Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Pomegranate farming

Register

Click Here!

sanshree

Hi

I have a dry land of about 17 acres and i read in the net that pomegranate can be cultivated in the dry land also,i am interested in pomegranate cultivation and any help in this regard is really helpfull.

if anyone having a prior experience of pomegranate culivation please give your contact info so i can talk to guys,i am open for consultant suggestion also

Ashwini

Hi

Agro-climatic requirements

Pomegranate grows well under semi-arid conditions and can be grown upto an altitude of 500 m. above m.s.l.. It thrives well under hot, dry summer and cold winter provided irrigation facilities are available. The tree requires hot and dry climate during fruit development and ripening. Pomegranate tree is deciduous in areas of low winter temperature and an evergreen or partially deciduous in tropical and sub-tropical conditions. It can tolerate frost to a considerable extent in dormant stage, but is injured at temperature below - 110 C.

Well drained, sandy loan to deep loamy or alluvial soils is suitable for cultivation.

Varieties

Important pomegranate varieties cultivated in India are Alandi or Vadki, Dholka, Kandhari, Kabul, Muskati Red, Paper Shelled, Spanish Ruby, Ganesh (GB I), G 137, P 23, P 26, Mridula, Aarakta, Jyoti, Ruby, IIHR Selection, Yercaud 1 and Co 1.

Pomegranate is propagated vegetatively by cuttings, air layering or gootee.

Air layering is usually done during the rainy season and also in November-December. Planting is usually done in spring (February-March) and July-August in sub-tropical and tropical regions respectively.

High density planting is adopted in temperate regions. A spacing of 5-6 m. in northern India and also in the plains of Deccan plateau is usually followed. High density planting with a spacing gives 2-2.5 times more yield than that obtained when the normal planting distance of 5 X 5 m. is adopted. Farmers have adopted a spacing of 2.5 X 4.5 m. Closer spacing increases disease and pest incidence.

The recommended fertilizer dose is 600-700 g. N, 200-250 g. P2O5 and 200-250 g. K2O /tree/year. Application of 10 kg. farmyard manure and 75 g. ammonium sulphate to 5 year old tree annually is adequate , whereas application of 50 kg. farmyard manure and 3.5 kg. oil cake or 1 kg. sulphate of ammonia prior to flowering is ideal for healthy growth and fruiting. The time of application is December/January for ambe bahar, May/June for Mrig bahar and October/November for hasthe bahar.

The basal dose of farmyard manure @ 25-40 cart-loads /ha. besides the recommended doses of N, P and K should be applied to non-bearing trees in 3 split doses coinciding with growth of flushes during January, June and September. Fruiting should be encouraged from fourth year onwards. Nitrogenous fertilizer is applied in two split doses starting at the time of first irrigation after bahar treatment and next at 3 weeks interval, whereas full dose of P and K should be applied at one time. These should be applied in a shallow circular trench below tree canopy not beyond a depth of 8-10 cm. After application, fertilizers are covered with top soil and irrigated.

Regards
Ashwini

sanshree

Pomegranate cultivation

Hi Ashwini

Thanks for detailed Info,,,,I am really grateful to you for giving basic information to start cultivating,

If i need any info in the future can i contact you,,,do you work as a consultant.

can you give me your email ID so that i can post the future questions to you

Thanks
santhosh

vikram01

is sholaput good for growing Pomegranate? i have 4 acres of land which i am thinking to grow Pomegranate and mango.... i need some assistance. it will be great if you guys can share your knowledge for me to get started in right direction...

regards,
vikram

aaditya_77

Hello Sir,
I have a land of 3 acres which contains red soil in M.P. I want to know that can i grow Pomegranate in my land, in summer temperature rises up to 55 0 c and in winter up to 32 0 c . I also want details to grow Pomegranate . is it profitable. someone told me that i can make 10 lakhs per acre in a year in this field is it true.
thank you..

sinhru

Hi Ashwini,

Are you aware of any book on Pomegranate farming? Also, do you have any specific info on organic farming of Pomegranate?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards