Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

EM in Gobar gas plant

Register

Click Here!

ganapathib

Hello,

i am running a dairy farm. I read about EM (Effective Microorganisms) and planning to use it in my dairy farm. What happens if EM gets into Goar gas plant ? Will the gas production increase or decrease ? is there any adverse impact to gobar gas plant if EM is mixed in the input (dung) ? Please let me know.

thanks,
Ganapathi Bhat.

kirti s

Hello sir

EM is a brown colour liquid concentrate containing a consortium of beneficial microbes and acts as soil conditioner as well as a microbial inoculant. It is produced from cultivation of over 80 strains of beneficial microorganisms, which are collected from the natural environment. Over 90 countries are using this technology successfully today.

EM stock solution (see online shop) mainly consists of lactobacillus, photosynthetic bacteria, yeast and ray fungi. The microorganisms are not imported or genetically engineered. EM includes both aerobic and anaerobic species of microorganisms which co-exist in an environment of around 3.5 pH.

First of all mix Extended EM and water in the ratio of 1: 50 by volume (e.g.10 ltrs of water and 200 ml of Extended EM). Spray this solution on the ground where compost is to be made at 2 lit/ m2. Make a heap of organic matter like plant and animal waste about 12 inches or 30 cm in height. Spray the diluted Extended EM solution on the heap to bring the moisture content to 70-80%. (No fluids should leak out at the bottom of the heap) Add another similar layer on top of the first one spray it with Extended EM solution again. One can go on making the layers up to a maximum height of about 1.5 meters. Cover the heap with rice straw, gunny sacks or banana leaves. Do not cover it with plastic sheets. After some time, if moisture level drops in the heap then sprinkle some more water on the heap and cover again. The compost should ready for use with in 30 –45 days. (depending of course the C/N ratio of your inputs)

Application: To be applied at 3-4 tons per acre (4.000 m2) to get good results.

Important points to be remembered:
1. Try to use plant and animal waste in the ratio of 2 : 1.
2. Include green leaves and weeds to increase the nitrogen content in the compost.
3. For faster decomposition, add equal quantity of molasses or jaggery syrup in water and Extended EM
4. For dense organic material like press mud or cow dung, please turn the heap at least once for aeration.
5. Always make compost on soil. Do not attempt to compost it on concrete or on any plastic sheet beneath.
6. shade the heap
7. the dosage of EM increases the nutrient level.

Composting process is completed when:
a) The temperature inside the heap, after having increased to around 70 degrees/C within 2-3 days starts to drop and becomes stable at about 5 degrees/C higher than outside temperature.
b) White mould (Actinomycetes fungi) will appear on the biomass. It would also have a sweet smell.
c) The biomass would crumble easily.
d) It is not necessary for the compost to look brown or black or like tea leaves. This shape can be obtained when the ready compost is sifted.

ganapathib

Sir, thank you for detailed info on EM. As asked earlier, i want to know the impact of EM in gobar gas production - What happens if EM gets into Goar gas plant ? Will the gas production increase or decrease ? is there any adverse impact to gobar gas plant if EM is mixed in the input (dung) ? Please let me know.

microbefiend

I think the effect would be positive. I think the EM would increase the efficiency of the system. Your gobar gas is produced through the decomposition of organic materials right? And EM, similar to BIM by Gil Carandang, is a microbial inoculant that enhances decomposition of organic materials by increasing microbial density. I've talked with Gil and use his recipes for everything, his BIM is the same as the EM and it definitely increases microbial digestion. Anyway if you can test it on part of the system just start there. But it's hard to imagine mixing it in with the inputs would not help, I think it would be a very positive effect actually...