowledge but people are not aware of the same. The issue is you should know where the gold is to get it. People don't have the information about Krishi Vigyan Kendra imparting free training. A person new to agriculture may not know where or whom to approach. Information has to be made easily available. Initially, I also had the same problem and only by searching through several channels, I came to know about Krishi Vigyan Kendra. People do not have any knowledge of the training being offered by them. It should reach the people. I feel that unless they do that, people will not opt to go for fishing.

Explains-
Padmanabhan Ganesan