Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Bt brinjal

Register

Click Here!

kuldeep

Farmers would NEVER REJECT GM CROPS/BT BRINJAL/ NEW TECHNOLOGY WHICH HELPS THEM TO REDUCE THEIR COST OF CULTIVATION.
It is always other groups who has their vested interests.

rohitsri

Well, totally wrong. There are many reasons for these:
1) There is no world market whatsoever for Organic + GM stuff. For example, Organic cotton implies non GM cotton, absolutely 100%
2) GM Crops "does not' reduce the cost of cultivation. The GM seeds are always the property of the company, and you Need to purchase the seeds each time you want to grow GM crops. This is also absolutely 100%, or you will be sued by these organizations
3) GM crops are absolutely opposite to Organic farming values. GM crops are not pests/weed resistant on a wide scale. For example, GM cotton still gets attacked by pests on a continuous basis, and you need to shower pesticides/herbicides etc to keep it growing. GM crops need many times more resources than Organic counterparts ex. water.
4) GM crops are completely untested concept (contrary that what is claimed by companies by Monsanto). There has been no wide scale testing whatsoever on humans of GM crops. GM crops are potentially carcinogenic and toxic to children and adults alike.
5) GM crops leads to severe other issues for Organic farmers. For example, cross pollination. For example, if I have a GM field, and you have an Organic field next to mine. My pollens will cross pollinate with your crops, and thus your crop will also have gene signature of external gene. Your crops will be ALSO be owned by the GM companies, even though you never intended to grow them.

There are many more reasons, which I can keep on writing. Any scientist who is not already bought, will claim that GM is worthless in India context. It will eradicate small farmers from India, and will make our agriculture a property of multinationals. It is absolutely true, because GM seeds, no matter how they are produced are THEIR property, with no exceptions.