Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

coconut plantations

Register

Click Here!

kkvara

Dear sir

i am prasad from bellary, i am planing to go for coconut platation in my 7 acers of land avg temp is 35 c

1.Land has good water facility ( 7 months river water , 5 months bore water lighty salt water).

i want your help in suggestion which plants i need to take

kirti s

hello Sir
Along with coconut try for intercropping Green Manure and Cover Crops.
This will help to increase the organic matter content of the soil and also will prevent soil erosion in coconut gardens.
eg: Crotalaria juncea (Sunnhemp), Tephrosia purpurea, Gliricidia maculata, Calapagonium muconoides, Mimosa invisa
Sow the green manure / cover crops during April-May with the onset of pre-monsoon showers. The green manure crops should be ploughed in and incorporated in the soil during August-September.

or do Mixed / Inter / Multi-species Cropping System in Coconut Garden.
A variety of intercrops like pineapple, banana, elephant-foot yam, groundnut, chillies, sweet potato, tapioca and different vegetables can be raised in coconut garden. In older plantation cocoa, cinnamon, pepper, clove, nutmeg etc. can be grown as mixed crops.However, these inter/mixed crops are to be adequately and separately manured in addition to the manures applied to the coconut palm.

or do Mixed Farming
Fodder grasses such as Hybrid Napier or Guinea grass along with leguminous fodder crops such as Stylosanthes has been found to be profitable.