Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Ecenomics of agri and early retirement from corporate career

Register

Click Here!

rmathews

dear members,

As discussed several time and seen in in various forums and threads, almost every 2-3 out of 10 corporate pressure cookers dreams to get an early retirement at 35-40yrs of age and dreaming for peaceful, cinematic and well settled economic life in Agriculture farming or diary farming .. or various farming activities in remote or native village places...

who ever born in rural and migrated to city dwellers in urban corporate life and spending 10-15 yrs with a corpus fund of 50-75lacs dream to get out of the corporate life and venture in rural life.

but what is the real fact ?? whether such things are foolishness or really worth to migrate back to the native or rural place. those born and bought up in urban city may not have such feelings but from the various threads have experienced that most of the chaps born, studied in rural and for the job settled in city always dreams for going bank.

we have number of threads on such deliama or plans but do not have that much forums where actual experience speaks after settling back in rural after almost 10-15 yrs life in urban

yes such thoughts may be differ from person to person and their mental desire. however there are some generic facts which I thought members may contribute and share.

a short snaps on Corporate life/urban life

almost 10-15 yrs time already spent in the comfort of AC corporate life, well furnished homes, cars, weekly/monthly outings, good attires, social get together, steady and good income of more than 50K /month, same age group youth forums or social circles, subject in discussions always modern and minuet by minute news, gadgets, pupils attend posh school, wife have their own kitty parties, gossip circles, best beuti parleys and spending money for sweating in gyms....etc . in office designation and chair make the difference and respect. even though every one says hectic life, busy life. stress...etc but deep in side mind every one enjoy the life

snaps on Agricultural /farming

where in agri farming, everything goes slowly and naturally. Plants can not be develop/grow as we have used to ordered to our subordinates in corporate. rural life also again slow, no ac, no modern social circles and topic of subject for discussion may be most of negative news in news papers or near by areas. even though you used to show off in city, here in rural even if you are rich there is a way of simple life and show off/ not beyond that else so called rural social circle may not adopt as their own.

also in rural life, fear of reducing corpus fund you bought from city life, fear on what about monthly income, fear about getting out from the most comfort life of city especial wife and kids... ...etc

so there are lot of struggles may be in real life in rural. the attitude and mental view how to tackle such struggles to tune the life in happy more in rural is most important. again a family person he has to settle and manage same such emotions and feelings of his wife and kids which may be most difficult part...

I request members to express their views and ideas on this matter. most importantly how to mold the rural agricultural life most successful in line with ones life in urban corporate life he has spent. for calculation purpose we consider he might have 50-60lca in corpus fund and he may need an income of min 50-60k per month.

my view that keep the corpus in bank and start a diary farm of 10-20cows which may start steady income as well as it can be full fill his desire to do agri farming too. and he can lead a healthy, wealthy and peaceful life in rural.

or else continue the corporate job till 60 and till kids settled with dreaming always one day farming will done and retire with bagages of grits, body troubles and luxury deases....

awaiting views.

rgds
mathew

ssmanak

Mathew
There is a difference in dreams and reality. Once you are in corporate world for say 15 years, means you have kids who have fully urban outlook. Firstly you need to look at their educational requirements, secondly do they share your dreams. More importantly does your wife share your dreams. Remember your dream implies hardship to them.

In my case i am born & brought up in cities. However I have inherited a house and land in my native village. I am a GM in an indian multinational. I have similar dream as you have.
Regards

rmathews

yes true

yes facts and dreams are differ. thanks for your views. hope members already passed in this phase may share their experience too.

dennisfurtado

dear members,

As discussed several time and seen in in various forums and threads, almost every 2-3 out of 10 corporate pressure cookers dreams to get an early retirement at 35-40yrs of age and dreaming for peaceful, cinematic and well settled economic life in Agriculture farming or diary farming .. or various farming activities in remote or native village places...

who ever born in rural and migrated to city dwellers in urban corporate life and spending 10-15 yrs with a corpus fund of 50-75lacs dream to get out of the corporate life and venture in rural life.

but what is the real fact ?? whether such things are foolishness or really worth to migrate back to the native or rural place. those born and bought up in urban city may not have such feelings but from the various threads have experienced that most of the chaps born, studied in rural and for the job settled in city always dreams for going bank.

we have number of threads on such deliama or plans but do not have that much forums where actual experience speaks after settling back in rural after almost 10-15 yrs life in urban

yes such thoughts may be differ from person to person and their mental desire. however there are some generic facts which I thought members may contribute and share.

