Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Do you think Dairy Farming Profitable?..check out

Register

Click Here!

mvsriocl

Dear aspirants of Dairy Farm

After deatiled study on theroy & practicals in the filed of Dairy Farm, I could say that many times commercial dairy farming is not profitable bcoz (1)cost of cattle yielding 10L (including transportation) is more than 55000.(2)for every 10 animals u need one manpower costing morethan 5000/month (3) Feeding cost per month during yielding period is more than 2200 per month per cattle & it is around 1400-1500 during dry period.(4)you must have your own market, where you should sell 1L milk for >Rs30. (5) Average milk of all yielding cattles should not be less than 9L per day, which is very difficult to achieve.

You can calculate profit by considering all the above facts along with Initial investment & its EMI per month, water & Electricity & mis.expenses & medical expenses & unpredictable expenses.

Dont be too optimistic...dont forget you are investing lakhs of rupees

If you can seel 1L milk for more than Rs.32, you can start .....otherwise need to think a lot.

Any doubts?............

Regards
MV SubbaReddy

cnsant

Profitability in Dairy farming......

Dairy Farming is a business in which most attention has to be given on Feeding & Management. This particular aspect has been overlooked & neglected by most of the people entering into Dairy Business.

Unfortunately most of the people as well as consultants (of course, more than 99.99% are from Dairy Processing side & others : Theoretical experts from reading on google.com) place too much importance on climate, housing & shed construction.

It should be noted by entrepreneurs that hardly one in million Dairy farmers use computers & as such no realistic information on ( Indian) Dairy farming is available on NET nor the subject can be discussed on mails.

Lets understand the simple basics:

* No business breaks even in 1st year. It usually takes 4-5 years. However in dairy farming we can start earning from Day one since we always buy cows in milking.

* The approximate investment for 100 cow farm is around 1 Lac per animal (amounting to 1 CRORE) which can roughly be divided into cost of animal, cost of construction & cost of Machinery. It has to be kept in mind that this cost is Only ONCE & gets depreciated over a period to ZERO.

* The major cost then is daily recurring cost of (balanced) Feed & labour that too labour cost is fixed for ONE year at least. However the cost of feeding changes daily depending upon the ingredients used.

* Today this (Feeding & labour) cost will not exceed Rs. 20,000/- per day in any part of India. At the same time this 100 cow farm will yield minimum 1000 litres per day which can easily be sold @ Rs. 25,000/- giving us a clear profit of Rs. 5000/- per day not to mention the cow dung which will be minimum 1500 kgs & is being sold @ Re. 1/- per Kg. (The milk can be sold easily for Rs. 25/- as it is with high fat & not TONED down )

This clearly shows a 100 cow farm will fetch Rs. 6,500/- per day which is more than 23 lacs per year.

With good manufacturing practices & a Standard Operating Procedure we can easily reduce the daily costs of Feeding by Rs. 2 - 4000/- which can give us additional profit of minimum 7 Lacs per year.

Please feel free to call me ANYTIME to discuss this in detail.

Explaining is much easier than writing. No mails please.

Dr.Chandrakiran Sant
(Dairy Advisor)
Cattle Nutrition & Management

mvsriocl

Sant Saab

bahut achha bola aapne..

Iam so impressed with your realistic figures analysed using practical experience.
yes, feeding procedures, monitoring of day to day business & value additions like vermi compost.. yields profits to commericail dairyfarms.

all of you requested to share practical experience to encourge newcomers.

mv subbareddy

kirankumar123

Mr.Sant,

I do agree with you what actually you have said. Recently, I have visited to one of the dairys near London and it is really amazing. It is 80% managed by the machineries and other latest equipments and I must say that it is well organised. Apparently, an average yield of milk is between 26-28 litres /day /cow. The most of the cows are Jersey and Holstein Friesian breed.

I was bit surprised that, why do we get an average 10 litres/day/cow in India? Although we have got the same bread like Jersey and Holstein Friesian in India! Is it because of our climatic conditions, is there any way that we can increase the yield of milk to at least 15 litres /day /cow ? Possibly by having a good fodder management?

