Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Intercropping in Banana

Register

Click Here!

phaedrus_72

I request experienced farmers to help with this question:

What are the best crops, for intercropping with banana, and the benefits thereof (economic and/or agronomic)?

kirti s

Dear crop

generally there is no such crop to be planted as a intercrop in banana. but u can try pineapple.

anil1956

Considering technical parameters banana should not have any intercrop. However you can try vegetables like raddish, french beans, carrot, beet root for the first three months that too not near the pits or inside the pits.
It is better to fully concentrate on banana as there are more than a dozen bacterial and fungal diseases, about 16 or 20 viruses, about 100 + insect pests and a few nematodes to concentrate upon and any failure to control vectors leads to infestation from virus and total loss of highly valuable crop,

There is lot of knowledge based work to be done from fertilizer angle, micro nutrient angle, pathology and entomological angle. Better to concentrate on that.

with best wishes

anil patil
anil1956@hotmail.com

I request experienced farmers to help with this question:

What are the best crops, for intercropping with banana, and the benefits thereof (economic and/or agronomic)?

phaedrus_72

Then why...

Firstly I agree with Mr.Anil Patil about the problems that already exist and need to be solved.

But this begs the question as to why or "how" many so-called well meaning government and allied websites recommend various crops?

Some say Marigold and coriander for reducing nematode problems.
Some suggest Cowpea for added income and nitrogen fixing.

I mean, there must optimum be A way, which is the best possible approach for optimum yields in any crop,after taking into account the various factors.

Different soils,climatic conditions,may yield to different recommendations.That is understandable.

But, why or how, can there be fundamental differences regarding the cultivation aspects?

I shall be much obliged if knowledgeable people can shed light on this confusion.

Thanks and Regards.

kirti s

Dear Sir

marigold must have been recommended as marigold is a natural threatener to nematode attack which thrive in humid areas.

anil1956

Dear Friend,
I am responding to your reply because I find it is very matured. Many people posting on this forum seek opinion just like that and are not having background of catching what is said.

My statements are for general consumption and are perfect. Now if somebody recommends marigold, cow pea or any other legume. There is a purpose. You can grow cow pea and marigold in pits of banana permit it to consume the fertilizer and soon plow it back into soil for benefits and not to harvest produce.

It is possible to harvest also but then you require more knowledge and its application like fertigation, insect and disease management. Because you may provide a host near by for insect, diseases to stay multiply and spread. Since in India farms are not supported by qualified agri technocrats and growers do not yet appreciate their role in profitability, farms are small , having low capital base, are not under professional management the general recommendation of not to grow inter crop is made.

Regarding the FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCES, it is there because the reply are small or half, there is no explanatory note like I have given above. In a free service environment like this no one will or can give a thesis and elaborate explanation but a general recommendation unless it is a teaching class room.
Further as you have rightly noted we handling a biological field and 2+2 may not be four always or many times.

In biological sciences the accepted accuracy levels are low hence the difference.

So the final answer is one has to seek a specific and personal advise if he is a serious player in the farming field.

Thank you for a good discussion and poser.

anil patil
anil1956@hotmail.com

Firstly I agree with Mr.Anil Patil about the problems that already exist and need to be solved.

But this begs the question as to why or "how" many so-called well meaning government and allied websites recommend various crops?

Some say Marigold and coriander for reducing nematode problems.
Some suggest Cowpea for added income and nitrogen fixing.

I mean, there must optimum be A way, which is the best possible approach for optimum yields in any crop,after taking into account the various factors.

Different soils,climatic conditions,may yield to different recommendations.That is understandable.

But, why or how, can there be fundamental differences regarding the cultivation aspects?

I shall be much obliged if knowledgeable people can shed light on this confusion.

Thanks and Regards.