a short snaps on Corporate life/urban life

almost 10-15 yrs time already spent in the comfort of AC corporate life, well furnished homes, cars, weekly/monthly outings, good attires, social get together, steady and good income of more than 50K /month, same age group youth forums or social circles, subject in discussions always modern and minuet by minute news, gadgets, pupils attend posh school, wife have their own kitty parties, gossip circles, best beuti parleys and spending money for sweating in gyms....etc . in office designation and chair make the difference and respect. even though every one says hectic life, busy life. stress...etc but deep in side mind every one enjoy the life

snaps on Agricultural /farming

where in agri farming, everything goes slowly and naturally. Plants can not be develop/grow as we have used to ordered to our subordinates in corporate. rural life also again slow, no ac, no modern social circles and topic of subject for discussion may be most of negative news in news papers or near by areas. even though you used to show off in city, here in rural even if you are rich there is a way of simple life and show off/ not beyond that else so called rural social circle may not adopt as their own.

also in rural life, fear of reducing corpus fund you bought from city life, fear on what about monthly income, fear about getting out from the most comfort life of city especial wife and kids... ...etc

so there are lot of struggles may be in real life in rural. the attitude and mental view how to tackle such struggles to tune the life in happy more in rural is most important. again a family person he has to settle and manage same such emotions and feelings of his wife and kids which may be most difficult part...

I request members to express their views and ideas on this matter. most importantly how to mold the rural agricultural life most successful in line with ones life in urban corporate life he has spent. for calculation purpose we consider he might have 50-60lca in corpus fund and he may need an income of min 50-60k per month.

my view that keep the corpus in bank and start a diary farm of 10-20cows which may start steady income as well as it can be full fill his desire to do agri farming too. and he can lead a healthy, wealthy and peaceful life in rural.

or else continue the corporate job till 60 and till kids settled with dreaming always one day farming will done and retire with bagages of grits, body troubles and luxury deases....

awaiting views.

rgds
mathew
Thanks Mathews for the information you shared it is a real eye opener for some one like me who wants to venture out in agriculture,I hope people share some of their real stores who have taken this step to motvate some-one like me.

ponsanthan

Agriculture activity by Urban dwellers

Dear Friends,
The concept is a nice one. I too like it.The responsibilities coming under this activity are

1. The investment and return
2. Maintaing the daily activities.
3. Monitoring the plan
4. Direct supervision
5. Selling the produce and recover the investment
6. Satisfying the spouse and children.
7. Deploying suitable, reliable manpower.

Taking into all these parameters in to account, if we plan and implement definitely there is scope. If it is not properly monitored we need to lose the amount invested.Several unemployed rural youths definitly get benefit from such projects.

sadka

dear mr. mathew, thank you very much that someone is there thinking in this line.that is settling in rural areas. ask ur selves as to why u had to leave rural area for a job. y it could not be created in the rural area. v grow our staple food rice only 3 months a year where as america grows and export food grains 12 months a year.y?. go to japnese cities ,u will find every patch of land having some kind of cultivation. no vacant land. problem is , v have got goat mentality. v will never lead,only follow others. one minister said that 60% of the population would move to urban areas. if u give agriculture same incentives that u give to industries, people would not migrate to urban areas in the first place. there are lot of avenues these days in rural areas to mint money, such as, by growing sandal wood trees in one acre of land, y can earn more than 1 crore rupees after 12 years by spending just 6.0 lac rupees and by that time ur land price also appriciates. likewise u can grow palm trees , vegetables, fruits ,medicinal herbs, cold storage etc., where u get govt.subsidy and low interest rate for loans. y, mr.mathew,v are condemned to be poor? is it because v lack now good ,selfless leadership which led us to independence to lead us? my whole argument is that donot be disheartened and be courageous and hard working, there is money to earn in rural areas even now, and live a peaceful life like our elders did.

peterappolian

Dear Mathew,

Your write-up was an eye opener, like Dennis said. Unilaterally changing the direction of your life midway without taking into consideration your immediate fanmily's views and aspirations is asking for trouble, i guess. But then we have our dreams as well and it is well worth the risk trying to live our dreams. The least we can say is that we gave it a try. And if you are really passionate and persistent about it, there is no way but to succeed. In the worst case scenario, you might end up with a few acres of land in a rural set up. And if you happen to buy somewhere in the periphery of an expanding city, who knows, your kids might become land lords and millionaires. I am from Bangalore and i know a few such cases.
So to summarise, firstly, we have to be passionate about it, secondly we have to take on board our family.....hmmm.. that might require some effort, thirdly, invest in land not very far from a city. Just some random thoughts, Mathew, your write up triggered it, ha ha .

