Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Farmers Club helps farmers to earn better

Register

Will you be interested in joining farmers club to get better returns on your produce?

• Total voters

Click Here!

editorialteam

Abhinav Farmers Club from Pune has revolutionized traditional agriculture through direct marketing and doing away with middlemen.

It's not always your day if you are a farmer. No wonder,agriculture isn't looked at as a lucrative option since rub of the green seldom goes in a farmer's favour.However,an out-of-the-box thinking can help farmers reap rich harvests and this is what has happened to this group of farmers in Maan,Hinjewadi near Pune.Abhinav Farmers'Club,dedicated to floriculture and exotic vegetables,has revolutionized traditional agriculture through direct marketing by doing away with middlemen.

Dnyaneshwar Bodke,interior decorator-turned-farmer,sowed the seed of this club after he saw a number of farmers mortgaging their farms against loans to manage their households. He started pursuing them not to sell away their land and make the most it. Focusing on floriculture and exotic vegetables,the group started understanding a thing or two about marketing their products. From a humble beginning,things gradually changed for better.

The process hasn't been a smooth sailing,says Bodke. "It was tough to convince farmers and I had to be very patient. I observed that all of them used to sell their products to agents in market and were totally clueless about prices. Things turned worse when they couldn't recover even the production cost. This made us realize the need for forming a group."

To understand market logistics,Bodke decided to market agricultural products directly instead of relying on the middlemen."Many farmers had burnt their fingers in the traditional market set-up.I decided to take the lead.A decade ago,many retail chains were coming up with departmental stores and I started meeting people in the business.They agreed to purchase vegetables and fruits directly from us and pay 30 per cent more than the production cost. However,there were limitations as their payments would come after three months. After that,we started supplying the stuff to hotels and understood the entire marketing chain. Now,eateries buy vegetables from us in bulk."

Organized farming has helped farmers in not only clearing debts but also earning handsomely,claims Bodke. He says that every farmer in the group earns around Rs 1,000 a day."There are farmers who earn Rs 8,000 to 10,000 a day. Of course,we work by the sweat of our brows. It's a tough day from 7 am to 8 pm and still we have no complaints. We are ready to work harder. All we seek is a fair deal."

Emphasizing on organic farming,the group focuses 70 per cent on floriculture and the rest on exotic vegetables."Pune,Bangalore and Delhi are our main markets for flowers.We also tried our hands at floral decorations in IT companies but we didn't get expected returns.We have handed over packing of vegetables to a female self-help group to help them in their enterprises.''

Today,Abhinav farmers'club has 256 members in Pune and 75 groups in Maharashtra, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.According to Bodke,farming is a lucrative option."It is an essential commodity and will never lose its importance. Educated youth should take to farming.Technology should be more efficiently used.From government,we expect better connectivity,transport,power supply and clean administration.Our fundamental aim is to make farmers self-sufficient,"he concludes.

Article Source - Times of India
Writer - Kanchan Gogate

What are your impressions on this article? Farmers Club like group certainly is a boon to farmers. Feel free to post your thoughts, queries and suggestions on this thread. Editorial team of agricultureinformation.com shall be monitoring the thread.

Last edited:

rajani21

Dear Mr.Dhyaneshwar Bodke,

Your farmers club is very helpful for our farmers.

Our farmers would like to know---If any farmer wants to join what are the prerequisites? What is the profile of existing members?

Please share the details.

Regards,
Rajani

dvsvrb

Abhinav Farmers Club from Pune has revolutionized traditional agriculture through direct marketing and doing away with middlemen.

It's not always your day if you are a farmer. No wonder,agriculture isn't looked at as a lucrative option since rub of the green seldom goes in a farmer's favour.However,an out-of-the-box thinking can help farmers reap rich harvests and this is what has happened to this group of farmers in Maan,Hinjewadi near Pune.Abhinav Farmers'Club,dedicated to floriculture and exotic vegetables,has revolutionized traditional agriculture through direct marketing by doing away with middlemen.

Dnyaneshwar Bodke,interior decorator-turned-farmer,sowed the seed of this club after he saw a number of farmers mortgaging their farms against loans to manage their households. He started pursuing them not to sell away their land and make the most it. Focusing on floriculture and exotic vegetables,the group started understanding a thing or two about marketing their products. From a humble beginning,things gradually changed for better.

The process hasn't been a smooth sailing,says Bodke. "It was tough to convince farmers and I had to be very patient. I observed that all of them used to sell their products to agents in market and were totally clueless about prices. Things turned worse when they couldn't recover even the production cost. This made us realize the need for forming a group."

To understand market logistics,Bodke decided to market agricultural products directly instead of relying on the middlemen."Many farmers had burnt their fingers in the traditional market set-up.I decided to take the lead.A decade ago,many retail chains were coming up with departmental stores and I started meeting people in the business.They agreed to purchase vegetables and fruits directly from us and pay 30 per cent more than the production cost. However,there were limitations as their payments would come after three months. After that,we started supplying the stuff to hotels and understood the entire marketing chain. Now,eateries buy vegetables from us in bulk."