From the following web page: indg.in/agriculture/animalhusbandary/breeds-of-cattle-and-their-selection#anc8

It indicates that the on an average for above breed cows gives 25 litres of milk per day, is that true?

I believe that if we work hard to get more yield by keeping cows healthy and improving the fodder management of each cow. I am right?

I am planning to establish a dairy in near future. I do welcome any comments and advice form you all experts.

Regards,

Kiran

Last edited:

cnsant

Profitable dairy farming...

Dear Mr. subbareddy & Kiran,

Thank you for your kind words.

Please note that in a 100 animal farm all the animals are not milking & the cycle is maintained in such a way that around 60% of the animals are always milking.

As a result you will have a a continuous & constant supply of milk for sale.

The animals in this case are giving around 15-20 litres of milk on an average & as such the calculation shows 1000 litres /day.

For a newcomer it is always wiser to start with a low yielding animal as he is not experienced however he can gradually increase the average milk yield.
( Or it will be like a fellow who does not even know how to drive a car PROPERLY wants to enter the RACE with a Ferrari & inends to Win too).

Once again I will request you all to please do call me ANYTIME ( 24 X 7 ) so that I can explain dairy farming in precise details very easily & sytematically. You may find my number on linkedin or any of the Replies in Blogs.

Dairy farming is not at a subject to be discussed on Mails.

Dr.Chandrakiran N.Sant
Dairy Advisor
(Cattle Nutrition & Management)

kirankumar123

Thanks!

Mr. Sant,

Thanks again for your advice. I like that example of a Learner driver going to F1 Race!

I would like to say that, if there was no profit in this business why would people still having large dairies and how come we Indians are the number one milk producers in the world! However, don’t forget that many of us still drink white tea and coffee every day..

I am fully convinced that profit can be made by experience and hard work.

Regards,

Kiran

mvsriocl

Dear zacharia saab,

This forum is meant for sharing useful rational information.

It is glad to hear that you are starting dairyfarm with 1000 cows, but how can you expect Project Report just like that to submit to partner. even if somebody send to you will you rely completly on that report. people going for such a very voluminous project never expect report from websites, they directly hire one consultant, sorry it should be consultancy.

Thanks & Regards
MV SubbaReddy

biofarms

Profitable dairy Farms

sir,
I would like to add few about fodder
if you are really interested dairy farming ,plse try to grow green fodder eg. Napier grass,Subabul high density planting,maize, dual purpose sorghum etc,

Go for enriched biocomposting of cow dung (biofertilizers`+ Selected nutrients) can make cowdung to good quality organic fertilizer- cost will be around Rs.4-5/kg.

Cow urine can be distilled and fermented with medicinal plants can make good quality growth promotor

For distillation and fuel can be generated with the help of bio gas.

If any agri wastes like press mud is there go for large scale vermicompost units etc
I tried these system in middle east for company farm and in Idukki,kerala with small farmers. From that cow dung is costlier than milk.
Thank you
Good luck
D.S.Sureshkumar,MSc(Ag.Biotech),PGDBM,PhD Scholar (Biotech)
Biofarms R & D Center,Idukki,Kerala
09947892496, d.s.sureshkumar68@gmail.com

ag_aman2004

Profitability in Dairy farming......

Dear all,

If your investment on 100 cow and well maintained, you will get minimum
Rs.8000 to 8600 profit per day (after all feed & operational expenses)

Regards
Amanullah AG.

ravipar

hai!!

hello ,

is outter polish of the rice/rice polish suitable for milking cows,i was told that if used, fat content increases in such cows is it true???
people who replied above sound well established in this sector so kindly reply,and also the quantity to be used or feed per cow.

thank you,
ravi pawar

ag_aman2004

Hi Robin,

I have a template for dairy opearation. Shows as follows:-

Total cow :100
Dry cow :25
Monthly yield : 31500 Ltr
14Ltr/Avr. milk per cow
Rs.25/Ltr
Sale (milk + dung): 797,500.00

Milchy feed expenses : 334,125.00 (41.90%)
Dry feed expenses : 52,875.00 (6.63 %)
Opeartional expenses : 151,912.50(19.05%)
Monthly Income : 258,587.50 (32.42)