regards,
Peter.

rmathews

true ffacts

dear friends

thanks for sharing your views. basically I think, the problem or issues are with our mind and way of viewing the matter. We thinking too much and fearing too much on our dream rural settlement. let us think When we are in corporate we are become instrumentals for the companies growth and success and why that quality or ability not applied for our on inspired thoughts and entrepreneurship. We have classical examples of techie2agrie,. and mr kevin from banglore. techie2agrie even left a lucrative job from US and now doing successful and motivating farming in TN.

Who ever born in rural might have experienced that what was we got from our rural education system and in practically in real corporate life how we struggled to succeeded. when an ordinary person can success in a urban corporate life why can not we make fortunes in agri and rural farmings. we need think on that.

so basically I think our fear is nothing but sacrificing the comfort level we are enjoying now. yes there is a passion and dream about agri farming, but still fear is hanging thinking lot about what will happen .. if our plan not materialized...

so with the dream we starts our negative thoughts too. I think if we plan properly and realistic and we put our personal efforts we can succeeded. when a man succeed on what matter wife to nag !!!!!!!!!ha ha bcuse probeb is that behind of every successful man there is lady....

We all are will be grateful some of the real adventurists who has already taken this path and still in farming may pls share the experiences....

rds
mathew

ajkumar

dear friends

thanks for sharing your views. basically I think, the problem or issues are with our mind and way of viewing the matter. We thinking too much and fearing too much on our dream rural settlement. let us think When we are in corporate we are become instrumentals for the companies growth and success and why that quality or ability not applied for our on inspired thoughts and entrepreneurship. We have classical examples of techie2agrie,. and mr kevin from banglore. techie2agrie even left a lucrative job from US and now doing successful and motivating farming in TN.

Who ever born in rural might have experienced that what was we got from our rural education system and in practically in real corporate life how we struggled to succeeded. when an ordinary person can success in a urban corporate life why can not we make fortunes in agri and rural farmings. we need think on that.

so basically I think our fear is nothing but sacrificing the comfort level we are enjoying now. yes there is a passion and dream about agri farming, but still fear is hanging thinking lot about what will happen .. if our plan not materialized...

so with the dream we starts our negative thoughts too. I think if we plan properly and realistic and we put our personal efforts we can succeeded. when a man succeed on what matter wife to nag !!!!!!!!!ha ha bcuse probeb is that behind of every successful man there is lady....

We all are will be grateful some of the real adventurists who has already taken this path and still in farming may pls share the experiences....

rds
mathew
Its simple - Brain power vs muscle power.The second keeps you healthy too.

Be prepared to take new steps.Risk is there in all. Careful planning,Execution, will lead you to the road ahead.

rmathews

Be prepared to take new steps.Risk is there in all. Careful planning,Execution, will lead you to the road ahead.
ha...ha agree.... ekdam appropriate quote...

santosok

ha...ha agree.... ekdam appropriate quote...
I am myself thinking on these lines.In fact I have already bought a piece of farm and have constructed a house there.I go and stay there some times. I think this is a fantastic concept and Mathew has done an excellent job of putting it down on paper.It will be not only peaceful, healthy and enjoyable exercise, but it will also turnout to be a rewarding exercise since the land which you will develop will appreciate manifold in 5 to 10 years.People will come and seek your advice on how to resettle themselves in rural lands.And these days vehicle quality is good so you need not worry about maintenance.I am near Pune so for me cheap and beautiful land available in Konkan at cheaper rate.There is also an additional business of agri tourism.All in all it is the thing to do now.CHEERS
Santosh

chenna1

Excellent. Well Said. How ever with a small amendment " Brain Power + Muscle Power"

gursminder

HELLO EVERY ONE ..a very informative dicussion ,i think every person born in rural area dreams to die in his native village,i am in canada(most advanced & beautiful country in world and dream destination of lots of Indians) living for past seven years ,but my heart still lives in my village & defineatly will return back to my village for a peaceful life because my village is best part of this world.

rmathews

Appreciate still your thoughts and mind live in Village. and Gandhiji said India is living in Village......

