Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Beekeeping

Register

Click Here!

mak_vilayaty

I would like to start bee farming. In this regard i need sugession. Because i am new in this feild. How big area and capital required for this business ?

Ashwini

Hii
In India beekeeping has been mainly forest based. Several natural plant species provide nectar and pollen to honey bees. Thus, the raw material for production of honey is available free from nature. Bee hives neither demand additional land space nor do they compete with agriculture or animal husbandry for any input. The beekeeper needs only to spare a few hours in a week to look after his bee colonies. Beekeeping is therefore ideally suited to him as a part-time occupation. Beekeeping constitutes a resource of sustainable income generation to the rural and tribal farmers.
The raw materials for the beekeeping industry are mainly pollen and nectar that come from flowering plants. Both the natural and cultivated vegetation in India constitute an immense potential for development of beekeeping. About 500 flowering plant species, both wild and cultivated, are useful as major or minor sources of nectar and pollen. There are at least four species of true honey bees and three species of the stingless bees.About 10,000 tons of forest honey are produced annually.
Indian honey has a good export market. With the use of modern collection, storage, beekeeping equipment, honey processing plants and bottling technologies the potential export market can be tapped.

For other details regarding equipments and species you can contact the Tiwana bee farm, Ludhiana.

Regards
Ashwini