Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Dry weather farming

Register

Click Here!

gkmd

Hi,
I am interested in dry weather farming. Since rains fail and there is no suffiicient water for crops to grow, can anybody help with ideas of what to grow. The plants should be able to grow with very little water and hot sun. The produce should also be marketable so as to sustain myself.
Please advice.

shahwon

How to Save Water in Gardening

Plants use 10-15 % of water, the rest goes as seepage. Keeping in view of shortage of Water.

Here is what I do.

Take a pet Bottle, make a small hole in the Cap, and a larger hole in the Bottom, fill with Water,
and press the Head in soil at 45 degree angle, it will start drip action, keeping the soil moist round the clock. It will take a week or more to consume. This can be done in Flower Pots ad in Flower Beds. In flower beds keep a distance of a yard apart.

I had done this when I left for a week for upcountry. My plants were all fresh on my return

danielr

Hi,
I am interested in dry weather farming. Since rains fail and there is no suffiicient water for crops to grow, can anybody help with ideas of what to grow. The plants should be able to grow with very little water and hot sun. The produce should also be marketable so as to sustain myself.
Please advice.
Who are you? And where is your farm locketion? Please always quote that; it makes matter simpler. Any ways.

You are interested in farming and not gardening. Well; 1" rain on an acre of land is more than 100,000 liters of water! Driest place in India has almost 20 to 40 inches of rain. Stop that water from flowing out of your field.

Several ways you can do it. 1) Follow cultivation practice horizontal to the slop. 2) Dig on counter marking on your farm 12" deep tranches and make bunds of debris removed on the sloping side. 3) Make manageable long beds with high bunds all over the farm.

All this should be completed before the rains. Saw the crop you like; no problem. Good luck.

If you are in Maharashtra and read Marathi; go to Agroown in Pune and demand for my book "अशी शेती तशी शेती" under print.

Daniel Reuben - Israel

garao56

Dry Weather Farning

Dear sir,
Please notice the difference between dry farming , dryland farming and rain ged farming :
a) Dry farming: is cultivation of crops in regions with annual rainfall less than 750
mm. Crop failure is most common due to prolonged dry spells during the crop period.
These are arid regions with a growing season (period of adequate soil moisture) less
than 75 days. Moisture conservation practices are necessary for crop production.
b) Dryland farming: is cultivation of crops in regions with annual rainfall more than
750 mm. In spite of prolonged dry spells crop failure is relatively less frequent. These
are semi arid tracts with a growing period between 75 and 120 days. Moisture
conservation practices are necessary for crop production. However, adequate
drainage is required especially for vertisols or black soils.
C) Rainfed farming: is crop production in regions with annual rainfall more than
1150 mm. Crops are not subjected to soil moisture stress during the crop period.
Emphasis is often on disposal of excess water. These are humid regions with growing period more than 120 days.

If your land no water resources we can raise crops in the monsoon season . Please inform the extent of land you are owning / irrigation sources available , etc to enable me to guide you further

G.Ananda Rao , B.Sc(Ag)
Vijaya agro Consultants

ajays79

try resticting water ... use polythene sheets

Dear all

Have U considered laying plastic sheets underneath to restrict seepage in arid areas. How about if water can be restricted somehow. If any one of U is ready to bear cost of moving top soil (40 cm) and refilling. I am ready to give it a try. I m working on a solution. Shall inform in September if I can restrict water (maintain soil moisture for a long time).

best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:

lpd59

Let us know the location and land available with you .We provide total rain water solution so that you will not have any water shortage

lpd59

Let us know the location and land available with you .We provide total rain water harvesting system so that you will not have any water shortage