Notices

Thread: intercorp for coconut trees

1. #1 intercorp for coconut trees 

any one could suggest me for successful intercorp under the15 year old coconut trees.good amount of water resource is available. our filed is located near by coimbatore city.

I am no expert, but I think you can cultivate patchouli in between as it should not be grown in direct sunlight.

Blog Entries
    Dear Sir,
    Intercropping and mixed cropping
    Schedules for inter/mixed cropping may be drawn up based on the canopy size, age and spacing of palms. In general, palms in the age group of 8-25 years are not suitable for inter and mixed cropping. However, cereals and tapioca are recommended as intercrops in young coconut plantation up to 3-4 years. Since ginger and turmeric are shade tolerant crops with shallow roots, they can be intercropped in coconut garden even in the age group of 15-25 years. It ensures better land utilization, solar energy harvesting, efficient water use, utilization of soil nutrient resources, more returns and an insurance against crop failure. Under conditions of wider spacing i.e. beyond 7.6 m, intercropping is possible irrespective of the age of the palms.

The following crops are recommended as intercrops.
    Cereals: Rice, maize
    Legumes and pulses: Groundnut, horse gram, cowpea
    Tubers: Tapioca, sweet potato, yams, colocasia
    Spices and condiments: Ginger, turmeric, chilly, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove
    Fruit plants: Banana, pineapple, papaya. (Banana variety Palayankodan is recommended in the reclaimed soils of Kuttanad. Three suckers per clump have to be retained).
    Beverage crop: Cocoa
    Fodder grasses: Hybrid Napier, guinea grass

In all cases, separate application of adequate fertilizers and manures to the individual crop is essential.

Crop cafeteria for multiple cropping in coconut garden
    Perennials: Cocoa, nutmeg, pepper, clove, lemongrass and cinnamon.
    Annuals:

(a) Kharif: Rice, maize, groundnut, ginger, turmeric, chilli, yams, colocasia, red gram, vegetables, sweet potato, tapioca, banana, pineapple, papaya and fodder grass.
    (b) Rabi: Sesame, horse gram, red gram, vegetables, cowpea, sweet potato and banana.
    (c) Summer: Vegetables
    Regardsm
    SWAMY
    Last edited by moderator A; August 29th, 2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: only business members are allowed to post contact info. please click My Account to upgrade

4. #4 hi 

Dear brother ,I am in tamilnadu erode district,SPKBIOTECH we are provide your requiremente kindly contact
    Last edited by moderator A; September 5th, 2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: only business members are allowed to post contact info. please click My Account to upgrade