Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

coconut and cattle

Register

Click Here!

gsathiyansainik

how to improve coconut yielding in the region of tamilnadu namakkal district * is it good to build sheds for cattle under coconut trees

kirti s

Dear Sir

i suggest u to use vermicomcompost other than any other fertilizer or manure for coconut. u can start it at ur site itself. but please dont try cattle shed under coconut tres it will lead to pest and disease incidence. u can have it at some other distance.

antony_pratap

Hi few suggestions here:

First reduce the use of chemicals, if any is used.
Do not have a cattle shed in the coconut farm if the dung is not disposed or composed properly since the small flying insects/bugs that are produced from accumulation of dung can reduce the yield drastically. Instead you can go for goat/sheep farming and use that dung into vermicompost as they are very effective too.

Do good variety of banana plantation as intercropping which does support to better yield of coconut, once the total harvesting period of the banana is over, you can dig a pit of at least 10ft to 10ft with 3ft- 4ft dept and dump the banana coir and everything else into the pit cut in smaller pieces, add approximately 10-20kg of pure Jaggery (Velam) not the one that is sold in the shop with chemicals in about 50-70 ltrs of water and pour it in layers and close the it with soil, leave the same for 45-60 days and then apply them to your trees.

You may want to ask experts for a second option too and then go ahead, I’m sure you will see a significant increase in the yield of your coconuts and also the taste of your tender coconut would differ.

Thanks,
Antony

shreesh

Coconuts and Cattle

how to improve coconut yielding in the region of tamilnadu namakkal district * is it good to build sheds for cattle under coconut trees
See this very informative book

Pasture-Cattle-Coconut Systems
please contact........

Last edited by a moderator:

pradeeprokade

Dear Sir,
Apart from the above suggestions, you may try one thing which is developed by

Maharashtra Govt's Agriculture Institute and successfully implemented in entire

western coast of Maharashtra. It is known as LAKHI BAUG means from one acre

of old coconut plantation you get Rs. one lac per year.

What you have to do is :

1) plant one Nutmeg plant in the centre of diagonal of every four coconut plants .
2) plant 2 nos of Black Pepper creepers on each coconut tree.
3) Between 2 coconuts, plant 2 nos. cinnamon / cardamom plants.
or there are diff. options which will give Rs. one lac per acre per year.
These plants of spices normally grow under shed.

For more information contact: me or

Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Krishi Vidyapith
Taluk : Dapoli , Dist. Ratnagiri , Maharashtra.

***************************************************************************************

gsathiyansainik

dear sir ,, your suggestions is informative.
but still i have little doubt that the palnts u suggested are a tropical plant ,,,
my area is very hot , we depond on bore water for irregation. during summar we can feel the hot air ... so please can u suggest me some other altration,,,,,