Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Mr. Janardhan Namdev Darade - Contract chicken farmer

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Contract chicken farmer advises to select chicken processing company prudently

“Contract farming for chicken assures regular income once in 2 months and safeguards the chicken farmers from the fluctuating market prices. Unquestionably the contract farming model is profitable but the chicken processing company must be selected wisely,” recommends Mr. Janardhan Namdev Darade, founder, Akshay Poultry Farm. The farm is located at Nalwadi village, Sinner, Nasik district, Maharashtra.
Janardhan Darade.jpg
Mr. Janardhan Namdev Darade

There are many integrated chicken processing companies in India namely Godrej, Venkateshwara, Suguna, Premium, Anand Agro and so on. “All these are established brands but the farmer can work for only one at a time. Amongst all these it sometimes becomes difficult to select one! Being a contract chicken farmer since 2010 I have worked with four companies. And my experience says that the breed of birds given by the processing company must be researched well!” he highlights.

Breed of the bird should be disease resistant, have a normal growth rate and good immunity. “It must gain the weight consistently. Also to overall manage the flock must be customary else if it requires excessive attention it would increase the operational cost and lower the profit. The birds should have good immunity to the weather changes else if the mortality is high it is loss to the farmer. Company must give a well structured program for raising the birds,” says Mr. Janardhan.

Another area of consideration is feed. The feed is always provided by the processing company. “If possible have a check on the feed offered by the company. The feed offered by the company should have a right blend of nutrition so that the birds gain good weight. Preferably it must be a 3-stage feeding program (starter, grower and finisher) - The starter for the first 2 - 3 week, the grower for next two week, and the finisher for the remainder. On an average if a bird eats 3kg feed it gains 2 kg weight and if not then the feed lacks the nutrition or the breed is not good. And it is loss for the farmer. This can be checked after interacting with other contract poultry farmers of the company or questioning the officers during the discussion time before signing the agreement.”

The next important criterion is medical care. The number of visits by the poultry veterinarians of the company and vaccination prescribed by them must be considered. “Usually vaccination is provided by the company and farmer needs to vaccinate all the bird themselves. There are three vaccination prescribed – first two are given in the eyes of the chick and last vaccination is mixed in the water. The vet must visit twice a week to check on the birds,” shares Mr. Janardhan. Lastly the payment procedure must be on-time and the buying prices plus pick-up time of the batch must be clearly mentioned in the agreement.

In poultry contract farming module the chicken processing company provides 12-24 hr chick, feed and vaccination while the chicken farmer needs to develop the poultry shed and has over-all responsibility for the growth of the chick into mature birds. The poultry shed must be a sturdy structure that keeps the birds safe from the outside atmosphere according to Mr. Janardhan. “I am not in favor of fully automatic poultry shed specially the water system through nozzles and feeding bins. It increases the cost and has its’ own maintenance challenges for the farmer that reduces his earnings. My poultry shed is well-built structure with proper shade system for rains, foggers for controlling heat during summers and lights for winters and incubation period. Rest the floor is well padded with best quality rice husk. Water and feeding is done through old system. We change the drinking water for the birds thrice in a day. The size of water and feed containers are maintained in three sizes as per the age of the birds for its’ convenience,” he asserts.

Best hygiene conditions and norms is the key to success in boiler poultry farming as it leads to zero mortality. “Before bringing in the new batch of the chick the shade must be cleaned and disinfected meticulously. Anyone entering the shed should sanitize themselves properly to avoid any bacteria/virus entering the shed. We are very stringent about hygiene specific rules and regulations in our farm,” he claims.

Stating poultry farming as lucrative venture Mr. Darade concludes, “After completing my graduation I worked in Mumbai for few months but quit it soon to be a chicken farmer. With poultry business I am slowly becoming a company owner myself as the income generated is re-invested different agriculture sectors and I am able to provide employment to many other people in and around my village. Farming is 100% profitable if done with sincerity and applying the traditional knowledge smartly.”

Contact details:
Akshay Poultry Farm
At Nalwadi, Post Chass, Taluk Sinner, District Nasik, Maharashtra – 422604
Email: janardhandarade@gmail.com

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)