Notices
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Papaya Cultivation Makes Waves

1. #11 Seeds 

If the yeild is so high then I don't mind trying this variety of papaya.... Can someone please let me know as to where I can get some seeds of this variety?

2. #12 Papaya seeds 

Hello.. Its available in coimbatore agricultural university

3. #13 This is actual scenario... 

One can plant 444 plants per acre at the spacing of 3mx3m. We can take 44 plants for mortality. So the remaining is 400 plants per acre. It can yield well up to three years. Under average maintenance, on an average one can harvest up 40 kg of fruits. The price fluctuates between 3-8 rs/kg. So the minimum total return will be 400*40*3=48000rs. The maintenance cost will be 15000rs (excluding family labour and management cost). So the net return will be 33000rs/acre. Ofcourse, this is the lower side. One can harvest 60kg per plant and even get 8 rs per kg. But mostly likely one get 50kg per plant and 4 rs per kg. That makes the net returns of 400*50*8-15000= 65000rs/acre. But make sure about the buyers and market.
    One more thing is there is danger of getting ring spot virus which can destroy your whole plot. It can not be easily controlled. Yellow mosaic virus is also severe. So better not go for pappaya if there is incidences of these diseases in the near by areas. But you can take risk as the investment per acre is hardly 25000rs

4. #14 cultivation of papaya and pomegranate 

I am fm Vill: Ko Bobalad, Tehsil: Jat, Dist Sanglil Maharashtra, PIN 416412.

INterested in cultivating Papaya and Pomegranate.

Plse let me know for which type I should go and methodology and marketing strategy.

My contact details:
    Last edited by moderator A; June 11th, 2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: only business members are allowed to post contact info. please click My Account to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by rgiridhar View Post
    Hindu 12-Oct-07

The Taiwan Red-Lady variety of papaya fruit has brought a smile on the faces of several papaya farmers in Chitradurga district. The imported variety of the fruit is making waves in the district owing to its great quality, taste and, of course, profitability. It requires much less maintenance than the regular varieties. One farmer who has adopted this variety and is reaping good profits is M. Srinivas of Challakere taluk. He has cultivated papaya in 20 acres of land with an initial investment of Rs. 25,000 per acre. “The annual expense per acre does not go beyond Rs. 1,000,” he said. The fruit bearing period begins from the 8th or the 9th month of sowing and the farmer can reap the crop for three to five years. “It can even be stored for long time as it does not perish early”, he said. Mr. Srinivas said that the fruit has a good market, mainly in Maharashtra. Many buyers come all the way from Mumbai to purchase the fruit. The fruit is also being exported to Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad and a few West Asian countries also.

Mr. Srinivas sells 20 tonnes of fruit every week with the price per kilo ranging between Rs. 4 and Rs. 9. One acre of plantation can produce over 600 kg of fruits. He said that this year he is expecting about Rs. 50-lakh to Rs. 60-lakh in profit. “The other good thing is that we need not use chemical fertilizers. Manure is better for good yield,” he said. Though the fruit has great returns, seeds are difficult to get. “With the help of my friend, I imported seeds from Taiwan. I purchased 200 grams, paying Rs. 1,850 per 10 grams,” he said. Mr. Srinivas said that, at present, Challakere has six papaya farmers growing this variety, while there are 15 such farmers in the district. “I am sure in the coming days more farmers will join the league,” he says.

This is sunder i have planed to cultivate papaya in 5 acre by organic method . so pls guide me in seed buying , plantation & marketing contact 9840481010 , sriramtimb@gmail.com

Dear

Srinivas has taken a good & daring decision for a different crops like papaya.
    He should use cold storage facility to get higher value. Congratulation to him.
    Please provide his contact no.

Dear

Srinivas has taken a good & daring decision for a different crops like papaya.
    He should use cold storage facility to get higher value. Congratulation to him.
    Please provide his contact no.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12