Organized farming has helped farmers in not only clearing debts but also earning handsomely,claims Bodke. He says that every farmer in the group earns around Rs 1,000 a day."There are farmers who earn Rs 8,000 to 10,000 a day. Of course,we work by the sweat of our brows. It's a tough day from 7 am to 8 pm and still we have no complaints. We are ready to work harder. All we seek is a fair deal."

Emphasizing on organic farming,the group focuses 70 per cent on floriculture and the rest on exotic vegetables."Pune,Bangalore and Delhi are our main markets for flowers.We also tried our hands at floral decorations in IT companies but we didn't get expected returns.We have handed over packing of vegetables to a female self-help group to help them in their enterprises.''

Today,Abhinav farmers'club has 256 members in Pune and 75 groups in Maharashtra, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.According to Bodke,farming is a lucrative option."It is an essential commodity and will never lose its importance. Educated youth should take to farming.Technology should be more efficiently used.From government,we expect better connectivity,transport,power supply and clean administration.Our fundamental aim is to make farmers self-sufficient,"he concludes.

Article Source - Times of India
Writer - Kanchan Gogate

What are your impressions on this article? Farmers Club like group certainly is a boon to farmers. Feel free to post your thoughts, queries and suggestions on this thread. Editorial team of agricultureinformation.com shall be monitoring the thread.
it's nice to know the success of this club, comprising of different groups.I would like to know more about this. can a group formed in andhra pradesh join this club? how can they be linked to this club activity?it's good to involve self help group also in this activity. here i understand different groups to be cultivating different crops or something like that. is it so?apart from vegetables and flowers, cereals, pulses, dairy products, etc can also be sold directly like this. I know many cosumers not being sure of the quality of the product they're using.here it's possible to create a link between producer and consumer. this helps us to know what a consumer is expecting from us, he also can understand the quality of the product and the process behind it's production.please give more details.

sargam08

Intrested to join abhinav club

HI SIR
I READ YOUR ARTICLE. ITS VEY INTRESTED. I AM POSTGRADUATE
FARMER. I AM FROM GUWAHATY ASSAM. HOW CAN I JOINED THE
CLUB. PLS SEND ME DETAIL.
THANX
DARSHAN SINGH
darshanrahi64@gmail.com

rajani21

HI SIR
I READ YOUR ARTICLE. ITS VEY INTRESTED. I AM POSTGRADUATE
FARMER. I AM FROM GUWAHATY ASSAM. HOW CAN I JOINED THE
CLUB. PLS SEND ME DETAIL.
THANX
DARSHAN SINGH
darshanrahi64@gmail.com
Dear Mr.Darshan Singh,

If anybody wants to join the club we give the training after which we start their project. The membership charges are Rs.1000. According to the market we start growing process.

As told by Mr.Dhyaneshwar Bodke,
------------------------
Regards,
Rajani

rajani21

Thank you for the details of joining the club.

One of our member would like to know

If any farmers want to join your club as member what benefits he can expect to get?

Regards,
Rajani

rajani21

Thank you for the details of joining the club.

One of our member would like to know

If any farmers want to join your club as member what benefits he can expect to get?

Regards,
Rajani
The benefits to a new member are we help in low cost production by organic farming and assist him in supplying the products directly to the consumers.

We help them to avail govt subsidy, loans and on production cost he wiill get 30% profit.

As replied by Mr.Dhyaneshwar Bodke,
----------------------

Regards,
Rajani

rajani21

Our members would like to know, since establishment of Abhinav Farmers Club what are the goals and objectives achieved? What are the next milestones to be achieved in next five years?

Regards,
Rajani

rajani21

Our members would like to know, since establishment of Abhinav Farmers Club what are the goals and objectives achieved? What are the next milestones to be achieved in next five years?

Regards,
Rajani
We have established 37 Farmers' Clubs across Maharashtra and all members of Farmers’ Clubs are doing great job in Agriculture.

In Maharashtra there are 43000 villages and small towns and in each one of them we will have 1 Farmers club and our goal is to make our farmers “King of World" .
We will teach all the self help groups about harvesting, packing, and will give them the selling jobs.

-------------------------
As said by Mr.Dhyaneshwar Bodke,

Regards,
Rajani

Last edited:

rajani21

it's nice to know the success of this club, comprising of different groups.I would like to know more about this. can a group formed in andhra pradesh join this club? how can they be linked to this club activity?it's good to involve self help group also in this activity. here i understand different groups to be cultivating different crops or something like that. is it so?apart from vegetables and flowers, cereals, pulses, dairy products, etc can also be sold directly like this. I know many cosumers not being sure of the quality of the product they're using.here it's possible to create a link between producer and consumer. this helps us to know what a consumer is expecting from us, he also can understand the quality of the product and the process behind it's production.please give more details.
Dear dvsvrb,

Please find answers to your questions as below.

