Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Problems faced by Farmers in India

Register

Can the problems of farmers be solved through healthy discussion?

• Total voters

Click Here!

editorialteam

Dear Mr. Shetty,

You are a paddy farmer. We notice - the rice prices have suddenly shot up very high. What could be the reason for same?

Regards,
Shweta - Editorial Team

editorialteam

Dear Mr. Shetty,

You are a paddy farmer. We notice - the rice prices have suddenly shot up very high. What could be the reason for same?

Regards,
Shweta - Editorial Team
Really it is a good thing that has happened recently for agriculture. But I think rice prices should not come down to lower than Rs 50 per kg. Considering the aspects and difficulties we are facing in growing paddy, a price less than Rs 50 per kg for rice is not sufficient to survive, but it is not for making money. Due to geological problem, rice production is less in our country this year and also rice is exported to other countries, and so the price of rice has suddenly jumped. Government should ensure farmers for the steady and good prices for the crops to encourage them to continue with agriculture.

Shares -
Mr. Ganesh Shetty
Gaurav Farms

editorialteam

More and more people are opting out of agriculture due to various problems like, labor , storage and logistic problems, no having assured buyback ,Fluctuation in pricing etc. This is dangerous. At the same time many youngsters are intending to take up agriculture as an activity for their second part of the life (after 40 or 50 years).so that they can lead tension free life. Aware ness regarding various government support like N H B and S H B subsidies , cold storage and logistic opportunities, export potential for some product need to be communicated through media. Land owning norms need to be liberalized.

In my opinion government should give better prices for agri commodities rather than do farm loan waiving. In this way a farmer who has availed Loan and has really put in effort in growing should be given almost market price (like milk price + subsidy given by Karnataka government).Transportation and handling charges /processing charges incurred by government should be set off as subsidy. In the recent wavier of farm loans farmers who have repaid the loan back out of the profits generated were not benefitted at all, instead motivated them not to pay back loans if loans are taken in future.

Also government should come out with better insurance schemes in case of failure in proper rains, excess rain, drought/floods. A farmer who has really taken care in cultivating land and had done proper sowing and care taking should be covered to the extent of minimum payback in case of natural disasters. At the same time if he put good efforts his produce should be bought at good price. Most importantly the benefit should be given to only those who have gone in far actual cultivation rather than full area. This way, farming as way of earning ensures minimum guaranteed returns since it depends mainly on nature.

Also more emphasis needs to be given for organic farming practices and reduce dependence on chemical fertilizers which are becoming expensive and are spoiling soil fertility.

As told by-
Suresh Babu Bellur from Switch Craft India

bharatbook

This is thread is about exposing the truth about the Indian farms,
and it is also true that due to increase of foreign investments this situation might be going to be more bad changes. Some actions and also awareness is required in the farmers for adapting new things for their better survival and income without no more trouble.

editorialteam

Big questions that confront the farmers in India today-

Poor backward and forward linkages to the markets, Scarce water resources, scarce availability of power, inefficient extension services, division of land, low yielding seeds, inefficient use of fertilizers and poor realization to farmers for their agriculture produce etc.

Role of Indian agriculture universities and other education institutions in solving the problems faced by the farmers -

Mandate of agriculture universities and other education institutes remains education and research, but not the extension. Farmers need proper extension from these institutes. Organizations like us as ISAP are instrumental in transferring technology from labs to land.

Shared by-
Mr. Om Prakash of Indian society of Agribusiness (ISAP)

editorialteam

Farmers are not able to get maximum benefit from the cultivation because of lack of awareness, and negligence from the government.

The government has made the policies, but the staff recruited by the government is not doing their job properly. What can the government or a local farmer can do. It is the responsibility of educated people to reach out to the farmer and educate them. If not regularly at least once in a year the farmer should be educated of the available provisions. But now, what is happening is that if a farmer who produces a good amount of any vegetable or other things and goes to the market to sell, gets some help from these government staff. If the farmer goes to their office to get some treatment for their crop affected by insects, they will suggest an insecticide and discourage the farmer to cultivate that crop. Instead they will suggest to cultivate something else. So instead of helping the farmer to understand his mistake, and encourage him to follow best practices, the government staff discourages him. I will give you a small example. I wanted to produce export quality banana, mango, etc. So I went to the local agricultural office and asked them for some help. Instead of telling me how to proceed with my plan, they asked me not to go ahead with my plan and that I will suffer lose in that. They asked me stick with the crops that can be sold in local market itself like green chilies. That’s their mentality.

Another problem is that though agricultural universities are there, but they don’t come for their research projects like the do in Karnataka or Tamil Nadu. These universities need some land to do their research work, so they will have a tie-up with local farmer to do their projects. So, in my area, these researches are not happening, the government is also not coming forward to educate the farmer. Hence farmer is not aware of the policies and procedures to get the maximum benefit from their yield.

Government has also declared some subsidies to the farmer. If a customer wants to buy a water pump, he can claim for the subsidy. A farmer can also take loans from the bank. There is Kisan credit card also available for their benefit. But the local farmer is not aware of all these facilities. Even the educated people also do not come forward to educate them, so there is a huge communication gap. Only during elections, these politicians come to villages and tell farmers about all the facilities available to gather votes.

Maximum problem is because of dry lands. Now also, a farmer depends on rivers and canals for water or rain. So the whole year they depend on only these sources, so there is a severe water shortage. If they buy a water pump, they are eligible to get subsidy from the government. But the farmer does not know that.

Shares -
Mr. Ashok Sahu
Rice Farmer in Orissa

editorialteam

Big question that confront the farmers in India today-

• High input cost
• Low market rates
• Inefficient produce distribution system

World over farmers are faced with critical challenges of diminishing fertility of the soil which is having an impact on the both quality and quantity of the produce

As told by-
Mr. K. Srinivasa Rao, Director
Village Organics