shajathali

Hi

I am giving success story of some persons who wrote in some other web sites

DEAR MEMBERS,
I AM BORN IN A SMALL AGRICULTURISTS FAMILY. BECAUSE OF SMALL HOLDING AND MORE MEMBERS IN THE UNDIVIDED FAMILY I COULD NOT DEPEND ON AGRICULTURE AND HAD TO GO TO SCHOOL. AFTER FINISHING MY SSLC I CAME TO BANGALORE AND WAS SERVING IN A HOTEL AND IN THE MEANTIME I GOT A JOB IN TELECOM COMPANY IE IN BSNL. I WAS RETIRED AS A SENIOR ENGINEER IN THE DEPT AFTER SERVING FOR ABOUT 40 YEARS OF SATISFACTORY SERVICE JUST FIVE YEARS BACK. BUT I WANTED TO BE ACTIVE IN MY FUTURE LIFE AND CONTRIBUTE TO SOME EXTENT TO THE COUNTRY I THOUGHT AGRICULTURE IS THE BEST FIELD THOUGH I HAD OPPORTUNITY TO GET APPOINTMENT IN SOME OF THE TELECOM COMPANIES.
I PURCHASED THREE ACRE LAND IN DENKANIKOTTAI NEAR HOSUR ABOUT 65 KM AWAY FROM BANGALORE.
I HAVE LEVELLED THE LAND FROM 8 STEPS TO THREE STEPS.I HAVE CONSTRUCTED A FARM SHED OF 6 SQUARES. CONTRUCTED A FENCE AROUND THE BORDER OF THE LAND. A BOREWELL WITH FREE EB WAS AVAILABLE . ARRANGED ALL THE THREE ACRES WAS ARRANGED FOR DRIP IRRIGTION.
I HAVE PLANTED 1800 THAIWAN RED LADY PAPPAYA IN THE LAST OCTOBER MONTH IN TWO ACRES. IN ANOTHER I PLANTED MARY GOLD. AFTER FOUR MONTHS I GOT AN YIELD OF 22 TONS OF MARYGOLD. NOW I HAVE PLANTED 3000 ASHGOURD IN THAT FIELD. MY PAPPYA STARTED YIELD REGULARLY WELL IN TIME IN THE MONTH OF RAMZAN FETCHING GOOD CASH. NOW EVERY WEAK I AM GETTING 1.5 TONS OF PAPPAYA FETCING ABOUT 50 TO 60 THOUSABND PER MONTH. I AM VISITING MY FARM TWICE IN A WEAK FROM BANGALORE.THERE IS A VERY GOOD REMARKABLE OF THE LAND PRICE ALSO. INITIALLY I WAS INTERESTED FOR HIGHTICH AGRICULTURE BUT BANKS DID NOT GIVE ME THE LOAN. DONT MIND . SO MANY ALTERNATIVES ARE THERE.
I AM VERY HAPPY . I WANT TO EXTEND MY AGRICULTURE. I AM VERY HAPPY BECAUSE I AM CONTRIBUTING MY SMALL MIGHT IN PROVIDING GOOD FOOD TO
MY FELLOWAN. I HAVE GOT LOT OF AMBITION IN MY FUTURE.
ACCORDING TO MY OPENION PURCHASE SOME ONE OR TWO ACRE LAND S9OME WHERE NEAR A BIG CITY AND GO FOR EXCOTIC VEGETABLE OR HIGHTECH AGRICULTURE . DEFINITELY VERY GOOD INCOME UOU CAN EXPECT . DO SOME THING. DONT WASTE TIME . DONT HAVE DOUBT. ATTEND WORK SHOPS SEMINARS AND ATTEND AGRIMELAS. MEET PEOPLE PARTICULLARLY AGRICULTURISTS. GO AHEAD.TAKE UP . GREEN REVOLUTION AND CONTRIBUTE TO WHITE REVOLUTION. EARN MONEY. SERVE THE COUNTRY.
JAY HO JAY HO.
MN UPADHYAYA.MOBILE.
Sir,

This is truly inspirational and very good motivation to the people. I admire your enthusiasm in doing something constructive.

