Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Arvind Dhakad - fruits and vegetables saplings using international nursery management

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Develops fruits and vegetables saplings using international nursery management techniques. Also experimenting with hydroponics and vertical farming systems

Plants are developed in coco-peat using the capillary enhancement technique. “I am using all international techniques applicable in nursery management for developing the plants. We use small trays for the vegetable saplings while grow bags for fruit saplings. All these plants are suitable for open field cultivation,” says Mr. Arvind Dhakad, Founder Dhakad Hi-Tech Nursery. The survival of the plants is more than 80%.
Dhakad Hi-Tech Nursery  Arvind Dhakad 1a.jpg
“In our Ratlam district farmers were struggling to develop the fruits and vegetables saplings on their own. Therefore to provide them access to good quality saplings we started the nursery,” shares Mr. Dhakad. Thai apple, ber, guava, grapes, strawberry, tomato, chili and lemon are few of the most popular saplings of the nursery. It is located at Riyawan village, Ratlam district, Madhya Pradesh.

Other than running the nursery Mr. Dhakad also has his Agri Clinic and fruits orchard. “Our fruit orchard is actually dedicated for agri experiments. We have grape vines and Thai fruits trees. Farmers when visit our farm always asked for saplings hence it was another reason we started the nursery,” he adds.

Saplings are always in stock as the buying pattern of farmers is well understood by Mr. Dhakad. “We receive many walk-in farmers who are interested to buy and carry the plants with them immediately. The percentage of farmers giving order in advance is moderate so we develop the plants in excess. Rest we maintain a constant touch with farmers through WhatsApp,” he shares.
Dhakad Hi- Tech Hydroponic set up developed by Mr Arvind Dhakad 2 a.jpg
Price depends on quantity required, mother plant cost and demand. Sharing the example Mr. Dhakad clarifies, “Mother plant of strawberry is sourced from California, USA. This year it was quite taxing to procure the mother plant hence the cost increased to Rs. 13-14/sapling from last year pricing of Rs. 6-7/piece. So the price always varies.”

Mr. Dhakad is growing different fruits at his farm and this year he started fig cultivation using Thailand technique. It implies growing small size fig plants in green house cultivation or open field. The plant size is controlled at 3-4 feet and pruning is done meticulously. Distance between plant-plant is also maintained very less. “Fig is a super plant that grows well even in a grow bag and yields reasonable amount of figs!” he claims. Mother plant of fig has been bought from Pune, Maharashtra. “This fig variety is being grown in India for couple of years and it is responding really well to the Indian soil.”

In time to come Mr. Dhakad wants to focus on strawberry cultivation in soilless medium, “I visited Israel last year. There I saw strawberries grown hydroponically. It drew my attention and I am replicating the same in our region in my own set-up.” When asked about the high investment cost he responds, “Hydroponic infrastructure suppliers have created a notion of premium-investment to sell their products and services in India. Conversely hydroponic technique as such is simple to understand thereby if executed with Indian intelligence it can be done at much lower cost! I am developing the entire hydroponic infrastructure on my own. I am confident my set up will work perfectly!”

“In addition when in Israel I was very much attracted towards vertical farming. It is an extremely cost effective technique as the water and fertilizer use is precise. The precision farming in vertical set up is amazing. I am working to create a perfect functional blend between hydroponic and vertical farming,” he adds.

He concludes saying, “I want to try out many new things in farming so that it can fetch good returns for all the farmers. Moreover I am personally very much involved in all my agri activities because unless I get the expertise I cannot direct and lead my team. Being with plants is my passion but I want to make it very interesting using latest technologies.”

Contact details:
Dhakad Hi-Tech Nursery
Farm address: Riyawan Village, Ratlam District, Madhya Pradesh
Correspondence: Malwa Krishi Seva Kendra, New Dhan Mandi Road, Jaora, Ratlam District, Madhya Pradesh
Mobile: 09826350889
Email: tropicalriyawan@gmail.com
Web: https://www.facebook.com/Dhakad-Hi-Tech-Nursery

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)