Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Arunodaya Home Industry - Varieties of jackfruit based value added products

Register

Click Here!

editorialteam

Farmer cum cook turns into an entrepreneur with jack fruit processing at Udupi, Karnataka

Mr. Vasant Nayak started his enterprise Arunodaya Home Industry without any guidance or training. “We were on self-learning journey at every step. Initially no investments were made and all the operations were manual. We have 2-3acres drying yard in which we have still retained the grinding stone as a memorial of good olden days. The hard work and commitment orientation towards the work paid off well! Taking baby steps I have expanded the operation with new projects with the investment of Rs. 35 lakh and Rs. 54 lakh on second project. The third project is in the process of establishment with Rs. 25 lakh investment,” he informs.
jackfurit.jpg

“I could not sell my farm produce at profitable price. Thereby to compromise with the situation briefly I started to work as cook. However my heart and soul was in my farm therefore receiving the opportunity of jackfruit processing I immediately took it up without any second thought,” he shares. Arunodaya Home Industry located at Byrampalli village, Udupi district, Karnataka produces varied varieties of jackfruit based value added products such as raw jackfruit papad, ripened jackfruit papad, mamla (sweet papad) and chips etc.

In value addition venture the investment predominantly is in machinery installation. “It was step by step investment based on our production expansion. We started in the first project with grinder and generator; Second was pakoda machine and third is dryer, steam exchanger and boiler. Subsidy of Rs. 13.4lakhs for first two projects was received by Mr. Nayak.
Jackfruit Papads.jpg

Farm of Mr. Nayak spreads in 14 acres. He has rich cultivation of 2acres areca nut trees, 200 coconut trees, 1800 natural rubber trees (7-7.5acres), 0.75-1acre banana plantation and vegetables. “Most of the produce like banana and vegetables is consumed in house by family and staff. The ironic part of my farm is that inspite of having many jackfruit trees we are not able to harvest jackfruit because of monkey menace. Instead we buy jackfruit from market,” he shares.

Jackfruit is sourced from May till July end. “We have an advantage of buying jackfruit in May as we do not have any competitor. Jackfruit processing has been neglected for many years and the fruits get wasted in huge quantities. It is sad but that is the reality on food waste in our country,” he asserts.

600-700 jackfruits per day are required for processing. “I have a tie up with 48 suppliers across South Canara in Kundapur, Amachibail, Hebri,Goliangadi, Peduru, Bajagoli, Maala, Karkala etc. They supply 150, 200, 300 fruits at same time. We place pre-orders following the production schedule. Only after the order is placed harvesting is done in order to have best possible quality jackfruits,” he informs. Big size jackfruits are purchased for Rs. 40 and medium sized fruit at Rs. 25-30. Entire stock is used the same day most of the time however sometimes it has to be stored then it is processed accordingly either raw or ripe. Jackfruit can be stored for 3 days at most else it becomes over-ripened.

Jackfruit processing unit produces 15-20,000 papads/day approximately. After the jackfruit season is over then urad dal papads are made with different flavours such as spinach, mint and Brahmi. Later to it, potato papad are made. “Processing unit is never on stand still! We keep production rolling 365 days,” he asserts.

The jackfruit waste is turned into manure. “I put all these into manure pit. It will constitute 50 lorry loads per year. We use the manure for the rubber farm. In summer, if we dry it, it will turn into firewood,” he says.

Entire produce is sold at Udupi stores and Mangalore stores located in different Indian states. On an average 15-20,000 papads/day are dispatched for sales delivery to different stores. Every day produce is sold the same day. The shelf life of all the products is 6-8 months in air tight container.

Speaking about the price of these products, he says, “Price is decided on jackfruit buying cost, labourer, electricity, firewood costs etc. We keep a nominal price which should be economical to the buyers.”

“Initially value addition might look as investment intensive venture but it has all the potential to change the life of the farmer for good. Once stepped in this business doors open on its’ own but perseverance to continue should always exists irrespective of ups and downs. It is worth an attempt,” signs off Mr. Nayak.

Contact Details:
Arunodaya Home Industry
Vadje House, Birampally Village, Harikandige PO, Udupi Taluk, Udupi District – 576 124
Phone: 9481179084, 9945336603