Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Need info on Sandalwood farming and Market

Register

Click Here!

manupunith

Hello friends,

I heard from one of my friend that, we have a new breed of Sandalwood which can grow fast with lesser care ( in comparison to the current seedling) and yields good results.

Can anyone suggest on the planting requirements, care level and the Market for sandal wood (including the income I can expect after 10 years)

I have about 3 acres of land where i would like to plant Hebbevu (white cedar) along with sandalwood.

I appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Manu

Last edited:

Ashwini

HI
The Govt of India has passed an ordinance in the parliment in the year of 2002 to cultivate the sandalwood in private patta land.And also we must intimate to the District forest officer during the plantations.

WIll get back to you on the new variety.

White Cedar whose scientific name is Melia azedarach L. is also commonly known as Persian Lilac, Chinaberry and Umbrella tree. you can cultivate it along with sandalwood.

REgards
Ashwini

mokshe

I am also interested in the same. Can you share some details on the projected cost and returns?

Last edited by a moderator:

bssreddy

I am also interested in the sandal wood farming, can anyone share the information and about type of seedlings, and necessity of water facilities, type of soilin which they grow and all other information. and details on the projected cost and returns?

shanmuga06

Sandalwood cultivation

In sandalwood cultivation there is no high yield vaiety is invented.Its only propagated only seed germination.There is no tissue culture ,stump/root culture,grafting & cloning .Normally the sandalwood will grows very slowly.One up on a time the sandalwood was a wild cultivation aswell as wild collection.Now due to adquote heavy shortage of sandalwood in the jungle now we are doing field cultivation.I think there is no possiblity to harvest the sandalwood with in ten years.The harvest period minimum 15 years onwards.

For more details plz contact us:

A SIVAKUMAR
Priya Nursery Garden
KARAIKUDUI-630001,TN
priyagar06@yahoo.co.in

shanmuga06

Sandalwood cultivation

The sandalwood cultivation was intracted by the farmers now a days.But so many legal formalities will be there while harvesting the sandalwood.In Tamilnadu somewhat better than when comparing with other state.Because here two sandalwood depot are availiable for disposal.Intially we will make necessary entries in the Village revenue authority and get the extract of the same from revenue authority .The intimation to the district forest officer or regional manager of forest plantation corporation concerned area.Necssary safety measures like bucca fencing like barbared iron with rock pillars with double layers,solar fencing system,watch dogs (country dogs also sufficient) with man power.we have planted two sandalwood tree plants height 4 feet @ "Jagad Guru Kripaluji Maharaj" mutt,Mangarh (post),Kunda(teshil) ,Pratapgarh (Dist) U.P

Last edited: