AgricultureInformation.com

View Poll Results: Can the problems of farmers be solved through healthy discussion?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 91.30%
  • No

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems faced by Farmers in India

Default Problems faced by Farmers in India

Every individual in every field face some or the other problems. These must be discussed and collectively some solution should be identified. At this forum we would like the farmers to come up with their problems and suggest some solution too!

Mr. Karsanbhai G Patel from Tripod Farms in Ankleshwar, Gujarat feels storage facilities in India is a major problem for farmers. He says -

"
    Earlier there was a problem for some credit for farmers, now it is easy to some extent. So the credit is not a problem for the farmers but after production there is, because of not having adequate storage facility some perishable vegetables farmers cannot store it for longer times. So the storage facility and the transportation facilities both should be in the modern line. Actually second thing is the price, price of the produce because whenever the farmer product the price now so low so sometimes it is not remunerative business for farmers. Particularly in fruits this thing happens much because if I grow grain crops then I can store for a longer time but for the fruit crops it is not possible for me. So I have to dispose it off in any market at any price or any rate. So marketing is sometimes a problem. So if both problem solves I think farmer have a good day in future.

I am selling through the mandis, through the regulated markets I am selling through the APMC, the agriculture produce market committee in Gujarat. But here in this regular market also there is no say for farmers. Farmers have to stand up there, there is no facility available in the local market for grading and storing. Second thing in the present market also the dalals and wholesalers have their more say than farmers, that is the problem.

Solution: According to me the solution could be - In the regulated market, the local market government should enhance the facility for storage as well as grading at the market levels so that our produce can be go for export also. There should be a platform for farmers to decide his price on that.
    "
    Last edited by editorialteam; October 20th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.

Default Everyone in Indian Agriculture suffers due to storage problems.

One of the major challenges before the food processing industry in India, currently, is the lack of proper infrastructure. Only two percent of agricultural produce is estimated to be preserved for processing in India, currently, due to the lack of storage facilities. While in US, the about seventy percent of agricultural produce is processed at present. According to many industry experts, Indian food processing industry is a sleeping giant and government initiatives will definitely encourage the rapid growth in this sector.

While India has huge potential to become a leader in the global food processing sector, there are a number of challenges both in the forward and backward linkages in the country. New technologies to increase the perishing life of vegetables and fruits, cold storage systems and better packaging machinery are some of the key areas where the industry and government should chart out plans for improvement. Besides, the country should consider benchmarking food quality and safety standards to boost confidence of people on these products.

As told by-
    Mr. T.Srinivasan,
    MD, Jeevika Food Machinery Co

Default Problems faced by Indian farmers-

Where does the problem arise with Indian farmers? Land, irrigation water,availability of quality inputs in time,improved production technology,timely credit, cheap labour availability,risk management-Crop insurance,production of quality output,Post harvest management,Storage and premium price for the end product produced by the farmers.All these factors must be considered and taken into account.The farmers should cultivate in cluster mode and form Participatory Rural Appraisal group consisting of persons having experience in various aspect of cultivation.This group has high negotiation power and guide the member farmers suitably in their crop production activities.

The farmers of Dharmapuri and krishnagiri district in Tamilnadu have become rich in shortest time period how?
    Technology,organized farmers movement- cluster,PRA approach,Bargaining power in the market.

The precision farming technology enhanced the production of vegetables,fruits, sugarcane etc.

The farmer who was getting yield of around 8-12 MT in brinjal is now harvesting about 100 MT per acre.he is producing quality produce with proper post harvest management.
    This is an example .Other crops are also doing wonder there.Those who were poor farmers practicing subsistence farming till yesterday and living in poverty have now become rich farmers.Why they were poor till yesterday ? and how they could become rich now? Same government policy prevails.Why positive change?
    Organised effort of the farmers.Suitably guided by the farmer group leader who in turn gain knowledge from Agricultural Universities,KVK. Market study and logistics. Everything here is planned and organised.
    Where there is problem there also is solution.We much search. nothing will come to us without searching be it either material or knowledge.

Here is an example from Natural scientist- charless Darwin.
    Survival of the fittest, struggle for existence and third one which is also quoted by darwin say, luck prevails yet.

A fruit fell down from the tree and 10 seeds came out of that fruit.
    Out of 10 germinated seedling only 7 came up successful rest died- survival of the fittest.
    Out of 7 germinated seedlings only 3 grew strong and healthy and the remaing 4 were weak- Struggle for existence.
    When all the seeds were placed in a location with same level of nutrients, sunlight, moisture etc , only 3 could be successful-Here operates luck.
    Nowhere is without problem. No one can solve others problems.Even government too cant solve individual farmers problems when the duty of the government is to make positive decision regarding legislation in favour of farming community through out India.

Hard work alone will not bring result to the farmers. Along with hard work right decision in right time, right technology, right crop etc in an organised way definitely will bring visible improvement in the farming community.

In the coming years, science might have made advancement in every other field and industries and made the lives of people sophisticated
    " but certainly not without problem regarding availability of quality food in enough quantity.
    One can earn like anything , donned in rich clothing and live in palace.But this will not keep people happy for ever.Future is years of the Farming community.

Ramu.T
    Chennai

Dear Mr. Ramu T,

Your thoughts are very positive and encouraging!

Regards,
    Shweta

Dear Mr. Ramu T,

Your thoughts are motivatinge and encouraging

Regards,
    Riaaz

Default Problem faced by farmers in India

Thanks Ms.Shweta and Riaaz !

Thanks for your complements. It is not my thought . it is a real fact . What I have here mentioned is a real fact pertaining to hi tech commercial agriculture happening in Dharmapuri and krishnagiri district of tamilnadu.

Also the Darwin theory is a time tested theory and hold good for past, present and future...

Shrewd farmers never fail...

we never learn real worth of ourselves and our potential in indian agriculture business until foreign retail outlets like walmart , eBay etc. land in India and teach
    us by establishing and running successful retail outlets for agriculture produce ,
    Hitherto what we have been thinking about agriculture as a loss making enterprise will turn really into a profit making enterprise ...

Wait and see in another 12-18 months period...

120 crore indian population is a huge market for foreigners who will make profit

So I request all of our Indian farming community to learn to cultivate scientifically so as to cultivate quality produce , get more yield per unit area, produce for market demand , plant high value crops...be prepared to compete with the foreign competitor ... earn more ..live like a king at least hereafter ...

Best opportunity is being presented before you in near future..

In this regard i request the Agricultureinformation.com forum to encourage healthy discussion on scientific cultivation of hi value crop so as to help our own farmers...

Regards,

Ramu

I am growing wheat and rice in my farms so I would like to share my experience with respect to the same crop. Government would fix the rates of all the agriculture produce every year. But unfortunately, till date after being in agriculture for so many years I have never got that fixed rates as decided for my produce any time.

Dalals would buy our produce at their own rates which they would fix on their own and even farmers are cheated at APMC markets. This is the major problem of almost all farmers in India. Hope this is addressed soon...

As told by-
    Jignesh Parmar
    Harsidhi Farms

Business Member

Default Farmer groups

Good day All,

I couldn't agree more with Mr. Ramu. Indeed a collective group of farmers in the smallest of structure can bring about a mammoth change in their profits. There are various ways to reduce costs in terms of manures/ fertilizers applied in the initial stage alongwith an increase in their produce. Learning to know how is important. There are various NGOs and other government organisations who deliver lectures in rural areas in the same regard.

I also agree that storage of the produce needs to be improved. The farmer groups can dutch in some money to build a common storage space with segregations within for individual/collective use. That way an initial cost would make way for future gains.

Default Farmers problem in India

Quote Originally Posted by sid_nat View Post
    Good day All,

I couldn't agree more with Mr. Ramu. Indeed a collective group of farmers in the smallest of structure can bring about a mammoth change in their profits. There are various ways to reduce costs in terms of manures/ fertilizers applied in the initial stage alongwith an increase in their produce. Learning to know how is important. There are various NGOs and other government organisations who deliver lectures in rural areas in the same regard.

I also agree that storage of the produce needs to be improved. The farmer groups can dutch in some money to build a common storage space with segregations within for individual/collective use. That way an initial cost would make way for future gains.
    Dear Mr.Sidharth Natarajan sir !

Thank you sir. The opening word of your good self " I could not agree more with Mr.Ramu.." implied that Mr.Sidhardth Natarajan has agreed more with Mr.Ramu.

I am not asking or demanding anyone to agree with Mr.Ramu. I am just presenting the fact. Clearly proven fact....

May be your good self do not agree with Darwin,s theory...

Or else your good self decline to accept the proved technology / phenomenal success achieved by the farmers of Dharmapuri & Krishnagiri district of Tamilnadu where in a marginal farmer hither to tilling his land for only subsistence , toiling and moiling in the soil could go by scorpio car...

Fact 0.5 ha of brinjal yielded 130 MT of brinjal thro' precision Farming technology...Technology introduced in that area by Tamilnadu Agricultural University in collaboration with a hi tech consultancy from Michigan state University , USA....

Or the chronic problem being faced by Indian farming community from before Indian independence till this moment is not acceptable to your good self..

Or it is of your opinion that every where Agriculture is going as a lucrative business without problems...

Or your good self think that those who deal in Agriculture business from within four walls as purely a business man really know the farmers problem than those NGOs and those government organisations who brought and implemented Green revolution during 1966-67 & produced surplus food grain to feed the mouths of alarmingly increasing Indian population...

Or your good self think that those business man who cheat farming community
    by charging more than real worth of various agriculture inputs is superior in understanding real farmers problem than those NGOs and government organisation who teach the farmers at their door steps and guide them in their effort to excel in their agriculture production methods...

In India barring few well off farmers I am talking about poor farming fraternity whose life is yet at stake for various reasons...If am posting anything in this agriculture information.com forum means it is purely for those real farmers who I sincerely pray, can be benefited thro' my postings ...which is fully of practical experience happened with the farmers during one or other time...

I am not a business man here to make money ...like some one who boast of themselves as dealing in agriculture inputs as if serving poor farmers by selling Rs.5 worth materials many hundred times more...as a vested interest..

Anyhow I sincerely request your good self to seriously peruse my posting once again and pin point where exactly you differ ...

Any how I thank your good self for having responded to my postings...

Regards,

Ramu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast