Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Lemon grass and citronella

Register

Click Here!

ramki695

Recently I saw an article in which it was mentioned seperately about Lemon grass and Citronella.

I would request someone to tell me the difference. I have Citronella grass at home and I have been given to know that Lemon Grass oil is extracted from Citronella Grass (this is getting confusing).

When I say citronella oil I mean (Pul thailam - Tamil/Malayalam). Need some help on this.

Ashwini

Hi

Lemon grass oil is extracted from lemon grass n not citronella. Citronella oil is one of the essential oils obtained from the leaves and stems of different species of Cymbopogon. The oil is used extensively as a source of perfumery chemicals such as citronellal, citronellol and geraniol. These chemicals find extensive use in soap, perfumery, cosmetic and flavouring industries throughout the world.

Citronella Grass (Cymbopogon nardus and Cymbopogon winterianus) is similar to the lemon grass species but grows to 2 m and has red base stems. These species are used for the production of citronella oil, which is used in soaps, as an insect repellent in insect sprays and candles, and also in aromatherapy, which is famous in Bintan Island, Indonesia. The principal chemical constituents of citronella, geraniol and citronellol, are antiseptics, hence their use in household disinfectants and soaps. Besides oil production, citronella grass is also used for culinary purposes, in tea and as a flavoring.

Lemon Grass Oil, used as a pesticide and preservative, is put on the ancient palm-leaf manuscripts found in India as a preservative. It is used at the Oriental Research Institute Mysore, the French Institute of Pondicherry, the Association for the Preservation of the Saint Thomas Christian Heritage in Kerala and many other manuscript collections in India. The lemon grass oil also injects natural fluidity into the brittle palm leaves and the hydrophobic nature of the oil keeps the manuscripts dry so that the text is not lost to decay due to humidity.

Regards
Ashwini

joshykonattu

Lemongrass

I cultvate lemon grass for 30 years . This has two types in malayalam

1. Cinterala,
2. Theruva.

both smells differently. according to the geographical conditions and soil both gives different outputs.

both can be used for different purposes. type 1 is costier compare to type 2.

Regards,

joshy

vbgr

I cultvate lemon grass for 30 years . This has two types in malayalam

1. Cinterala,
2. Theruva.

both smells differently. according to the geographical conditions and soil both gives different outputs.

both can be used for different purposes. type 1 is costier compare to type 2.

Regards,

joshy
Dear Sir/Madam,

Please any one can help me in cultivation of citrunella or leamon grass at/ around Anantapur or KADAPAh districts in Andhrapradesh. Which is the best way to cultivate and production of oil also. I required the budget details for the investiment and marketing of both crops. If any Govt. subsideries available pl. let me know.

Your valuble suggestion will be grace to mankind.

Thanks in advance

VBGR

dxndxb

in Malayalam

Hi,
Just now i read that, CITRONELLA Plants if kept indoor at the corners of the
room, plants will produce AROMA,which is a natural repellant to MOSQUITO.
Also on my search i saw the transalation as "injipullu". So does that mean injipullu is the raw material for "pullthilam" in malayalam transalation.

Experts please comment on this, will be interested to grow at home, please help me to find the right picking of the plant and name, know locally in kerala.

Thank you,

dixon