Question Need guidance for passion fruits cultivation

Register

amjadfakih

Hi
My Name is Amjad Fakih I stay in Raigad District Taluka Mhasla Maharashtra.
I am interested in Passion Fruit Farming so pls someone help in this project.
pls provide me detail of this project, how much is cost of plant, how much profit is there in this farming, and where i can find the plants.and procedure of cultivation. Please contact..

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Buy the book "Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Interviews"

Ashwini

HI

Passion fruit is commercially cultivated in the North Eastern States of Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland. It is also cultivated in some parts of Nilgiris and Shevroys.

Passion fruit prefers tropical to subtropical humid climate and grows well upto 2000 m altitude with an annual rainfall of 1000 to 2500 mm. The crop requires an optimum temperature of 200 to 30 0C and temperatures below 15 0C restricts vegetative growth and flowering. It grows best in light sandy loam soils with pH of 6.0 -7.0 and good drainage. A soil having sufficient quantity of moisture, rich in organic matter and low in salts is considered very suitable for its cultivation.

Varieties

Out of several species, Purple passion fruit (Passiflora edulis Sims), Yellow Passion fruit (Passiflora edulis var. flavicarpa) and ‘Kaveri’ Hybrid passion fruit (Purple x Yellow) are of commercial importance in India.

Passion fruit is propagated by seeds, cuttings and grafting on resistant root stocks. Seedlings and grafted plants are more vigorous than cuttings.

The spacing will vary depending upon the type of training system being followed and variety. In case of Kniffin system of training the spacing adopted is 2m x 3m, which will accommodate 1666 plants/ha. In bower system, the recommended spacing is 3m x 3m which accommodates about 1110 plants/ha.

The most economical training method is the kniffin system in which 2.5 m long posts/pillars are erected 3 m apart and four lines of 9 to 11 gauge wire is allowed to run across. The trellis should run across the slope or in North-South direction, to have maximum and even exposure of vines to sunlight. In case, wooden posts are used, they have to be painted with coaltar at the base to avoid insect attack and quick rotting.

The vines start yielding fruits after 10 months of planting and bearing reaches optimum by 16-18 months. There are two main periods of fruiting from August to December and March to May. Fruits take 80-85 days to reach maturity. Slightly purple coloured fruits along with a small portion of stem / pedicel should be picked up. The fruits should be marketed quickly to prevent loss in weight and their appearance. The rind becomes wrinkled on drying but the pulp remains in good condition for several days.

The economic life of Passion Fruit vine is considered as five years.

REgards
Ashwini

ethancampbell

[FONT=&amp]You can also try using it as part of a marinade for meats with soy sauce and spices for an interesting “sweet and sour/sweet and spicy” flavour. I saw it being used that way once for chicken wings I think. Never tried it myself but it looked tasty.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]dissertation writers. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you have an ice cream maker, passion fruit sorbet is my favorite. Water, sugar and passion fruit pulp. [/FONT]