Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Kailash Matshya Hatchery - Producer and supplier of fish seed

Register

Click Here!

SupportTeam

Staff member
Producer and supplier of fish seed

Mr. Yogi Sahani is the fish farmer who has been part of extremities of livelihood. Once he was working as daily laborer in a hatchery while today he owns hatchery and plays a vital role in the life of many farmers as fish seed provider. He hails from Jagdishpur village, Darbhanga, Bihar. He established Kailash Matshya Hatchery in 2009. Fish spawns, fry and fingerlings are sold at the hatchery.

Taking the advice of Dr. Tun Tun, he started the hatchery to produce the fish seed as there was wide gap between the demand and supply. It was started in 2006 with Hapa breeding pond to raise fish spawns. It was a low cost technique to produce different fish spawns in a captive net inside the pond. “I continued it till 2008. I earned enough money to set up a hatchery unit for carp seed on three acre land taken on lease. This was set up in 2009,” he adds. Total cost incurred was Rs. 7 lakh. It was named as Kailash Matshya hatchery.

Kailash-Fish-Hatchery-300x225.jpg

Once the risk taken is turned into lucrative returns then it is followed by series of expansion. Similarly Mr. Sahani developed more units for producing the carp seed as the demand of his hatchery produced seed was seeing consistent increase amongst the farmers involved in seed cultivation. “My hatchery started producing about 12 million fries to gradually 20 million fries in three acres. In addition I outsourced a 50 acre pond from a private pond owner. Presently I have 26 pond in 53.5 acre area under my supervision,” he avers. It is a complete hatchery unit with seed production and seed rearing units.

Largely farmers from North-West part of Bihar, Madhubani, Darbhanga, Champaran, Muzaffarpur,Bettiah and Vaishali districts are the regular buyers of fish seed from Kailash Matshya Hatchery. Good quality, reasonable price and services bind them for the long term relationship with Mr. Sahani.

Entire hatchery operations are managed by Mr. Sahani and his four sons. “We could come this far because we all five were committed in all the activities of the seed production. Today many people are working with us but initially we did all the work by ourselves,” he adds.

Mr. Sahani didn’t had the money in the beginning hence started the venture by taking money from the private money lenders. “I paid huge amount of interest on the principal amount taken for constructing the hatchery unit. Neither private nor nationalized banks were ready to give me loan hence I had to take money from private lenders. It was period of immense struggle but I am glad it went by! I feel very proud that entire loan amount is paid back from the earnings made from my hatchery,” he asserts. “Bank people understood by capability much later! They sanctioned Rs. 15 lakh for developing some more carp hatchery units.” Rs. 3 lakh subsidy received from Bihar State Government helped him quite a lot.

Fish farming has improved the livelihood of Sahani family substantially. “Dr. Tun Tun had guided us at every step without any self-interest. We owe it all to him!” emphasizes Mr. Sahani and concludes, “Poverty is not a curse infact it is stage of life that can be dealt with hard work and proper guidance. No farmer should give it up because he has the strength to fight it all!”

Contact details:
Kailash Matshya Hatchery
Mobile: 09934979995