Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Bajra as cattle feed as a replacement for cattle feed ?

Register

Click Here!

navinhona

I want to know if anyone here has used Bajra as a replacement for cattle feed.
How do you use it? what do you mix it with.
For my current cows, we use cattle feed from the market, mixed with maize. But I am not satisfied with using external market based feeds.
Wanted to develop my own feed using Bajra.
Also where do you buy it from? Please advice

garao56

Dear sir Navinhona, I mean you are using pure Bajra crop or Hybrid Napier grass developed from Bajra . Let us see the facts about hybrid napier grass which is best for feeding dairy cattle.

Hybrid Napier - Cumbu Napier Ottupull / Bajra Napier Hybrid:

This is a perennial grass fodder.

It possesses more tillers and leaves than Napier grass and is more vigorous and higher in fodder yield and quality.

Crude protein ranges from 8 to 11%.

Co.CN4 is a recent hybrid Napier grass released by TNAU, Coimbatore, which is a cross between Cumbu Co.8 and Napier grass F.T.461. Yield range is 380-400 tons/ha. It produces more tillers with soft and juicy stem, free from pest and diseases and non-lodging. It can be cultivated throughout the year under irrigated conditions.

KKM-1 Cumbu Napier: This is a hybrid grass that gives average green fodder yield of 288 tonnes per ha per year. The quality is good with high calcium, magnesium and phosphorus and very low oxalate content.

Pusa Giant, NB 21, NB 37, IGFRI 5, IGFRI 7 and IGFRI 10 (developed from Indian Grassland Research Institute, Jhansi) are superior hybrids developed in India.

Co1, Co2 and Co3 are also superior varieties released from Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. These varieties are suitable for growing throughout the year in all districts of Tamil Nadu.

40,000 slips are required to plant one hectare.

First harvest is to be done on 75 to 80 days after planting and subsequent harvests at intervals of 45 days.

HN grass can be intercropped with Desmanthus at 3:1 ratio and can be harvested together and fed to the animals.

All the best

Last edited by a moderator:

gunda

Bajra is used as human staple food. Kadaba of bajra is the cattle feed. It is in use by us since generations

ramyamutsuddi

Bajra cooked is a good food especially for milking animals. It is available in Andhra if you want you can contact me
THANK YOU - for your invitation. What is your contact no.? We want to know more about your products and highly interested for purchase.

ramyamutsuddi

THANK YOU - for your invitation. What is your contact no.? We want to know more about your products"BAJRA"(cooked) and highly interested for purchase. Kindly Reply.

garao56

Generally veterinarians will not recommend cooked foods to the milch animals as their rumen is adopted to digest only roughages like grasses, dry grasses, silage, concentrates like rice brane, gingelly cake, coconut cake etc . Don't feed cooked foods as the animals digestive system will be affected .