Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Cultivation of "Bird's Eye Chilli"/"Kanthari Mulaku"/ "Capsicum frutescences"

Register

Click Here!

itachi

Hi Folks,
I am a planter from Kerala and lately I have been hearing about the increasing demand for Bird's Eye Chilli due to its ability to control cholesterol. I was hoping to get detailed knowledge regarding its cultivation and market value. I need help in clarifying the following questions below :-

1. Can it be used as an inter crop; Mainly with Rubber, Coffee, Pepper?
2. What is the distance at which each plant should be planted?
3. Growth Cycle.
4. Harvest time.
5. Type of harvest - Should we be picking the ripe ones of the green chillies.
6. Which of the types have more demand - unripe or the ripe ones.
7. How is it processed. i.e. if the green ones are picked , - how is it processed by the farmer,
method of drying and storage. The same questions applies for the ripe ones as well.
8. What is the current market value for a kilo of green and red chilli.
9. Are there any major buyers for such a crop? If so examples of a few.
10. Any know cultivators in Kerala, mainly in Kottayam and Idukki.
11. Any helpful videos, documentation, research papers on this crop ?

I may have gone overboard in asking the questions. But if anyone has the answer, please do reply.

divakarank

You can go in for hi-tech farming wherein 4,000 Sft land can generate 1 acre equivalent of produce. The cost will be around 12 lac which is eligible for subsidy 50% and at subsided interest. A margin of Rs.2.5 lac is required to be invested by the Entrepreneur. Women entrepreneur more benefits. You should have a passion for agriculture. If yes call me: 9566057273.

akilexports

Dear Sir, i need Bird Eye Chilli fresh, for more details Contact 98433 19923, 8838892299

Hi Folks,
I am a planter from Kerala and lately I have been hearing about the increasing demand for Bird's Eye Chilli due to its ability to control cholesterol. I was hoping to get detailed knowledge regarding its cultivation and market value. I need help in clarifying the following questions below :-

3. Growth Cycle.
4. Harvest time.
7. How is it processed. i.e. if the green ones are picked , - how is it processed by the farmer,
method of drying and storage. The same questions applies for the ripe ones as well.

I may have gone overboard in asking the questions. But if anyone has the answer, please do reply.
ils

maitys

Hi Folks,

3. Growth Cycle.
4. Harvest time.

There are about 30 plus varieties of chilies commercially cultivated in India .
Bird’s eye chilli is also called by many other synonyms like Dhani lonka , Kanthari mulaku , African pepper, chili pepper, goat’s pod, Mexican chili, red pepper, Tabasco pepper, Zanibar pepper and Cayenne pepper etc.

Mizoram grown Bird’s eye chilli got its own geographical identification (GI) certificate in 2014

Small sized 1-2 cms mature pods are blood red and highly pungent mostly grown in Mizoram , Manipur and some parts of Assam and Meghalaya .
Bird’s eye chilli is commercially cultivated in Northeast .
Capsaicine – 0.589%
ASTA colour value-41.7

Most of bird’s eye chillies are processed to extract the oleoresin for food and pharmaceutical industries. High content of Capsaicin is very effective in controlling cholesterol levels .

Also used in the culinary purpose as an ingredient for the preparation of curry powder, pickle, curry paste and hot sauces etc.

Crop management :

Soil : sandy loam to loam and loam-clay to clay, rich in humus, acidic (4.5- 6.5 pH), and medium in phosphorus and potash content.
Heirloom mother seed price : 6-7 K
Seedling : March –April
Transplanting : June-July
Harvesting : after 6 month of transplanting
Fruit yield / plant : 300-500 gms
Fresh chilli yield : 2-3 MT / acre
Bird’s eye chilli is perennial plant lives for 6 to 7 years. However after 3 to 4 years production may drop.

Other relative of Bird’s eye chilli is Kanthari mulaku
Kanthari mulaku is mostly grown in Kerala & some parts of Tamil Nadu as home garden crop .
Chilli pods are small, tapering capsules, often 2-3 cms .The fruits of most varieties are ivory white, dark green, pale green or purple getting red on ripening. They are with distinguishable flavor, Fruits and leaves of the plants are edible.
Capsaicine – 0.504%
ASTA colour value- 2.96

greenlandfns

Hi Folks,

3. Growth Cycle.
4. Harvest time.

It is strange that you being a planter and living in Kerala is having so much questions about Bird's Eye Chilli (Kanthaari Mulaku) as it is being grown in backyards of almost all houses in Kerala for many centuries and still there in almost all houses as it is part of common diet of ordinary people of Kerala, especially Tapioca (Kappa) and Kanthaari is a favourite dish in Kerala. Yes, it has some new demands including for food supplements to reduce fat/cholesterol and also as ingredient in organic pesticides. Now the market price in Kerala for fresh Kanthaari is around Rs. 400-500/Kg. It will have difficulty in growing well in extreme shades of Rubber, Coffee etc. You may mail us for further details if you want to grow it in a commercial scale in Kerala. You can see details of our services and activities in our diverse posts in this site: Well-Known Member: greenlandfns. Please mail with your contact details and land details to E: greenlandfns@gmail.com

greenlandfns

Dear Sir, i need Bird Eye Chilli fresh, for more details Contact 98433 19923, 8838892299

ils
Which variety you want? Green, White, Purple, Red? How much quantity required? Regular or one time order? Your target price? The current price in Kerala is around Rs. 450-500/kg for fresh. If requirement is regular, we can cultivate any quantity on Buying Assurance basis.
Please mail details to E: greenlandfns@gmail.com