Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Feed and Fodder for HF cows in Gujarat

Register

Click Here!

unicornbaroda

Dear Experts & Fellow readers,

We are planning to start 10 HF modern Dairy farm near Vadodara, Gujarat.
We are having 1.5 acre of land for farm area, which will include sheds,buckler,calf heifer area, feed storage,office,staff quarters etc.... the floor plan can be sent if required. We hare having exactly 1.8 acres land available for cultivation of green fodder. We have derived the amount needed to invest and three partners are going to invest around 12L each approximately and around 10% of capital will be required for next 1 year.We need guidance on the following points:

1) How much green/dry/additives is required to feed a cow respectively?
2) How much land will be required to cultivate everything for 10 HF cows + calves/heifers, except additives by ourselves(extra land approx(5 Beegha) can be acquired around 40 km away from farm if required) ?
3) What type of feed can be grown that will help getting high milk yield?
4) We are expecting to buy Cows around INR 70K each that will yield 10-12 Kgs a day, So how much we need to feed them to get that much milk every day?
5) What is average price of milk sale, if milk given to Dairy and self parlour counter sale?
6) We are planning for a high class shed with cubical and various cow comfort systems will this help milk yield, if good neat and clean sheds area, hygienic feed and bowl system water is provided to our cattle?

Request to kindly provide more information over these point so we can expedite the planning process.

Amit Sharma
Unicorn Dairy Farms

Last edited:

niksnarayana

Hi
Some info for your queries

1) How much green/dry/additives is required to feed a cow respectively? Depends on size of cow. 500kg cow would require about 15 kg Dry matter intake. Out of this ideally, 1/3 should be green fodder, 1/3 dry fodder and 1/3 concentrates. Calculation is 3% of body weight of the cow should be fed on dry matter basis to the cow.
Try to understand about dry matter calculation, all items have to be fed based on that only. Check out milkproduction.com, it has good information.

2) How much land will be required to cultivate everything for 10 HF cows + calves/heifers, except additives by ourselves(extra land approx(5 Beegha) can be acquired around 40 km away from farm if required) ? 10 HF cows would require at least 1.5 acre if you are growing napier, if you are growing maize, then at least 2 acre.
3) What type of feed can be grown that will help getting high milk yield? Lucerne is the best feed for higher milk production. IF you combine with maize silage, then there is nothing like it.
4) We are expecting to buy Cows around INR 70K each that will yield 10-12 Kgs a day, So how much we need to feed them to get that much milk every day? Dont you think that price is a little too much for HF cow? Are cows really that expensive in Gujrat? In Karnataka, you can get cows producing 20 lts milk per day for around 50K.

5) What is average price of milk sale, if milk given to Dairy and self parlour counter sale? You should check in your local Dairy. Gujrat has plenty of options from Amul to home consumers. I dont think with 10 cows it is prcatical for door to door delivery or counter sale.

6) We are planning for a high class shed with cubical and various cow comfort systems will this help milk yield, if good neat and clean sheds area, hygienic feed and bowl system water is provided to our cattle? Loose housing system will help in increasing milk yield definitely. When cows are free to move around, they are happier which translates to more milk. The points that you have mentioned other than bowl system water are essential for any dairy.Other things like mats, bowls etc are optional and there are much cheaper methods to take care of this.

Good luck.
Nikhil

unicornbaroda

Thanks Nikhil,
Also one more thing, can we start this business without any legal registration we have selected one name how to get that registered as a corporate identity. We are forming a partnership deed and needed a name for our Dairy Farm.

Thanks

niksnarayana

I am not aware of any legal necessities to start a dairy farm. Please check with a CA or CS and also let me know if there is any requirements.

