Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Effective fencing system against Boar & Elephants

Register

Click Here!

kichus

Hi team,

We have a farmland of about 6 acres in Kerala. The land situates in an area where the activities of boar, gaur and elephants are high. This is a plain land and we are planning to develop it with next 3years.

What would be an effective fencing system to protect the land from these animals? We are planning for Solar Electric fencing but worried a bit o the cost and effectiveness of it. Will it provide 100% protection for the crops? Is there any other method adoptable than Solar Fencing? Is there any scheme which provides subsidy or financial aid for the installation? What would be an ideal cost for Solar Fecing per meter or per acre?

I know there are many questions but I would appreciate if you provide some help. Please do let me know your suggestions.

Navaneeth

kichus

It's about 18Hrs or so without any answer... Probably I'd some over expectations on this forums... :) Or there is something wrong in my questions.. sigh

Or should I change the Title to: Want to earn 10,000 per month? please reply here

Ashwini

Hi

You could go in for electric or solar fencing. But yes, it is a little expensive. But the best way to keep animals off. YOu can write a project report n contact teh NAbard or any nationalised bank for loans or subsidy if available

Regards
Ashwini

kichus

Thats some great info Ashwini. Thank you so much.

We are working out on the cost side, it's about 300m. We have contacted some reliable firms inviting the quotes. Also I've found a project plan pdf for the NABARD and it seems we need to get in touch with the local authorities to know more.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

What would be an ideal cost per meter, if anyone knows. Also please do share any links which contains information, that would be great.

navaneeth

nachimuthu

Fencg alternative

sir,
you can try lot of alternative methods like in natural farming techniques people say even the elephant menace can be controlled with the help of a special type of fencg shrubs (suramul in tamil) planting all over your border and it is a live fencg.
Unlike a manmade it always lives and develops on its own and survives and it is sustainable in nature and no problem like depreciation in the case of artificial which are manmade.
Not only this, so many varieties are available which you get from natural sustainable farming communities in our country.

Thankingyou,
yours truly,
nachimuthu

vmap

Live Fence

Dear sir,

protection from Elephant attack to your crop field is some what difficult.However you can implement the following technique to protect your crop field from all wild animals as well as you can get some profits also from this technique.

1.You plant Acacia catechu species/these are woody trees with spines and resist/protect your field from entering of wild animals. So you plant these ,in the outer most layer of your boundary line.

2. Near by above said saplings you sow the seeds of Ceasalpinia bondac in- side without giving gap/these are woody bushes with spines and maximumly give protection from wild animals.

These two-line plants ,very nearby each other ,give maximum boundary strength/Live fence to your field.

you can get profits from seeds of C.bondac, bark and wood of Acacia catechu
after some time and period.

mail: vmapresearch&gmail.com

regards
vmapR&D

Last edited:

protection from elephants

dear sir [VMAP]
CAN YOU PM THE PLANT DETAILS FOR PROTECTION FROM ELEPHANTS. Iam from ORISSA and we also have elephant menace. PL PM ME THE RELATED DETAILS AND INVESTMENT ETC.
Thanks and regards
n.d.goswami

Dear sir,

protection from Elephant attack to your crop field is some what difficult.However you can implement the following technique to protect your crop field from all wild animals as well as you can get some profits also from this technique.

1.You plant Acacia catechu species/these are woody trees with spines and resist/protect your field from entering of wild animals. So you plant these ,in the outer most layer of your boundary line.

2. Near by above said saplings you sow the seeds of Ceasalpinia bondac in- side without giving gap/these are woody bushes with spines and maximumly give protection from wild animals.

These two-line plants ,very nearby each other ,give maximum boundary strength/Live fence to your field.

you can get profits from seeds of C.bondac, bark and wood of Acacia catechu
after some time and period.

mail: vmapresearch&gmail.com

regards
vmapR&D

dairyman

Hi

One of the good old techniques is to get hold od Lion's/Tiger Urine (try out in nearby ZOO)and spray it in a few spots from where boars enter. Generally animals have very sensitive nose and picks up the smell of wild cats and will stay out of fear for getting killed. I am not sure whether it will work for elephants. Its cost effective try this for a few days and if its not working go for costly solutions which other members suggested.
all the best
dairyman