AgricultureInformation.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Profitable is Moringa (Drumsticks) Cultivation .

Default Have you planted Moringa

Have you planted , we are also planning for the same and appreciate if you can share your experience.

Unhappy My Experience for Drumstick growers

Dear All,

I am cultivating Drumsticks in my farm on around 3 acres of area. My farm is located in Raigad District of Maharashtra. When started, I was quite new to farming. I ventured into agriculture on the basis of information gathered on net and visiting exhibitions and meeting drumstick farmers in Maharashtra.

I decided to plant drumstick on the basis of soil type, water availability. The 30-40 days old saplings were sourced from a reliable farmer who is into drumstick cultivation for many years. But the decision to plant the trees in Monsoon proved to be a mistek as the heavy rains in monsoon ruined the plantation. The plants were very delicate and could not withstand the heavy rains. The whole lot of 1200 plants were lost and had to be replanted in october. Now the plants are 9 months old started bearing pods. On the advice of the experts, I have done the pruning of the trees for better growth.

Now waiting for the first season of harvesting. Even I am wondering about the output in the first season... Expecting around 10-15 kg. of pods per plant. I have learnt that one plant gives 30-35 kg. output per season. Hope to have this result very soon. The rate expected is around Rs. 20-25 Kg. If I sale the produce in the farm itself. Exploring the different possibilities of Marketing for Better rates.

I am sharing my experience for the new farmers/growers and also to receive quality suggestions for better performance in yield and rates. All the best...

Default economics of drumstick and profitability

Quote Originally Posted by creativemandar View Post
    Dear All,

I am cultivating Drumsticks in my farm on around 3 acres of area. My farm is located in Raigad District of Maharashtra. When started, I was quite new to farming. I ventured into agriculture on the basis of information gathered on net and visiting exhibitions and meeting drumstick farmers in Maharashtra.

I decided to plant drumstick on the basis of soil type, water availability. The 30-40 days old saplings were sourced from a reliable farmer who is into drumstick cultivation for many years. But the decision to plant the trees in Monsoon proved to be a mistek as the heavy rains in monsoon ruined the plantation. The plants were very delicate and could not withstand the heavy rains. The whole lot of 1200 plants were lost and had to be replanted in october. Now the plants are 9 months old started bearing pods. On the advice of the experts, I have done the pruning of the trees for better growth.

Now waiting for the first season of harvesting. Even I am wondering about the output in the first season... Expecting around 10-15 kg. of pods per plant. I have learnt that one plant gives 30-35 kg. output per season. Hope to have this result very soon. The rate expected is around Rs. 20-25 Kg. If I sale the produce in the farm itself. Exploring the different possibilities of Marketing for Better rates.

I am sharing my experience for the new farmers/growers and also to receive quality suggestions for better performance in yield and rates. All the best...

Dear Sir
    Thank you for sharing good experience
    Can you email me per acre cost and economics and yield of drumstick.
    contact number pls.

Regards
    Sachin Palkar
    sachinp125@yahoo.com

Dear All,

Dear Sir,

I am new in growing drumstick near Thane
    can you please share your mobile number
    or call me 9819175533 or email sachinp125@yahoo.com

HI
    I would just like to continue on this old thread by requesting for any information that you can give regarding cultivation of moringa in Goa (for leaves).

The soil is mostly sandy. Any idea how much yield of leaves I can expect in an acre, price for dried leaves and also if there is a market for dried leaves (dried using a dryer).

Thanks in advance

Default can you please tell where in raigad your farm is. I like to visit personally

Dear All,

can you please tell where in raigad your farm is. I like to visit personally

Hi, I am Ravi Thorat,a farmer from Shrirampur Maharashtra.I am planning to cultivate about 6 acres of drumstick in a my land having black cotton soil.Can any body suggest me the variety and guide me about the same i.e. method of cultivation,irrigation,harvesting,marketing yield,profit and other concern parameters.
    Thanks.
    Ravi.
    +91-9422245560.
    ravithorat21@gmail.com

Hi Rehman,

The moringa cultivation is very good commercial cultivation now a days.But I think that you wn't get Rs six lakh in one acre.In Tamilnadu there is pumper this yield this year an acount of no rain.So merchants of the/market sell the moringa as bundle like 20 moringa sricks for ten rupees.In Tamilnadu the hotel people used the moringa in sambar,pachadi,curry and fried curry regularly.So you have quoted Rs 30/- also too high in tamilnadu.Last year i have purchased one moringsa stick for ten rupess.So this is the yield and marketing viablity.Some body stated that doing of intercrop in moringa is not suitable since the moringa tree/plants are very softy .So if labours move in the moringa garden firstup all flower sheddling will be there and the branchs also be broken without their knowledge.

regards

a sivakumar,

PHP Code:
    [HTML][/HTML
    [INDENT] [/INDENT

Blog Entries

At the risk of bursting a few bubbles here, I would like to offer advice for this group's long term success.

Most discussions are around soil type and cultivation methods. It is equally important to realize the market potential and expected returns on investment / effort. Unless this is a hobby, I would think each of us would like to see at least an appreciable profit. In our experience, we realized that Monringa pods are a commodity produce and did not warrant any long term serious investment. Farmgate rates range between Rs 10-25 per kg in Tamil Nadu. Do not compare your margin based on the grocery shop price, instead investigate the farm-gate or mandi price to understand the true arithmetic for your cultivation. In our case, Moringa Pods have become a steady side track with marginal profits and though it is easy to cultivate we do not plan to increase any acreages.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12