Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Farming as individual is absolutely not possible.

Register

Do you agree with the title of this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Click Here!

editorialteam

Mr. K Karthik, Founder, Suma Agro says -

2014 is a year of family farming. In India Government policies are needed to support agriculture. Subsidies benefit small farmers.

Suma Agro
New No. 10 Nathamuni Street, T Nagar,
Chennai 600017
Phone +91 44 2815 2898 / +91 98401 45415,
Mob: 96988 27777
Email: info@sumaagro.com
Web: http://www.sumaagro.com/

editorialteam

Mr. Prasanth V, Project Division - In Charge, Sterling Farm Research & Services says -

It is all about passion and craze towards agriculture. There are many individual farmers who take advantage of agriculture. But although as the comment suggested union is always strength. In case of subsidies we can’t fully agree with the view since everyone has fed them with concessions and discounts but anyhow the same has to be removed step by step. Anything given free will not have any value.

Sterling Farm Research & Services Pvt Ltd
Sterling House, Pettah Poonithura.P.O.
Cochin 682038
Mob: 093493 87570
Email: PRASANTHSTERLING@GMAIL.COM, HITECHSTERLING@NEOPEAT.COM
Web: Sterling Group

editorialteam

Mr. Raghupathi Venkatraman, Dairy & Agripreneur, Property Consultant, .Proprietor- Govardhan Giri Property Consultants says-

I will not entirely agree with that theory since I know many individuals who are engaged in cultivation purely as individuals and out of interest. If you are able to involve your family, it is well and good. But when human resource is available, and farm machinery having a major role in farming, I do not expect any immediate change of scenario. Organic farming has yet to catch up and our state govt has recently announced 1 village in 5 districts where organic farming will be the sole method of cultivation. Farmer mind set is yet to come out of chemicals and fertilizers and pesticides. The change will occur only through sustained campaign and govt support. Being owners of small lands, uniting farmers in villages is difficult. Caste, creed, religion all come in to play. This may take another generation or new breed of agripreneurs to venture that possibility.

Changes are incremental, but nonetheless effective. Innovation is intrinsic to agriculture. Ever since humans discovered the technique of multiplying wild seeds into food and other products, an unbreakable relationship between agriculture and creativity was born.

Regarding subsidy, this is the major contentious issue in WTO. I don’t think any govt can withdraw existing subsidy like, free electricity, Minimum Support Price, subsidy for farm equipments. These have to be continued till farmers are in a position to fix and get remunerative price from market without middle men.

Govardhangiri
Plot 5, Door 24,
Vijayalakshmi Nagar
Tirunageswaram
Kumbakonam612204
Mob: 0950 018-1288 / 09444183021
Email: raghupathiv@yahoo.com/ raghupathiv9@gmail.com

editorialteam

Mr. Gopi Krishnappa, CEO, El Shaddai Global says-

I completely agree to this point. This is the main reason, why we would like to buy herbs directly from farmers. There are lot of opportunities and media for farmers to go directly to companies. They no longer need a middleman to sell their goods. Farmers must get the benefits for their hard work. Group farming and organic Farming are the future. Absolutely!!

El Shaddai Global
1/19 A, Bajanai Koil Street, Vengaivasal,
Kanchipuram – 600073
Mob: 9960896688 / 07305860061
Email: krishnappagopi@gmail.com / gopi.krish@hotmail.com
Web: El Shaddai Global

editorialteam

R. Durairaj, CEO and Founder, Mother India Farms says-

Organic farming by individual farmer is indeed possible; but the farmer should have a reasonable land holding to make it sustainable. Group farming with knowledge of organic farming, a high integrity to follow rigorous norms and standards, and an ability to service the market, has a bright future. Farmers can form co-operative societies to add value to their products, which has consumer demand and fetches better realization. The subsidy from the government is welcome, but depending only on the subsidies for this kind of organic farming is not advisable.

Mother India Farms
Gem Wellington
# F1, 5th floor Murugeshpalya,
Old Airport Road Kodihalli,
Bengaluru – 560 017, India.
Ph: +91 80 - 2521 0225, 41228688
Email: info@motherindiafarms.com / durairaj@motherindiafarms.com
Web: Mother India Farms , Organa.in , www.eartherndelight.com

editorialteam

Mr. K Karthik, Founder, Suma Agro says-

2014 is a year of family farming. In India Government policies are needed to support agriculture. Subsidies benefit small farmers.

Suma Agro
New No. 10 Nathamuni Street, T Nagar,
Chennai 600017
Phone +91 44 2815 2898 / +91 98401 45415,
Mob: 96988 27777
Email: info@sumaagro.com
Web: http://www.sumaagro.com/

editorialteam

Dr. Ubaid Khan, Manager, Development & Marketing, Pioneer Aromatics & Agri Solutions says-

In continuation with above discussion, I can say yes for poor farmers, group farming may be good solution. Now the traditional agriculture is not successful these days that’s why farmers leaving this profession with a rapid rate. Today the time has come of completely mechanized farming system for which you need money and this is the reason why educated and rich individuals and professionals are coming to agriculture. So, today agriculture is not need based, it is a business now. If small and marginal scale farmers have to sustain in agricultural business, they can opt group farming so that they can minimize costs by sharing within the group. In group, they also have opportunities to share others’ potential ideas and knowledge. In group they can easily make their own identity in the region which ultimately can help them for achieving potential and profitable market for their products.