Nikhil

adi123

Dear Experts & Fellow readers,

We are planning to start 10 HF modern Dairy farm near Vadodara, Gujarat.
We are having 1.5 acre of land for farm area, which will include sheds,buckler,calf heifer area, feed storage,office,staff quarters etc.... the floor plan can be sent if required. We hare having exactly 1.8 acres land available for cultivation of green fodder. We have derived the amount needed to invest and three partners are going to invest around 12L each approximately and around 10% of capital will be required for next 1 year.We need guidance on the following points:

2) How much land will be required to cultivate everything for 10 HF cows + calves/heifers, except additives by ourselves(extra land approx(5 Beegha) can be acquired around 40 km away from farm if required) ?
3) What type of feed can be grown that will help getting high milk yield?
4) We are expecting to buy Cows around INR 70K each that will yield 10-12 Kgs a day, So how much we need to feed them to get that much milk every day?
5) What is average price of milk sale, if milk given to Dairy and self parlour counter sale?
6) We are planning for a high class shed with cubical and various cow comfort systems will this help milk yield, if good neat and clean sheds area, hygienic feed and bowl system water is provided to our cattle?

Request to kindly provide more information over these point so we can expedite the planning process.

Amit Sharma
Unicorn Dairy Farms
Hi,

I am also planning the same in Madhya Pradesh. If you can share floor plan really would be having understanding about the same. If possible please share your mobile number.

Thanks in advance.

Sunil

Last edited by a moderator:

nikhilthakkar

Hi

1) How much green/dry/additives is required to feed a cow respectively? Depends on size of cow. 500kg cow would require about 15 kg Dry matter intake. Out of this ideally, 1/3 should be green fodder, 1/3 dry fodder and 1/3 concentrates. Calculation is 3% of body weight of the cow should be fed on dry matter basis to the cow.
Try to understand about dry matter calculation, all items have to be fed based on that only. Check out milkproduction.com, it has good information.

2) How much land will be required to cultivate everything for 10 HF cows + calves/heifers, except additives by ourselves(extra land approx(5 Beegha) can be acquired around 40 km away from farm if required) ? 10 HF cows would require at least 1.5 acre if you are growing napier, if you are growing maize, then at least 2 acre.
3) What type of feed can be grown that will help getting high milk yield? Lucerne is the best feed for higher milk production. IF you combine with maize silage, then there is nothing like it.
4) We are expecting to buy Cows around INR 70K each that will yield 10-12 Kgs a day, So how much we need to feed them to get that much milk every day? Dont you think that price is a little too much for HF cow? Are cows really that expensive in Gujrat? In Karnataka, you can get cows producing 20 lts milk per day for around 50K.

5) What is average price of milk sale, if milk given to Dairy and self parlour counter sale? You should check in your local Dairy. Gujrat has plenty of options from Amul to home consumers. I dont think with 10 cows it is prcatical for door to door delivery or counter sale.

6) We are planning for a high class shed with cubical and various cow comfort systems will this help milk yield, if good neat and clean sheds area, hygienic feed and bowl system water is provided to our cattle? Loose housing system will help in increasing milk yield definitely. When cows are free to move around, they are happier which translates to more milk. The points that you have mentioned other than bowl system water are essential for any dairy.Other things like mats, bowls etc are optional and there are much cheaper methods to take care of this.

Good luck.
Nikhil
Hi Nikhil,
I was happy to read your response. It is very clear and to the point. Do you own dairy farm? I am planning to enter this business before end of 2012. I would be keen to visit your farm to pick some practical learning. Please share your thoughts. Thanks. Nikhil

vinayy

hi

Hi
Nikhil

Am from Koppal Karnataka & am planning to start dairy form .. am having 3 acre land but don't know abt everything abt dairy farm soo can u suggest me that

Total Estimation ? with
Feeding
marketing
and
maintenance

Regards
vinay

dhaval_4

Your Email ID and Mo. no

Hi

Good luck.
Nikhil
HI,

i am dhaval patel and currentely i am located in myosre only as i have read the information posted by you was quite helpful and i am also planning to start dairy farming at my native. so may i have your mob no/ E-mail ID or address so that i cam contact you.
i want to visit your dairy farm as soon as possible.
and thanx for valuable information.

muhunthmu

Hi Nikhil,

Greetings.

