Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Limits on land holding

Register

Click Here!

subujosh

Dear All

Are there limits on how much land a person can own?
Is it a state-wise limit or all-India limit?
I was wondering how people are owning 100+ acres if there is such a limit.

Regards
Subu

ravihegde

Dear All

Are there limits on how much land a person can own?
Is it a state-wise limit or all-India limit?
I was wondering how people are owning 100+ acres if there is such a limit.

Regards
Subu
Land ownership limit is a state subject. There was no such limit during British rule. There was no limit even after India became independent. Around the year 1960 when the rulers at that time (you know who) devised what is called as land reforms act for promoting their vote bank. No doubt cause was noble, but the implementation was very messy. Very few deserving people got the benefit of it. Really rich people twisted the act in their favor and retained their land. For more information about limit you should read the land reforms act of the respective state. I am from Karnataka - https://www.legalcrystal.com/act/61958/karnataka-land-reforms-act-1961-complete-act. In Karnataka land holding limit is 54 acres of class D land. This limit changes if the person belongs to HUF (Hindu Undivided Family). HUF can hold much more as a joint holding. Limit changes depending on the land classification too. There is no limit if one grows pepper, cardamom, rubber etc. (called plantation crops) on the land. Therefore even in Karnataka one can own thousands of acres if the land is a plantation crop growing land as per govt. records! Some important sections of land reforms act do not apply to land on which plantation crops are grown. That is the power of rich farmers who managed to twist the rule in their favor.