Specialized trading firm for agriculture and horticulture equipment & facilities. Headquartered in Pune, Maharashtra.
Flora Agro was set up in 1994. The company has two partners: Mr. Yeshwant Ghorpade and Mrs. Meeta Ghorpade. The company is a comprehensive specialized trading firm, for agriculture and horticulture equipment and facilities. It is a leading importer and distributor of green house covering film, aluminum and galvanised profiles for film and cooling pads, and other accessories.
“We started this business as importers and resellers of green house film,” says Mr. Ghorpade. The company is headquartered in Pune, Maharashtra.
The greenhouse films have the following properties:
· Anti Drip Products: Due to difference in temperatures, there is condensation inside the green house. This causes small water drops to form and then these drops fall on the plants. This causes damage to leaves and flower petal. To avoid this, a special chemical is used on the inner surface of the film, by which these droplets slide along the film, instead of falling on the plants. These films are known as anti drip films.
· Anti Dust Products: Poly films have a tendency to attract dust particles. Over a longer period of exposure, considerable dust particles accumulate on poly film. It leads to reduction in light transmission. This effect has a negative impact on growth of plants resulting to lower yield and slower growth. Special additives in the film, give the outer layer a mirror finish preventing dust particles from sticking on the film.
Five Layer Poly Films
The company manufactures different combination while manufacturing the film as per the requirement of the client. The five layer poly film has the following properties:
· Different layers with different properties
· Better distribution of thickness
· Equal distribution of light
· Better mechanical properties
· High Tensile strength, which gives more strength to poly film against the pull force created by wind
Agro Shade Nets
Agro shade nets have the following applications:
2. Indoor plants, fruit plants nursery
3. Tea, coffee, cardamom, pepper, spices, vegetables growing
4. Forest nursery growing
5. Cattle shed, fish ponds, poultry farming etc.
6. General purpose shading
7. Soil support
8. Drying of various agro products
9. Wind breaker applications
10. As protection fabric in construction sites
“Roses, strawberries. gooseberries, tomatoes, cucumber and fruit bearing plants can thrive well under 25% shade netting.
For plants that grow under partial light like general pot and foliage plants and cut greens, orchids, anthuriums, ginger, and other flowering pot plants, use of 50% agronets is recommended. For plants that grow under extreme low light like indoor plants, certain orchids, plantation crops, tea, coffee, cardamom, we suggest 75% agro nets,” avers Mr. Ghorpade.
He adds, “It is also useful in summer to reduce the light level of some general purpose crops in certain geographic regions. Agronets are used in shade cultivation of various horticultural crops including flowering plants, foliage plants, fruit and vegetable nurseries, plantation nurseries, forestry nursery, etc.”
Hobby Green House
Explaining the concept of hobby green house, Mr. Ghorpade says, “This is a totally new concept in India. These are small ready to install green houses. These are not for commercial growing of flowers or vegetables. People have different hobbies, and they would like to have a green house of their own, but they may not have big piece of land and may not have enough finance to erect a big green house. So they can have this small hobby green house.”
Further giving the economics of hobby green houses, he says, “They are quite cheap and the prices range from Rs. 1500 to Rs.6000 each. Hobby Green House with polycarbonate sheet and aluminum structure is a little expensive. The regular green houses cost about Rs. 575 to 600 per sq.mtr depending on the location and the material / accessories used.”
Regarding maintenance of the shade nets and green houses, Mr. Ghorpade says, “Ideally green house film should be changed every three years. And also the shade nets should be changed every 3 – 4 years.”
The company does not manufacture or install any greenhouse products. It is predominantly a trading house. “We are only traders of green house accessories,” says Mr. Ghorpade. The company has not yet entered the exports market.
When asked how the company markets its products, Mr. Ghorpade says, “Being in the market for nearly 15 years, we have a good dealer network all through India.” At present there are 8 marketing people looking after the markets in Maharashtra and Gujarat.
They also have dealers in most parts of India. Speaking about the future of greenhouses, he says, “There should be an increase of at least 25% every year for new installations of greenhouses.” In future the company wants to further expand its operations and add more items. Mr. Ghorpade is a commerce graduate, with post graduation in Law.
Source : Agriculture & Industry Survey [/hidepost]