Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Question Exporting Ashwagandha root

Register

Click Here!

rkatakam

Hi All,

Good morning. Hope all is well.

I am from cultivating medicinal plant ashwagandha in my own 15 acres of land.

And I am interested in exporting by myself.

Could you pls guide me on what I need to do to export as a farmer directly to foreign customers/buyers.

Your inputs are very well appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

danyaexpo

Hi All,

Good morning. Hope all is well.

I am from cultivating medicinal plant ashwagandha in my own 15 acres of land.

And I am interested in exporting by myself.

Could you pls guide me on what I need to do to export as a farmer directly to foreign customers/buyers.

Your inputs are very well appreciated.

Thanks,
I am merchant exporter from Tamil Nadu

intertrade

Needs big infrastructure, accreditations which is a costly affair.

I won't suggest that for one product extraction.

Merchant exporter does not fit in as the foreign buyer needs fully endorsed products and other country's quarantine, customs adhere stringent, predefined quality parameters.

garao56

Please also contact the APEDA for any scope for exporting Aswangandha medicinal herb. We are to inform you that the western countries will prefer the organically produced herbal products , please try to convert your land into organically certified land in the coming years

rkatakam

Needs big infrastructure, accreditations which is a costly affair.

I won't suggest that for one product extraction.

Merchant exporter does not fit in as the foreign buyer needs fully endorsed products and other country's quarantine, customs adhere stringent, predefined quality parameters.
Thank you very much for your response Sir.

And also your valuable advise on the same which making me think through it.

Thanks,

rkatakam

Please also contact the APEDA for any scope for exporting Aswangandha medicinal herb. We are to inform you that the western countries will prefer the organically produced herbal products , please try to convert your land into organically certified land in the coming years
Thank You very much for your response and advise on the same which is making me think though more on it before getting in to.

Thanks and regards,

garao56

Please message me in private message , I will give a contact he is cultivating medicinal plants in organic methods .He is exporting stevia and other medicinal herbs to other countries. . I am the Ex Bank agricultural Officer, visited his farm along with some farmers in 2006.

garao56

. Medicinal properties and use

Ashwagandha is considered to be one of the excellent rejuvenating agents in Ayurveda. Its roots, seeds and leaves are used in Ayurvedic and Unani medicines. Ashwagandha is mentioned as an important drug in ancient Ayurvedic literature

• Several types of alkaloids are found in this plant, out of which `Withanine' and `Somniferine' are important.
  • Leaves contain withanolides, glycosides, glucose, five unidentified alkaloids (0.09%) and many free amino acids.
  • The pharmacological activity of the roots is attributed to the alkaloids. The total alkaloid content in roots of the Indian types has been reported to vary between 0.13 and 0.31 per cent
  • Withaferine-A has been receiving good deal of attention because of its antibiotic and anti tumor activities. It is used for curing carbuncles in the indigenous system of medicine
  • The paste prepared out of its leaves is used for curing inflammation of tubercular glands and that of its roots for curing skin diseases, bronchitis and ulcers
  • In Rajasthan, roots are used mainly for curing rheumatism and dyspepsia; in Punjab they are used to relieve loin pain and in Sind for abortion. In some areas warm leaves are also used for providing comfort during eye diseases. However, roots are mostly used for curing general and sexual weakness in human beings
  • Fruits and seeds are diuretic in nature. Leaves are reported to possess anthelmintic and febrifuge properties. An infusion of leaves is given in fevers.
  • For the treatment of piles, a decoction of the leaves is used both internally and externally. Externally, leaves are used for fomentation in the case of sore eyes, boils and swellings in limbs.
  • As an insecticide, it is useful for killing lice infesting the body. An ointment prepared by boiling the leaves is useful for bed sores and wounds.
  • The fresh leaf juice is also applied for anthrax pustules.