We are planning to setup a dairy farm near Bangalore. I had gone through the blogs and found your responses very interesting. We need some help on floor plan and basic things that we need to look at before setting up the Dairy farm. I would like to meet you in person to discuss this. Please let me know when would be the good time to meet you and if you are OK, we would like to see your farm. Want to take a experts advice before we venture into this project.

You can reach me on muhunth.mu@gmail.com. If you could provide your contact details I can call you back. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Muhunth Mu

himanshu88

I am interested in starting a dairy farm with HF cows. Can you please provide your contact details for advice.

himanshu patel
+919831119988

N

niladsadmin

PROBIOTIC FEED FOR CATTLE IN INDIA

The basal diets of ruminants are mainly crop residues (sorghum, bajra and any other plant straws), and low quality pasture with high fiber content deficient in nitrogen, readily fermentable energy, minerals and vitamins.
In India farming contributes 4.9% of rural GDP of the country.
In general, ruminants are colonized by indigenous micro biota, which assist in digestion and nutrient absorption. However, changes in the dietary content could adversely affect the autochthonous gut micro biota, which leads to intestinal dysbiosis and poor digestion.
To overcome such hurdles we have come up with a technology that offers a probiotic-fermented diet using crop residues that are cheap and locally available, to replace expensive and toxic feed additives and dietary supplements. It involves fermentation of forage with the potential probiotic cultures comprising of Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and yeast.
Outcome:
 It can efficiently hydrolyze the fiber rich feed into short chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which serve as readily accessible bio available energy to the animals.
 They offer resistance to the animals against various infections by strengthening the immune system.
 The digestibility rate, feed conversion ratios and health status of the animals will be improved
We hope to provide an effective solution. Kindly contact us to know more regarding our product and customizing our innovation with your specific needs.

Contact Us at : niladsadmin@rediffmail.com or +91-9596652020, +91-8974272405

N

niladsadmin

PROBIOTIC FEED FOR CATTLE IN INDIA

The basal diets of ruminants are mainly crop residues (sorghum, bajra and any other plant straws), and low quality pasture with high fiber content deficient in nitrogen, readily fermentable energy, minerals and vitamins.
In India farming contributes 4.9% of rural GDP of the country.
In general, ruminants are colonized by indigenous micro biota, which assist in digestion and nutrient absorption. However, changes in the dietary content could adversely affect the autochthonous gut micro biota, which leads to intestinal dysbiosis and poor digestion.
To overcome such hurdles we have come up with a technology that offers a probiotic-fermented diet using crop residues that are cheap and locally available, to replace expensive and toxic feed additives and dietary supplements. It involves fermentation of forage with the potential probiotic cultures comprising of Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and yeast.
Outcome:
 It can efficiently hydrolyze the fiber rich feed into short chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which serve as readily accessible bio available energy to the animals.
 They offer resistance to the animals against various infections by strengthening the immune system.
 The digestibility rate, feed conversion ratios and health status of the animals will be improved
We hope to provide an effective solution. Kindly contact us to know more regarding our product and customizing our innovation with your specific needs.

Contact Us at : niladsadmin@rediffmail.com or +91-9596652020, +91-8974272405

somkar

dear sharma

WHATS AVALABLE IN UR AREA
FEED FORMULATION ?

3) What type of feed can be grown that will help getting high milk yield?-
U UNDERSTAND COWMGMT. FIRST- WE GIVE TRAINING OF 32 TOPICS PREPARED AFTER 24 YEARS EXPERIENCE
PL STUDY COW NUTRITION
5) What is average price of milk sale, if milk given to Dairy
DEPENDS ON FAT
and self parlour counter sale?
WHAT U R SEELING?
NOTHING HIGH INVESTMENTS WILL HELP IF U LACK BASIC MGMT TIPS

PL CALL FOR DETAILS
RGDS

DR YOGI

gmppvtltd

Hi to all,

I am jatin Patel from Bhavnagar, Currently i am planning to start dairy farming with 45 HF.
Plz guide me. I am also finding any consultant for that. Plz contact me on below Contact details.
Mo - 9824220654

Thanks