Regards
Amanullah

wasim_77

Figures

Hi Aman,

Greetings,

Just wanted to know that where can I get the Holstein and Friesian Cows in north India. I am from Srinagar, Jammu And Kashmir And wanted to know that if the climatic conditions of Srinagar suits these cows at all. If no , which breed of the cows should I go for . And also if you could help me with some statistics based for Srinagar.

regards,
Waseem

bali4u

Hi,
I am from haridwar uttarakhand. I want to start dairy farm but my budget under 20lac. So kindly tell me how many cows I will be able to buy and can we earn 50k/month from that. My project based on loan. I have one and half acre land.
thanks
Mohan Goswami

rkamalamaniyam

Dear Friend,
Thank you very much for your kind advice.
I am planning to start Dairy Farm N' no of friends well wishers all of them say change your plan. But still i can not change my direction just today i seen your thoughts very good. without risk no success.

If you are wish may i ask some questions?

Thanks once again
Regards,
kamalamaniyam
Dairy Farming is a business in which most attention has to be given on Feeding & Management. This particular aspect has been overlooked & neglected by most of the people entering into Dairy Business.

Unfortunately most of the people as well as consultants (of course, more than 99.99% are from Dairy Processing side & others : Theoretical experts from reading on google.com) place too much importance on climate, housing & shed construction.

It should be noted by entrepreneurs that hardly one in million Dairy farmers use computers & as such no realistic information on ( Indian) Dairy farming is available on NET nor the subject can be discussed on mails.

* No business breaks even in 1st year. It usually takes 4-5 years. However in dairy farming we can start earning from Day one since we always buy cows in milking.

* The approximate investment for 100 cow farm is around 1 Lac per animal (amounting to 1 CRORE) which can roughly be divided into cost of animal, cost of construction & cost of Machinery. It has to be kept in mind that this cost is Only ONCE & gets depreciated over a period to ZERO.

* The major cost then is daily recurring cost of (balanced) Feed & labour that too labour cost is fixed for ONE year at least. However the cost of feeding changes daily depending upon the ingredients used.

* Today this (Feeding & labour) cost will not exceed Rs. 20,000/- per day in any part of India. At the same time this 100 cow farm will yield minimum 1000 litres per day which can easily be sold @ Rs. 25,000/- giving us a clear profit of Rs. 5000/- per day not to mention the cow dung which will be minimum 1500 kgs & is being sold @ Re. 1/- per Kg. (The milk can be sold easily for Rs. 25/- as it is with high fat & not TONED down )

This clearly shows a 100 cow farm will fetch Rs. 6,500/- per day which is more than 23 lacs per year.

With good manufacturing practices & a Standard Operating Procedure we can easily reduce the daily costs of Feeding by Rs. 2 - 4000/- which can give us additional profit of minimum 7 Lacs per year.

Dr.Chandrakiran Sant
(Dairy Advisor)

parthureddyg

I met couple of consultants and all are negative about starting the diary farm.

Please let me know if this business is profitable or not based on below details.

- I have 15 acre of land which i can grow green gross
- I don't have labor problem. I can get daily labors and monthly salary labors.
- In my village they are giving 35 rs per L.(Please note here we are mixing 2 lts of water for every 10 Lts of pure milk).
- Average yield is 8 L per buffalo.
- Shed/Water/Electricity are manageable with less cost in my village.

Based on above things, is it good idea to start? If yes, with how many buffalos can i start? What is the expected profit per month?

Regards,
Vijay

hemahk

Hi Chandrakiran

Pls share your contact details , i am looking for some more information on the same.

regards
Hema

satish kacharla

regarding the dairy farming

Dr.Chandrakiran Sant
(Dairy Advisor)

Can you provide me your contact number so that I can contact you directly? also Can you give me the template for 10 cows ?

i want to start dairy farming. ineed basic knowledge. were i get loan and cattle.

Hi.is this business profitsble if u own a land.what are the basic knowledge to know.

Dr.Chandrakiran Sant
(Dairy Advisor)
I