1) A group formed in different place can join but some members need to take training in marketing and growing in high tech farming then they can join our club.

2) The group can be linked with our activities by first discussing on the phone and after a visit to our club in pune, they need to understand the system then they can join the club activities.

3) It depends upon the customer what he needs, any group before starting the growing process they will need to market survey.

Growing of different crops depends upon the temperature, rainfall, and labour availability.

4)We grow Vegetable (Indian,Exotic) Milk and Milk produts,Fruits and Grocery.

We do the complete study of what people are interested in and after that through self help groups we do the harvesting,packing,and selling activities.

Please feel free to post your queries if you have any.
---------------------
As replied by Mr.Dhyaneshwar Bodke.

rajani21

Dear Mr.Dhyaneswar Bodke,

Our readers would like to know What are the different exotic vegetables produced by the members on their respective lands?

Regards,
Rajani

rajani21

Dear Mr.Dhyaneswar Bodke,

Our readers would like to know What are the different exotic vegetables produced by the members on their respective lands?

Regards,
Rajani
Brokoli,Iceburge lettuce, Red Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage,Basil,Selery,Parcely,Cherry Tomato, Zukini ,Colour Capsicum etc. all these items can be grown on any land without any problems.
--------------------------
As told by Mr.Dhyaneswar Bodke

rajani21

Brokoli,Iceburge lettuce, Red Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage,Basil,Selery,Parcely,Cherry Tomato, Zukini ,Colour Capsicum etc. all these items can be grown on any land without any problems.
--------------------------
As told by Mr.Dhyaneswar Bodke
Thank you Mr.Bodke.

----------------------------------
There is another question our readers are interested to know.

How the members interact with each other? Do you have any weekly meetings? Please tell about networking amongst the members in detail?

Regards,
Rajani

shantu 7

Your farmers club is very helpful for our farmers.

Our farmers would like to know---If any farmer wants to join what are the ___prerequisites? What is the profile of existing members?

Please share the details.
regards

shantu 7

rajani21

Thank you Mr.Bodke.

There is another question our readers are interested to know.

How the members interact with each other? Do you have any weekly meetings? Please tell about networking amongst the members in detail?

Regards,
Rajani
Existing members are now doing floriculture and growing exotic vegetables which directly supply to malls, hotels and we earn Rs.1000-2000 daily.

As replied by Mr.Bodke.

kristina

Presentation of the website www.amaltheiasgarden.gr

My name is Christina Papapostolou and I come from Greece. I started a campaign in indiegogo (the link is this: Amaltheia's garden website -- Indiegogo) and I aspire to help the world learn all about the rich produce of the Greek land which in its vast majority is unknown. I am hoping, that by doing my best, I will be able to offer a complete list with all the Greek producers. Thank you all in advance.

rajani21

My name is Christina Papapostolou and I come from Greece. I started a campaign in indiegogo (the link is this: Amaltheia's garden website -- Indiegogo) and I aspire to help the world learn all about the rich produce of the Greek land which in its vast majority is unknown. I am hoping, that by doing my best, I will be able to offer a complete list with all the Greek producers. Thank you all in advance.
Dear Christina,

Thank you for sharing the information.

Its good to learn that you have started a campaign.

Please share some more details about the campaign so that our readers can also know about it.

Regards,
Rajani

kristina

First of all thank you for asking more information about my campaign in indiegogo(the link is this:http://www.indiegogo.com/amaltheias-garden-website?a=835645), the idea came to me about 3 months ago, regarding the difficult economical and social situation in Greece, it was impossible for me to find a job, so my first thought was to start my own business. And not any business but one which will have something to do with promoting the agricultural produce of the Greek land. Greece is not only the islands but the entire country, it can provide us the best of high-value products which are produced by mainly organic methods. The webpage will contain a complete presentation of the producers and their produce per agricultural area. It will also have a list of agricultural co-operatives in which local products are produced. Our aim is to make this webpage a link between the producers and the consumers of their products. The consumers will be able to contact the producers directly and find out all about the products being produced and to order them.
Through this webpage we aspire to get the Greek produce noticed abroad, and become known to the tourists that visit Greece, seeing as they will be able to find and order the produce they want by coming into direct contact with the local producers.
So to make all of this happen money are required and unfortunately i cannot do much with the unemployment allowance which is only 360 euros per month, i need the money first to construct the webpage and cover initial operating expenses necessary to approach the producers who will be advertised on the webpage. Indiegogo is a great opportunity for me to raise an amount of money in order to get started. Any help will be valuable.
Thank you all in advance, for attending this presentation of my campaign.