The Vanadurgi Agarwood India Limited is a public limited company that is exclusively involved in the cultivation and marketing of agarwood in India, you can contact them. The Central Government, through its Department of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH), provides 75 per cent subsidy for agar cultivation in India.
I am interested in Agar wood cultivation. I require some clarifications
1. What is the suitable soil and climate for agar cultivation ?
2. What are the uses of the Agar tree ?
3. Can agar trees be grown as intercrops in coconut gardens or do they require an open area ?
4. Which species in the agar family has more market value ?
5. Where can I get original saplings and what is the cost ?
6. What is the spacing required ?
7. How many years does it take for maturity ?
8. Who are the buyers ?
9. What is the current market price for aquilaria agallocha ?
10 Does it require a lot of water ?
11. Can it withstand drought ?
12. Can you give me the addresses of Agar cultivators in South India ?
Dear Mr. Prabhu, Forget AGAR. The agro cliamatic conditons of most parts of India except NE are not suitable for agar. U have to burnt your fingers. U have to regret, later. We worked on the ''Possible cultivation of agar in India'', way back in 2004 for one MNC which is in active incense stick production. We found that agar is not suitable for cultivation in most of the parts of India.
Even though you do it, you have to wait for years for agar forming. Or you can inoculate the bacteria into the tree and that proven tech of bacteria inoculation is not available here in India. So, dont go for agar cultivation.
We prepared a small write up on agar, where u can get some brief info on agar. Send us a enquiry to email@example.com to enable us to send the same to you.
Last edited by sampadafarms; November 4th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.