Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. N Madhubalan - Uses facebook to help farmers make way out of their farming problems and query

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Uses Facebook to help farmers make way out of their farming problems and query

“Farmers have laptop and smart-phones in their homes with internet connection! How? Their children are studying computer in schools and colleges. So to reach these farmers in a meaningful way I started a facebook page exclusive on farming ‘Vivasayam Karkalam’ in 2014. I update it every day with some post on farming. Members comment on it with their doubts or query. I ensure to send reply to all of them with the purpose to resolve their problems and keep them going in their farming schedules and activities,” says Mr. N. Madhubalan, recently retired Deputy Director Agriculture, Tamil Nadu. He resides at Vennampatti, Dharmapuri District, Tamil Nadu
IMG_20140202_102336.jpg
Mr. N. Madhubalan

Mr. Madhubalan has served in the agriculture department in different capacities for more than three decades. Even when he was in service, he ensured to visit the farmers’ field during weekends to help them in best possible way. “With social media I wanted to create a platform that is 100% committed to the knowledge share in agriculture for the farming enthusiast all over the world. It is vital that farmers must have an easy access to latest updates and assistance to solve problems on the fields. Facebook is a great network to connect same industry people,” he adds. Presently the page is available in Tamil language.

Vivasayam Karkalam has 18000 followers, most of them in their thirties are passionate about farming. “Apart from the full time farmers, many followers on my page are farmers’ sons and daughters who are working abroad but concerned about their farmlands in India. Most commonly asked questions are -converting barren land into an organic farm, drip irrigation, improving the yield using natural farming practices, using livestock manure and processing, agricultural implements reviews etc,” he highlights.
IMG_20140201_151750.jpg
Other than the discussing the problems and suggesting the probable solutions members are even sharing their farming tips on the page with others. It is slowly becoming a good source of information exchange completely dedicated to farming. In addition to the facebook posts, Mr. Madhubalan also provides details over the phone, ‘I have shared my mobile number on the page hence receive many calls from members residing in United States of America, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia and Dubai etc. Sometimes they even visit my home and stay for some days to learn farming intricacies.” Till now he offered all the services free of cost but after retirement he is planning to put up a small administration fees! Horticulture is the main area of interest amongst the page followers precisely vegetables cultivation.

Green house cultivation is arousing immense interest amongst the young farming enthusiast for growing exotic vegetables. It is advised to begin the farming endeavor in green house by growing coloured capsicum. Mr. Madhubalan gives lot of updates on drip irrigation as he believes, “Drip irrigation is the most proficient way using water. Every farm should have the drip irrigation to manage water scarcity.”
IMG_20141214_171525.jpg
Another post that receives lot of attention by the members is manure. Use of livestock dung is extremely important in farming. “Other than cow dung and urine even poultry, goat and sheep dung makes excellent manure. For example goat manure boosts the growth of fruits trees and improves its resistance. Poultry dung must be used when it is completely dry. I even recommend vermicompost largely to the farmers. It all makes the soil fertile and healthy,” he asserts.

As members are interested in natural farming practices, “I share updates on this subject. Further it is regular practice to put the posts on latest technologies in farming that can be implemented in simple way,” he adds.

Awareness and inclination towards natural farming practices is increasing at a rapid speed but it is subject to some debates like low yield and market price fluctuations etc. “Irrespective to the controversies farming remains important sector because populations is growing and we have to produce food for all of them. I am committed to make farming interesting and hassle free,” he states.

In time to come Mr. Madhubalan plans to make posts in English language as well so that more people can be connected. He concludes saying, “Facebook technology is not only about posting personal photos and meaningless posts. It is the no-expenses medium to exchange useful and practical knowledge that can be implemented on the fields and farmers can be benefitted. I hope my page ‘Vivasayam Karkalam’ strives to help farmers in all ways!”

Contact details:

Mr. N Madhubalan
351, HIG, TNHB, Vennampatti, Dharmapuri District, Tamil Nadu – 636 705
Mobile: +91 97515 06521
Email: balmadhu@gmail.com
Web: https://www.facebook.com/vivasayamkarkalam/

Last edited:

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)