Re: Economics of agri and an early retirement from corporate career
« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:20:37 PM »
well, I am also born in farmer family and have graduation in agriculture science.thereafter I joined bank service for about 30 years in one of the best public sector bank. In year 2001 when I was at senior manager posting at zonal level office.I had an opportunity to opt for vrs. with my certain goal to go for farming I invested some portion of my retirement benefit in purchasing 6.5 acre agriculture land as I have inherited agri. land too. I have develop orchard of mango ,lemon, amla and coconut trees, and few sag plants too.i have my own drip irrigation facility now.orchard farm having barbed wire fencing too.Interestingly all tree grownup to bearing stage are under my self personal care. I believe service to tree is service to God. I now planing to have inter crop like gum guwar, water melon, sakkarteti/musk melon in current year. Initially i had to work hard in farming operation by relying on others on rent for tillage but now system well organised for such operations. I am to go for organic farming too.

luckily, though initially oppose from my family and relatives for leaving good reputed job but I stick to my goal and now all relatives are happy with me. relatives had fear of my failure in agriculture bussiness but as a gold medalist at agriculture graduation level , I always like to have my success farm persuit.hence Iwas not hesitate in leaving ac chamber,I hope my future farming must be in control atmosphere i.e.green house.

ok

go ahead there are problems every where even if u walk on a road

regards
shajath

majajaypalvai

Thank you gentlemen for your viewson this topic i am some one born a nd brought up in environment ( though we have lands in our native village nevr used them for any purpose) went to study medicine and joined army did a 7 yr stint there. now along with pursuing career in medicine i also want to do some form of farming, largely to tell people who Were once farmers but given up farming citing that it's never profitable . My own research for the past few months have opened up new vistas in my thinking , If done scientifically and with little luck farming can pay better than most of the corporate jobs.

Hope senior fellows on this site will encourage me whatever I have set out for myself.

rmathews

right on track

Sir,

welcome on this forum and thread. believe that your thoughts on agri line is on right track and as said, with proper planning and in scientific manner but without forgetting local integration and traditional intelligence of the farmer, agri can be a profitable venture in economically as well as socially

rgds
mathew

rmathews

tentative budjeting for retirements ...

Dear Friends

just for the calculations purpose, I have made a brief budget plan of post retirement expense in rural set up for 2 + 2 nuclear family. considering age of man is 35-40 and kids are small in KGs or primary schools. all expenses considered on higher side and tried to not to compromise on comfort level/ min luxury keeping in mind that this family is shifting from Urban comfort to rural sets ups

All exp calculated per month basis

Food and Provisions 8000.00
Phone bill 1500.00
Electricity 1000.00
Medicine 1500.00
Gift and pleasantries 1500.00
Travelling exp 3000.00
Education 11000.00 (60k per yr/per child)
Servent salary 2500.00 (only part time help)
Misc exp, cloth prov 5000.00
Insurance provisions 4041.67 (med/lic/veh)
Compulsory savings 10000.00

Budjet Exp 49041.67

So on medium level aprx Rs 50K should be generated either from corpus or from your agri venture. also need to consider/deduct 10% inflation rate on expense from your total income while calculating.

inviting more feed backs.

rgds
rajan mathew

prajasu

Dear Friends

just for the calculations purpose, I have made a brief budget plan of post retirement expense in rural set up for 2 + 2 nuclear family. considering age of man is 35-40 and kids are small in KGs or primary schools. all expenses considered on higher side and tried to not to compromise on comfort level/ min luxury keeping in mind that this family is shifting from Urban comfort to rural sets ups

All exp calculated per month basis

Food and Provisions 8000.00
Phone bill 1500.00
Electricity 1000.00
Medicine 1500.00
Gift and pleasantries 1500.00
Travelling exp 3000.00
Education 11000.00 (60k per yr/per child)
Servent salary 2500.00 (only part time help)
Misc exp, cloth prov 5000.00
Insurance provisions 4041.67 (med/lic/veh)
Compulsory savings 10000.00

Budjet Exp 49041.67

So on medium level aprx Rs 50K should be generated either from corpus or from your agri venture. also need to consider/deduct 10% inflation rate on expense from your total income while calculating.

inviting more feed backs.

rgds
rajan mathew
The above story was truly inspirational. I am now more confident and determined to do agriculture. Mathew I agree with your calcuation but the point is we keep doing calcuation and time flies and when we look back we feel bad. What we do is over a glass of beer we all corporate people discuss and next day morning back to office. So let's take one step at a time, I have decided to buy some land the we will think whether to do agriculture or not. I think once we start we will be fine it is the initial doubtful thought that is causing the problem. I would like to do agriculture for some many reasons, for futhre food sustainability for the coming generation, lot of educated people coming in farming attracts and force goverment to do more for this basic and most important field etc etc. I have even though of what I will write in FB the day I get my first crop yield that day I can say I have contributed to the GDP of the cournty in the real term. Happy farming!!!