Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Ramana Reddy -Brings change in production methodologies

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Brings change in production methodologies and sales strategies to earn good profits

“With chemical based farming the expenditure was more and yield was poor. Therefore I switched to natural farming since 2002. First two years the yield dropped but from third year onwards the production increased and is consistent. The soil of my farmland is fertile, production expenses are less and annual income is good. The yield of cotton in my farm is 13 quintal/acre with expenses Rs. 5 thousand/acre while it is 10 quintal/acre with expenses minimum Rs. 40 thousand/acre for farmers using fertilizers and pesticides. Similarly chili production in my farm is 35 quintal/acre with investment Rs. 10 thousand/acre while others get 20-25 quintal/acre after spending Rs. 10 thousand/acre. Besides the water required for irrigation is less in my farm. Altogether, natural farming is certainly profitable,” says Mr. Ramana Reddy, natural farmer from Karwanga village, Nagerkurnool district, Telangana.
477071970_m.jpg

His farm spreads in 30 acres having cotton as the main crop grown in 18 acre while chili, paddy and pigeon pea pulses are grown in the remaining acreage. “Unfortunately due to poor rainfall we are able to get only one crop per year in monsoon. Nevertheless being into 100% natural farming our revenues are satisfactory,” he adds. Production cost is less as seeds used are 100% indigenous, “I store seeds every year for all four crops for the next season harvest. Desi seeds are also exchanged with other natural farmers. Manure and crop protection liquids are prepared in the farm premises from our own small dairy unit.” There are four ongole cows and four local dwarf breed cows at the farm. These are raised only for its dung and urine as milk yield is quite less.

“We use cow dung and urine to make different farming inputs. The results are amazing!” he claims. Seeds are first treated with beejamrutha in order to enhance the germination and plant growth. Later using drip or sprinklers panchgavya and jeevamrutha are sprayed across the farmland to improve the microbial activity in the soil. Lastly neemastra, agniastra and bramastra are sprayed on the crops to safeguard it from pest and disease attack. “I also use asafoetida (hing) to prepare natural fungicide. To do so 250 gram asafoetida is mixed in 200 liter water and sprayed on the crops. It keeps away the fungus from the cotton crop.”

Cotton is sown after May 15 and is harvested in first or second week of September. The cotton produced is sold to the traders at Rs. 7 thousand per quintal. “Inspite of not using any chemicals in the farm and producing superior quality cotton we are yet to get a good market for selling cotton. We are assuming it is because we do not have the certification! Nonetheless practicing natural farming methods we do not incur loss in cotton cultivation. There are 50 plus farmers in my village who are growing cotton naturally hence bulk buyer from garment industry can strike a good deal with us,” he asserts.

Paddy cultivated is RNR 15048 as well as desi varieties namely navara, sugandh samba and ratna chouri. Desi varieties are rich in medicinal properties therefore demand is good. Chili grown is red variety known as Harsha. “We do not sell chili but process it into fine powder and pack in 1 kg pack. We also process tuar dal (pigeon pea). Chili powder, tuar dal and rice are sold at Rs. 200/kg, Rs. 140/kg and Rs. 60/kg respectively directly to the end consumers at 2-3 apartments in Hyderabad. I have a customer base of 500. They get best quality food and I get best price for my produce. It is win-win situation for both of us,” he reveals.

Opportunities to earn good money in agriculture are immense but awareness and networking is poor says Mr. Reddy, “Recently I got a buyer who wanted to buy cotton from me for exporting to Japan and proposed to give double the price but I sold my entire produce a week before! If I had known about the export value of organic cotton and ways to find such buyers I could have earn huge profits. Never mind, I have learnt the lesson this year, will try to have good sales for cotton next year,” he shares.

Mr. Reddy concludes, “My life has changed completely by going natural. I wish other farmers also ditch the chemical based farming and step towards affluence. Further I strongly feel that our nation will prosper if the farmer prospers. Let us grow healthy and grow rich!”

Contact details:
Mr. Ramana Reddy
Karwanga Village, Telkapally Mandal, Nagerkurnool District – 509 385, Telangana
Mobile: +91 9951341819