Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Best Coconut Sapling for Starter

Register

Click Here!

bluecarbo

Hi,
I m planning to plant 200 coconut saplings and I am looking for experts advises on which is the safest variety to get started around Theni District Tamil Nadu.

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:

maitys

Hi,
I m planning to plant 200 coconut saplings and I am looking for experts advises on which is the safest variety to get started around Theni District Tamil Nadu.

Thank you,
Coconut is a heavy consumer of soil nutrients particularly nitrogen, potassium and chlorine . It is, therefore, essential to identify the land either having own mineral compositions in the sub soil or needs adequate supply of fertilizers externally for sustaining the productivity of the crop.
3 Malayan cross varieties are available in South India
Kerasree hybrid : ( West Coast Tall x Malayan Yellow Dwarf) for cultivation in Kerala state.
‘Veppankulam Hybrid Combination – 1’ (VHC-1) : East Coast Tall x Malayan Green Dwarf for general cultivation in Tamil Nadu.
Veppankulam Hybrid Combination – 2’ (VHC-2) : East Coast Tall x Malayan Yellow Dwarf for general cultivation in Tamil Nadu.
Actual results may differ ….due to poor crop management or poor quality mother plant .
Whatever variety you are choosing make sure the variety is resistant to root (wilt) disease and drought or you are well prepared to tackle the deadly disease and drought .

bluecarbo

Thank you for your prompt reply!!
I m looking for a variety that will take less time for bearing and can be used for tender and nut.
I also prefer Green and Dwarf Variety over taller one. Please let me know if VHC-1 suits all the above characteristics?
Please let me know if you prefer yellow or green for newbie like me?
Also I have been trying to find a good supplier of saplings and haven't found one selling VHC. Please let me know if you are aware of good nurseries.

Thank you,

maitys

Thank you for your prompt reply!!
I m looking for a variety that will take less time for bearing and can be used for tender and nut.
I also prefer Green and Dwarf Variety over taller one. Please let me know if VHC-1 suits all the above characteristics?
Please let me know if you prefer yellow or green for newbie like me?
Also I have been trying to find a good supplier of saplings and haven't found one selling VHC. Please let me know if you are aware of good nurseries.

Thank you,
Being a newbie it better to go for local tall variety, minimum crop management, less expensive .
For dwaft and hybrid variety , it’s round the clock close monitoring and lots of Do and Don’t’s to follow and expensive .
Quality pureline or hybrid variety planting materials are booked 1 yr in advance by the Research Stations .Most of the research stations seedling are either booked by local nursery owners or farmers . Wait till next next year or be ready to pay 3-6 times more than the actual price.

ecojobsin

We can supply best quality, coconut saplings - all traditonal and hybrid varieties (@ 30 varieties) including traditional kerala green & yellow dwarf, and philippine and malaysian and srilankan dwarfs, T×D varieties, WCT, LT, CGD, CYD etc and can provide best cultivation advises - from our nurseries in Kerala. Selection of variety can be based on your farm location as different varieties suitable for different climatic and soil conditions. Contact us by specifying your farm location (village, taluk, district, state, country) and total number of saplings you want (or specify total area you want to plant to decide numbers).

rmashetty

Hello Members, I need similar help. I am based in Hyderabad and have a small farm near by. Looking for 100 samplings of Coconut. Any recommendation on - WHich variety to plant - Prefer to use it for ender and nut Thank you, RK

bluecarbo

We can supply best quality, coconut saplings - all traditonal and hybrid varieties (@ 30 varieties) including traditional kerala green & yellow dwarf, and philippine and malaysian and srilankan dwarfs, T×D varieties, WCT, LT, CGD, CYD etc and can provide best cultivation advises - from our nurseries in Kerala. Selection of variety can be based on your farm location as different varieties suitable for different climatic and soil conditions. Contact us by specifying your farm location (village, taluk, district, state, country) and total number of saplings you want (or specify total area you want to plant to decide numbers).
I am from Village - Cumbum, Taluk- Uthamapalayam, District - Theni, State - Tamil Nadu, Country - India. Please provide your contact detail to discuss further in detail.