Pioneer Aromatics & Agri Solutions
45, Sun City Enclave, Jankipuram Extension, Lucknow – 226 021​
Uttar Pradesh, INDIA
Mob: 9889478275/ 9452268275
Email: sales@pioneeragri.com
Web: PIONEER AROMATICS & AGRI SOLUTIONS

editorialteam

Dr. Venkatesh Devanur, CEO Agri Life says-

Land use policy of the Govt does not permit large scale corporate farming. Law does not make small farmer feel comfortable to lease his lands to cluster farm managing companies. Equipment / Technology are not designed for small farms, Capital inadequacy is limiting factor for small farmers. Subsidy is making only UREA as more used fertilizer Thus - there is no congenial environment for practicing large scale ecological farming.

Agri Life
SOM Phytopharma (India) Limited 154 / A5, SVCIE, IDA Bollaram 502 325
Medak Dist (Hyderabad) AP, INDIA
Mob: 98854 46278 / +91 8458 279905
Email: Dr.Venkatesh@agrilife.in
Web: AgriLife

editorialteam

Dr. Anil, Director (Biodiversity), Community Agro Bio-Diversity Centre says-

Group farming must be promoted, and they should be empowered with new skills and knowledge for production, processing and marketing aspects. We cannot make organic as the only option in larger scale, make it safe to eat production or chemical pesticide free farming, and bio-diverse farming. Integrated and Intensive (knowledge) farming needs more attention. Subsidies that are negative to environment and biodiversity has to be stopped, without taxing but farmers. Positive incentives could be given to those farmers who conserve biodiversity and preserve ecosystem services and at the same time contribute to the national level food production.

Community Agro Bio-Diversity Centre
M S Swaminathan Research Foundation
Community Agrobiodiversity Centre
Puthurvayal P.O; Kalpetta
Wayanad-673 577
Kerala, India
Tel-91-4936-204477; 207019
Mob: 9446537019
Email: anilmaruthur@gmail.com / anil_maruthur2002@yahoo.com
Web: Home » MSSRF CABC

Last edited:

editorialteam

Dr.Santosh Kumar Bakshi, Global Herbitech says-

Any successful production activity is a culmination of a great team work, and so is true for farming. Farmers need to be united, practise latest technologies and be aware of the changing trends in the consumer behaviour. Considering the socio-economic setup we have in India, especially in villages and rural areas, and also monsoons playing an important role in Indian agriculture industry, it would be wrong to say that farmers should stop expecting subsidies from govt and start on their own. Agriculture is our largest industry and it is every government responsibility to come up with farmer friendly policies and develop a framework for sustainability and development. Based on the long experience of our founder, Dr. S. K. Bakshi, in the area of Herbal development in India, Global Herbitech(GH) is interacting with the associated farmers for adopting newer technologies aimed at higher production per unit area and per lit. of water used for irrigation. GH is most willing to extend technical & marketing support to farmers/entrepreneurs who desire to venture into farming of high value low volume crops. Those interested may contact Dr.S.K.Bakshi globalherbitech@gmail.com.

Global Herbitech
230, Govind Nagar, Sector 2, Camp Road, Talab Tillo, Jammu, J&K 180002, India
Phone - 9419131892
Email - globalherbitech@gmail.com
Website - Dr. S.K. Bakshi, Organic Herbal Products,Wholesale Essential Oils,Herbal Tea Suppliers from Jammu & Kashmir

raghu6961

Not a new concept. It’s practiced in all other areas. For example-
If you can afford, you can have your individual bungalow or opt to flat system. Over there also, you have luxury or normal. 3 bhk or two. Area and weather etc.
Its more or less like affordability, choice and necessity. I like individuality. may not like, someone come and dictate me what should i grow and why.
Farmers who have basic education have never failed. Subsidy has to be given, if someone wants food. its very difficult to make more than 7% of profit in farming. bank interest is around 12%,let me say,than 5% has to be given if someone wants food. or else, import food from subsidy amount and try to balance trade deficit.
Try with reserve bank governor. he will tell you, why its not possible
Regards

vijay50

I fully agree that group farming is the best way out. It is possible to have a common gated area , still keeping individual farm plots , to avoid any concerns about partnership business. I have been trying to sell this idea in kerala for quite some time , but did not find many takers.
If you read zero budget farming by Palekar he strongly argues organic farming is as dangerous as conventional chemical farming.

skrai

Mr Anant Joglekar

I would like join on community farm i would share 2 acre of land what will be estimated cost of land and development fund please share

okarythu

I agree with the statement. Group forming is always beneficial with regards to sharing information which in my view is very crucial. Second it also acts as a networking mechanism, say for example if I have to till the soil I can borrow a tractor from someone in the group and in return provide them manure or something of their need. So there are lot of advantages with group farming.

As far as subsidies are concerned, government provides seeds at a subsidised price but most of them are not of good quality and in return the farmer has to pump more chemicals to get a better yield. So if we have to move away from subsidies then we need to get good variety of seeds which will give better yields.