Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Poultry Manure as Cow feed

Register

Click Here!

niksnarayana

Hi

I was recently talking to someone about poultry manure being used as major portion of cattle feed. Initially I could not accept the news.

Then I did some search on internet to confirm and found out that this is common practice abroad. Poultry litter as cattle feed
The poultry manure is dehydrated to bring down moisture level to somewhere around 15% which also kills harmful organisms.
Someone told me that all feed producers like KMF, SKM, Godrej use this to large extent due to high content of CP (25%) and low cost (Rs. 0.50 / kg).

What are your views on the usage, can small scale dairies use this oppurtunity? If yes then how?:confused:

Please if anyone has more information or is using let me know what is the result.

Regards
Nikhil

antony_pratap

Yes it is used

Yes It is been used.
Yes Poultry manure is definitely used for dairy for years now; I have seen it used personally in Texas in the beef industry as the animal’s weight up to ton each and require loads of protein. And poultry manure helps them balance feeding cost. Dry matter of poultry manure would carry up to 30% of crude protein. However it has to be dried in not more than 90’c since the temperature more than that would reduce the protein content.

It also has nutrient as calcium, few mineral nutrient. It is also feed to ruminants whoever one thing to watch while feeding sheep in that instance would be to understand that poultry was not on feed ration which had lot of copper and copper is not good for ruminants.

Few things you may want to keep in mind is, do not mix the poultry manure along with your feed and store for too long, it is noticed that it might reduce its nutrients value. Hence it can be kept separate and mixed while feeding. Also one will need to ensure that the manure is thoroughly cleaned as it should not contain any feathers.

As far the dairy part I’m not sure as I have not seen it personally or heard results personally but they are used in many countries. Part of my current program with TANUVAS in fodder optimization, I have planned to try the same with a smaller group of cows which are yielding the same; trying few on the existing ration and few on the TMR of poultry manure mixed with other protein dry fodder and see if it has any affect on dairy animals.

However there is no doubt on its protein content and it’s the sole reason why it is extensively used in fish farming. Fish farms which use poultry manure see the weight gain faster in fish than any other ration.

All the best!

Regards,
Antony

padmanabhan_ganesan

Dear niksnarayana,

Please do not follow what the westerners are following as it is.

Lets stick to the natural way and I think we should avoid these types of things just to get more money. This will result in unnecessary complications.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan