Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Chaudhary Farms - Integrated farm engaged in dairy, horticulture and agro forestry

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Integrated farm engaged in dairy, horticulture and agro forestry

‘I and my husband are earning more in agriculture than we could have earned in corporate! Farming needs intelligence, good know-how, and lot of professionalism to carry complex operations,” are the words of Ms. Nikki Chaudhary. She runs and manages Chaudhary Farms along with her husband Mr. Gaurav Chaudhary, Economics post graduate from Delhi School of Economics in 2006. He served as an economic analyst with WNS Global Services briefly and finally quit his high profile job for farming. “During school days itself I had decided that after completing my higher studies I will come back to my village and get involved in farming, modernize agriculture and improve attitude and perception of people towards this very important sector of our economy,” he shares.
Nikki Chudhary 1.jpg
Ms. Nikki Chaudhary & Mr. Gaurav Chaudhary

Chaudhary Farms is located at Tandavijaisi village, Philibhit district, Uttar Pradesh. The ancestral farm saw many changes after the year 2008 as the new generation joined the operations. Horticulture was expanded to agro forestry and later to dairy. Spread in 75 acres the farm has integrated horticulture, agro forestry and dairy very well. The farmland has rich cultivation of paddy, wheat, sugarcane, peas, poplar and teak trees.

Speaking about the dairy, Ms. Nikki says, “Initially, we started with HF cows. However, since last year I have taken an initiative to promote our indigenous breed precisely Gir and Jaffrabadi cows. These are very good breeds but unfortunately not much developed in India. Consequently their number reduced drastically putting it on the edge of being extinct. Therefore I have taken the initiative to promote these breeds.” On commercial aspect presently the farm has 60 HF cross breeds. There are no bulls at the farm. Breeding is done through artificial insemination.
Nikki Choudhary 3.jpg
On an average there are 20 milking cows always that collectively yield 350litres/day. Milking is done twice at the milk parlour for 6 cows at a time. Post milking the milk is stored in bulk milk cooler. When asked about milk sales, Mr. Gaurav replies, “At cooperative level in Uttar Pradesh milk is sold at Rs. 20/liter. In order to reach the end consumer we opened the milk outlet at Philibhit city. At the outlet in retail the milk is sold at Rs. 40/liter.” Milk is packed manually in 500ml pack. “If at our retail outlet the sales are promising then we might collect milk from other farmers at a higher rate than the cooperative prices. Also we would automate the milk packing process too.”

Cattle fodder is grown in-house. The fodder given is mix of ryegrass, maize and sugar graze. The feed varies all round the year, “In winter, we feed ryegrass and sugar graze. During summer and rainy season we prepare maize silage,” Ms. Nikki says. Ryegrass is nutrient rich fodder. It is harvested 7-8 times from the same seeds sown once. It is economical and very nutritious. It is suitable for the temperature in winter season. It also improves the quality and quantity of milk. Cow dung is collected and processed to make manure for the horticulture fields.

The cow shed is being designed in scientific way where the cattle are provided with comfortable open space. Cows are never tied instead allowed to roam around freely. “The shed has sand soaring floor so that cows can sit and relax,” she adds.

Ms. Nikki is also quite actively involved in managing and promoting agro forestry. She opines, “Growing forest trees is mandatory for every farmer because agro forestry can improve lives of farmers with its’ higher returns, provides security against crop failures due to extreme weather and climatic conditions, reduces regular engagement and attendance on high input intensive culture of other crops and provides financial stability to farmers.”

She says, “The agro forestry trees depend on the place the farm is located. For example, ours is a terrain belt that makes it ideal for growing poplar trees. These are planted on the farm boundary. It is mandatory to prune the tree every year. These are harvested in 6 years and give good monetary returns. Poplar can be grown anywhere and easy to maintain. Then, I feel teak is suitable for established farmers because the gestation period is as long as 25 years.” Chaudhary Farm also has mango orchard. It is beneficial for intercropping.

Stating future plans Chaudhary couple concludes, “We will continue to innovate and expand our agricultural activities. Both of us are thoroughly enjoying our work and it gives us immense satisfaction that with our intelligence, good education background we are actually transforming our village. We extend guidance to farmers on right practices of farming. Youth must not stay away from agriculture as they have the enormous power to transform rural India.”

Contact Details:
Chaudhary Farms
Farm: Tandavijaisi Village, Philibhit District, Uttar Pradesh
Correspondence: Chaudhary Agro Traders, Civil Lines South, Sungarhi, Philibhit - 262001 (Uttar Pradesh)
Phone: 09758514942
Email: chaudharyfarms@gmail.com

Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)