Business Opportunities in Agriculture: 150 Field Interviews (Book)

Is agriculture a good business now??

Register

Click Here!

kamilm

Is agriculture a good business now?

Totally depending on the cultivation and the crop yeild and the place where it is grown. This is a poll open for all.

Please give your answer as YES or NO with valid points. Just surveying......

Regards,

vedamnaidu

Yes . Agriculture a good business now. But we should be change our cultivation process. Governament must be support to farmers.

1.Change of cultivation process
2.using organic fertilizers
3.Improve storage capacity
4.Governament gives subsidy on all cultivation equipments
5.Governament should be buy crop from farmer directly

70% people are depending on cultivation in india, Governament did't support to cultivation.

Ashwini

Hi

Yes, agriculture is an evergreen business. It only depends on how you manage and accept new innovations and apply them to the field.

Regards
Ashwini

SWAMY1807

Is agriculture a good business now??

To get answer to your above question ask yourself the below question
You want to live or not???

If any one wants to live than must and should he should depend on agriculture from where food is coming for life.

Doing a good business for life is now or never?
Totally depending on the decision one should start cultivation and get the crop yield as much as at any place where.

Either business or Agriculture it will give result how you do for it.

This is a poll open for all.
Will you want to live or Not?

Regards,
SWAMY

n0001

Even if it is not as lucrative a business as business in many other areas, I presume agriculture business if done seriously by devoting time, will give reasonable return. Apart from that it will give satisfaction of increasing food grain ( or whichever crop is cultivated) production of our country. It is the most environment friendly business from climate change point of view. Many crops, flavors, varieties are vanishing now. We see apples, peers and many other fruits imported from abroad these days. Perhaps, enough people are not engaging in cultivation. This trend should be reversed. More and more people should tend to agricultural production. Government should provide enough surface water irrigation and less dependence on ground water alone.

nav

niksnarayana

Leaving emotional and philosophy behind, I would like to say that in business terms, agriculture is a good gamble. If you play the game correctly and smartly, then the profits are almost as much as any business. If you dont, then it will not even be worth remembering.
I have lot of respect for my friends who talk about producing food for the nation and all, but at the same time, it is also equally important to talk practical about monetary gains.
People who ask if agriculture is profitable are people who look at agriculture as business.
So we should try to guide correctly.
An example of how agriculture can make or break you.
Last year 2011 from Mar to May, we grew tomato 1 acre. total yield 60 tons, excellent crop. Daily we used to send out 3 tons of tomato, it was a wonderful feeling. However in terms of monetary returns, we got Avg rate Rs. 2/kg. :(

However this year 2012, in the month of Mar and Apr, we have not grown tomato and rates are hovering at Rs. 15 / kg. Imagine if we produced 60 tons and got this rate, we would have made Rs. 9 lacs in just 1 acre in just 3 months ;). Hence I say it is a gamble.

Other crops which have standard govt controlled pricing, they are not worth considering as a business potential since the profits after covering all expenses is very less to be a viable business.

I also feel we should stop blaming the govt for things that dont go our way. The main reason for failure of crops are
1. Weather
2. Pests and diseases
3. Water issues
4. Middlemen
5. Labor issue

In all of the above, I dont see where govt can help the farmer. So I feel we should be honest and work harder to make it successful.

Moral of the story, look at agriculture as a way of life, you will never be disappointed and will live longer and happier.
If you want to look at agriculture as business, be ready for a roller coaster ride.

I am proud to be a farmer no matter what the profits are.

Good luck.

Nikhil

Last edited:

hanuma

Is agriculture a good business now?

Totally depending on the cultivation and the crop yeild and the place where it is grown. This is a poll open for all.

Regards,
Yes.Agriculture is a good venture.Taking profit or making loss depends on the grower.If one adopts good packages and latest techniques/methods,with multiple cropping,depending on the needs and requirements,one can reap profit.One should not depend on weather God.Put hard work and have faith in God,rest will fallow.
Dr.Omkar

sridharj

NO.. NO.. NO.. Its not good business..

Please dont involve in agriculture business... this is my kind advice..

eg: 1 kg paddy = 10 rupees
1 kg paddy Dust -Thavudu (Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu) = 10 rupees

See the difference...

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar

SWAMY1807

WHY?
As per your calculation paddy rs.10 in which you get rs.10 from husk and rice rate can be calculated.

If any one can do it will be win win situation in your example.

But ups and down are common in whole life including Business. Without risks all may not give satisfaction/thrill.
Regards.
SWAMY

Last edited:

vinoravi

Is agri a good business

Dear friends,

For any businessmen ultimate focus would be on profit. As far as I am concerned, some do agriculture for self satisfaction. Of course its pleasure to be in the field. Any farmer who is totaly dependent on agri shall feel bad when things dont work out. But other professionals who are salaried class can offered to do it so, as a side business even if there is no profit. As in my case, that I am working at Delhi, but still involved in farm cultivation at Ambai Trinelveli Dist, TN, through my wellwishers. I am doing it so just because I love this business and would like to concentrate more once time permits may be in 05 yrs down the line.

:rolleyes:

niksnarayana

Mr. Vinoravi,
Its funny that sitting in Delhi, you are doing farming in TN and still able to enjoy it without actually doing it. Unbelievable.
:)

Nikhil

satyfthb

Hi Nikhil, can we talk over your experience on tomato farming? mY # is 9810940101, u can send me sms and will call u

nirbhay singh

Nikhil , excellent post , I have been a commercial Tea Planter for the last 20 years and in the formalized agri business what you say is just as true. The only thing I would like to add to your otherwise complete post is that where the govt can do away with regulatory laws which inhibit direct farm to fork contact should be done immediately. I believe Congress has announced just that in it's state. As of now only Bihar has abolished all regulation leaving farmers free to direct sell to consumers.

This I believe is going be to the game changer and unless we as farmers empower ourselves by moving up on the supply chain we will continue to struggle.

All Best Wishes and thanks once again for the excellent post.

Nirbhay

Leaving emotional and philosophy behind, I would like to say that in business terms, agriculture is a good gamble. If you play the game correctly and smartly, then the profits are almost as much as any business. If you dont, then it will not even be worth remembering.
I have lot of respect for my friends who talk about producing food for the nation and all, but at the same time, it is also equally important to talk practical about monetary gains.
People who ask if agriculture is profitable are people who look at agriculture as business.
So we should try to guide correctly.
An example of how agriculture can make or break you.
Last year 2011 from Mar to May, we grew tomato 1 acre. total yield 60 tons, excellent crop. Daily we used to send out 3 tons of tomato, it was a wonderful feeling. However in terms of monetary returns, we got Avg rate Rs. 2/kg. :(

However this year 2012, in the month of Mar and Apr, we have not grown tomato and rates are hovering at Rs. 15 / kg. Imagine if we produced 60 tons and got this rate, we would have made Rs. 9 lacs in just 1 acre in just 3 months ;). Hence I say it is a gamble.

Other crops which have standard govt controlled pricing, they are not worth considering as a business potential since the profits after covering all expenses is very less to be a viable business.

I also feel we should stop blaming the govt for things that dont go our way. The main reason for failure of crops are
1. Weather
2. Pests and diseases
3. Water issues
4. Middlemen
5. Labor issue

In all of the above, I dont see where govt can help the farmer. So I feel we should be honest and work harder to make it successful.

Moral of the story, look at agriculture as a way of life, you will never be disappointed and will live longer and happier.
If you want to look at agriculture as business, be ready for a roller coaster ride.

I am proud to be a farmer no matter what the profits are.

Good luck.

Nikhil