Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Arokiyaa Foods - Producers and suppliers of mushroom and value added products

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Producers and suppliers of mushroom and value added products

“Mushroom cultivation always drew my attention when I was in my teens. Post marriage I attended training classes at eleven different places, including the agricultural college in Coimbatore before starting the business,” says Mrs. Sarala Bastian, founder, Arokiyaa Foods.
Company was established in April 2005 at Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Sarala Bastian 2.jpg
Mrs. Sarala Bastian

Button, oyster and milky are the three varieties of mushroom grown at the farm. “I primarily choose oyster mushroom because it is super pack of proteins and contains less cholesterol. Yield is also good when compared with button and milky mushrooms. Market demand is more hence more profits. Past 2-3 years awareness about goodness of oyster mushroom is increasing so the demand is improving,” asserts Mrs. Sarala.

Initially the first batch of spawn was bought from one of the mushroom grower but as Mrs. Sarala found it to be poor in quality she began making spawns all by herself. “Spawns are the foundation of mushroom quality so it needs to be superior. In the beginning it was tough but with everyday experience I was able to make good quality of spawns. Now I sell the spawns to other growers. I prepare 350 gram pack of spawns. In order to give best quality I ask for 10 days pre-order,” she shares.

The mushroom beds are made up of paddy straw. “I buy the best quality of paddy straw. It is bought at Rs. 30/kg. I buy 1000 kg that suffices for 1.5months,” informs Mrs. Sarala.

To prepare mushroom bed, “Paddy straw is sterilized in boiling water for 5-10mins twice. After boiling/sterilizing it is then dried in sun or under the fan for 4-5hours. Post drying it is placed in 12x24 inch polythene bag in one layer. The spawns are spread on the layer. Once again another layer of dried paddy straw is placed and spawns are placed. The process is repeated till the polythene bag is full. It is sealed with a rubber band,” she explains. Within 17-22 days mushroom starts growing in the polythene bag. After 2.5months 1.5-2 kg mushrooms is harvested from each bag. “I have 500bags placed in 10x15 sq ft room.”

Mushroom taste was new for the Chennai residents in the starting years of business. To create the demand Mrs. Sarala used to interact with shopkeepers and distributors asking them to promote mushrooms as an affordable alternative to meat. And it worked!

Mushrooms are sold to departmental stores and 5 star hotels in Chennai. “I take bulk orders. On an average mushrooms are sold at Rs. 250/kg and minimum quantity for outstation order is 100 kg,” she says. Post harvest mushrooms are stored in deep freezer. Shelf life of milky and button mushroom is 1 week while oyster mushroom has fresh life of 3-5days. Beyond this time period mushrooms need to be sun-dried to make value added products.

When asked about the low shelf life of mushrooms Mrs. Sarala responds, “When the mushroom were unsold I started making value added products such as soup power, pickles. Now all the products have been received very well in the market so we grow many mushroom batches for making value added products.” She took professional help for branding and the marketing of the products. These are sold under the brand name ‘Arokiyaa Foods’. These are certified under FSSAI. Pickle is sold at Rs. 150 per 200 gram and soup powder at Rs. 500 per kg.

Mushroom farming is a promising business that needs hard work. It is even apt for the less educated people. “It is easy to learn the process.

I train other farmers on mushroom cultivation and spawn preparation. The charges are Rs. 1000/day and Rs.10, 000 for 3 months respectively,” she informs.

In time to come Mrs. Sarala wants to train more and more farmers and motivate them to be entrepreneurs especially women. “At Arokiyaa Foods plans are to launch mushroom masala soon. In addition I want to sell my value added products in the International market,” she reveals.

“I started the business with Rs. 15 thousand but now it needs Rs. 50 thousand as capital investment. However the return of investment remains the same as less than 6 months. Mushroom demand is increasing and so are the profits if done with 100% commitment and sincerity. To be successful one need to dream big, have self confidence, courage to face both success and failure. Surely the business will flourish one day!” concludes Mrs. Sarala Bastian.

Contact Details:
Arokiyaa Foods
No. 227/2, ICF North Colony, Near ICF Signal or Hospital, Chennai - 38
Phone: +91 72000 12728
Email: padmapriyabastian@gmail.com

janaki26

Mam, I am janaki from vaniyambadi vellore dist. I saw your interview on you tube, I like to join u r group, what can I do.