Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Wanting to get into organic farming!

Register

Click Here!

tarancepi

Hi all!
I am a 26years woman, working and disliking a policy analyst job in Ottawa, Canada.
I studied International Development in my undergrad, and have aspirations to go back to school for a masters (maybe in community development/planning). I am very passionate about sustainability, community development, etc...
Recently I have been very interested in working in organic farming. I love plants (i'm vegan), the earth, the outdoors, and have been called recently to working with my hands as well as learning more about sustainable farming, permaculture, etc.
I was wondering what your tips are for breaking into the field? I have noticed that all the job postings are for experienced farmers. Do you know of any organic farms that pay a wage for new farmers? Should I study a program first?
Any advice you have is appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:

maitys

Hi all!
I am a 26years woman, working and disliking a policy analyst job in Ottawa, Canada.
I studied International Development in my undergrad, and have aspirations to go back to school for a masters (maybe in community development/planning). I am very passionate about sustainability, community development, etc...
Recently I have been very interested in working in organic farming. I love plants (i'm vegan), the earth, the outdoors, and have been called recently to working with my hands as well as learning more about sustainable farming, permaculture, etc.
I was wondering what your tips are for breaking into the field? I have noticed that all the job postings are for experienced farmers. Do you know of any organic farms that pay a wage for new farmers? Should I study a program first?
Thanks so much!!!
soiling your hands and loving plants and microorganisms is a lifestyle not profession or career .

user121

Hey there! I (28,F Canada) got into organic farming about 6 years ago now. I started by volunteering for a local organic farm that did a pretty widely distributed share box program. From what I could tell the fact that I was eager to learn, asked questions and showed up every day qualified me to get myself a job there within a couple of months. where am i192.168.8.1192.168.100.1
I worked there for a bit and then got a job outside of the industry for a while.
I would absolutely recommending working for someone for at least a season before you try your own venture. You will learn SO MUCH. You’ll make mistakes and understand how to fix it to remember for next season (trust me, once you learn you never forget)
I was about to start my own urban farm last spring but in then got thrown into managing a 12 acre field production + greenhouse. It was intense, it wasn’t an entire success- but I kept it running. At the end I couldn’t believe what I had just done and learned through the process.
I am so excited for you if this is the route you decide to choose. Working with the land has me in a state of wonder every day- and I don’t have to go to the gym so it’s a win win lol. If you ever have any questions feel free to reach out.
Good luck!!

Last edited:

shailsri7

Hi all!
Hi,
Indira gandhi national open university have a certificate course in organic forming. If you have investment than you may go with collaboration of Farmers or Land owners. I have Land pool for it in U.P.& NCR

roundcube

An example of a natural pesticide is pyrethrin, which is found naturally in the chrysanthemum flower. The principal methods of organic farming include crop rotation, green manures and compost, biological pest control, and mechanical cultivation. shareit vidmate

Last edited:

redlionfo

STEP 1: Develop an organic system plan. The organic system plan is the foundation of the organic certification process. ...
STEP 2: Implement the organic system plan. ...
STEP 3: Receive inspection. ...
STEP 4: Have a certifying agent review the inspection report. ...
STEP 5: Receive a decision from the certifier.

garao56

Conversion to organic farming will take at least 3 years

jothi01

Hey there! I (28,F Canada) got into organic farming about 6 years ago now. I started by volunteering for a local organic farm that did a pretty widely distributed share box program. From what I could tell the fact that I was eager to learn, asked questions and showed up every day qualified me to get myself a job there within a couple of months. where am i192.168.8.1192.168.100.1
I worked there for a bit and then got a job outside of the industry for a while.
I would absolutely recommending working for someone for at least a season before you try your own venture. You will learn SO MUCH. You’ll make mistakes and understand how to fix it to remember for next season (trust me, once you learn you never forget)
I was about to start my own urban farm last spring but in then got thrown into managing a 12 acre field production + greenhouse. It was intense, it wasn’t an entire success- but I kept it running. At the end I couldn’t believe what I had just done and learned through the process.
I am so excited for you if this is the route you decide to choose. Working with the land has me in a state of wonder every day- and I don’t have to go to the gym so it’s a win win lol. If you ever have any questions feel free to reach out.
Good luck!!
Are you the same with workaway community