Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Inter crop in coconut farm

Register

Click Here!

sivanataraj

i would like to know which are the best inter crop in coconut farm....can i go for the timber wood trees....i need a suggestion. [ coconut trees are 2 years old].

aromedindia

Intercropping in coconut

Dear
Try patcouli (Essential oil crop),sarpgandha (Rauvolfia serpentina), yellow satawari(Asparagus racemosus)(Medicinal plant) and Puja Basil/ sacared basil(Ocimum sanctum) (For dry leaves and oil) on small ara (100-200plants). See growth and yield in first year and decide.
Thanks
aromedindia@gmail.com

shanmuga06

Intercrop cultivation

Dear sir,

Kindly think about NUTMEG as intercrop cultivation in coconut gardens.

For more details please contact us:

A Sivakumar
Priya Nursery Garden
KARAIKUDI-630001
priyagar06@yahoo.co.in

kirti s

Dear Sir

Yes nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, all spice, black pepper are some of the spice cops best suited for coconut intercropping.

cofee, cocoa can also be grown.

fruit crops such as pineapple banana can also be taken as intercrop.
lemon grass, patchauli can also be good option.
but dont think for timber trees.

all these will depend on the spacing of coconut u have followed.

kskarnic

hello, Choices are plenty.you can choose the crop depending on the availability of water for irrigation, market for the produce, management capabilities. As suggested by mr. kirti you can take up some spice crops as intercrop in your coconut garden. In addition you can also take yam cultivation which is easy to manage and returns are quite attractive. it is storable forsome time after harvest as well.

shanmuga06

Intercrop cultivation coconut garden

Dear sir,

The pachouli is good herb for intercrop cultivation.But practicaly the farmers are faced much difficulties during harvest the leaves with tender shoots.that also not a major problem.After vharvesting the pachouli this can be dried in shade and stored in a place.Thats a major problem for farmers,because one Kg dried pachouli required one cement bag for storing.If you harvest 2000 kgs of pachouli the farmers need a store room/hall.All of the members know the farmers home/hut.this type of problems are to be faced by farmers,

A Sivakumar

aromedindia

Patchouli cropping

Storage of patchouli
If farmers can store wheat straw (bhusa) costing Rs.1-Rs.2/kg,he can store patchouli dry herb costing Rs.25-Rs.30/kg. Drying is some time problem, particularly in NE regions where humidity remains high for most part of year. Dried herb can also be stored in rooms and can be packed at the time od delivery in big gunny bags which are easily available.
Thanks
aromedindia@gmail.com

anil1956

Dear Friends,
Following are the points I would like place before you,

1. At present do not go in for patchouli cultivation as imported cheap patchouli oil is available and prices of leaves dry is at Rs 20/- a kilo all buyers have ran away and some are encashing the opportunity and farmer is left high and dry.This condition keeps happening again and again. Patchouli is a costly crop to start with because of high cost of rooted cuttings.
2. Spices can not be cultivated unless weather is suitable.Quality will suffer.
3. coconut is a shallow feeder any under growth as intercrop competes for nutrition and so well planned management is required.
4. decide the crop only after consulting proper advisers.

anil patil

i would like to know which are the best inter crop in coconut farm....can i go for the timber wood trees....i need a suggestion. [ coconut trees are 2 years old].